Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Trip to Sri Lanka (and Singapore & Hong Kong)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Sri Lanka (and Singapore & Hong Kong)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent!
The Bridge & CX 882 HKG - LAX

Despite flying to/from/through HKG quite often, today would be my first time utilising one of CX's lounges here. As someone who was formerly quite loyal to Star Alliance, I frankly hadn't flown CX very often over the past decade, outside of the prior day's flight from CMB.

As always, HKG was easy to use, although I do find that the security lines seem to be getting worse. At least I am able to complete the exit immigration procedures in a minute or so due to my Hong Kong Identification Card, so it balances out.

Despite our flight leaving from gate 19, located quite near the immigration hall, I made the hike down to The Bridge. It was an interesting set up to have to go down from the departures level in order to access the lounge and once down below, one could choose whether to go left or right in order to access different parts of the lounge. In my case, I made a left to the north wing and was a bit perplexed by the set up, wondering where all the East Asian food items were, along with the lack of showers, only to realise that those items were in the south wing of the lounge. I did find that the south wing overall was much less crowded, especially if one sat in the dining room.

I found the lounge to be good but not mind blowing. I think I enjoyed the tarmac views the most and the shower room was one of the nicer ones I've experienced.

North wing of The Bridge

Tarmac views

Shower room sink area

The shower

It was a long walk back to the gate but I'm glad I went to go check out The Bridge. However, if I have another chance to visit one of CX's lounges at HKG, I'll probably stick to the one closest to my gate.

30 May 2016
Cathay Pacific 882
Hong Kong International (HKG)
16:38
Los Angeles International (LAX) 14:19
12h 42m
Boeing 777-300ER
B-KPL

Our OneWorld liveried aircraft at home in Hong Kong

I managed to secure a seat in the mini cabin, which really gave the cabin a very private feel. That being said, the mini cabin was full, although I didn't manage to get back to the main business class cabin during the flight. I don't recall a PDB service on this flight but regardless, we pushed back on time and proceeded on our long taxi to the other side of the airport for a departure on runway 25L.

FM & MU

AY Airbus A350-900. I still haven't had a chance to fly on an A350.

LX Boeing 777-300ER

Airbus A330-300 brethren

This Airbus A340-300 reminded me of the time I was miraculously upgraded on a HKG - SFO flight in 2002, despite having no airline status. I maintain to this day that they must've gotten me mixed up with someone else that had my name.

Following SQ.

SA Airbus A340-600. I doubt I'll ever get to fly on an A340-600

After that long tour, we finally departed and shortly thereafter, we were served either a very late lunch or an early dinner. My memories of this flight are a bit hazy at this point but I will say that the seat was comfortable, the food was better than I was expecting and I was also highly encouraged to have some of the wines from Languedoc-Roussillon. I couldn't tell you anything else about the wine I had, though.

StudioCX. I watched a local film, She Remembers, He Forgets, which I found to be merely okay despite having a few actors/actresses that I like in it

Cloud Nine (Vodka, Cointreau and Sprite) along with some nuts. The specialty cocktail was a bit too sweet for my tastes

Appetiser of Parma Ham and melon, along with mixed salad, kalamata olives, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Also some garlic bread I selected

Grilled Australian prime beef tenderloin, sauteed mixed mushrooms, asparagus, carrot, potato, red win sauce

To finish: Stilton, St. Paulin, Camembert, crackers and spiced pear paste

Midflight snack of barbecued duck in lai fun noodle soup. I liked this a lot as I always like local touches in airline catering

Main course for breakfast was prawn and scallop congee with stir fried egg noodles

Along with a fruit plate. An airplane cabin is the only time I have congee with a fruit plate

All in all, a pleasant but unmemorable flight. CX seems to get a bad rap at times and certainly, the airline is struggling, but I would fly them again with no hesitation. I will say that I seemed to enjoy my CMB - HKG more than this one, FWIW. The only thing interesting about our arrival at LAX was that we were assigned a remote gate, which is always annoying.

The only good thing about parking at a remote gate at LAX was getting this shot

I headed back home in AS F, which is too unexciting to write about and I didn't bother taking any photos. Once again, thanks to all for reading this report ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.