Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Collecting Continents: Circle of the World, but not RTW

Collecting Continents: Circle of the World, but not RTW

Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Looking forward to another epic TR!! We want loads of pics......
Personally, I'm looking forward to some good craft beers with you in jhb hopefully!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
You end up taking ATL-SCL?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
You end up taking ATL-SCL?
I did - had a lovely flight I need to check social media policy before I make the first post of this TR
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Subscribing
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I did - had a lovely flight I need to check social media policy before I make the first post of this TR
You just can't post anything proprietary. I almost always write trip reports for my bigger trips, I just don't mention the nonrev part since it irks some nerves on here lol.
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
You just can't post anything proprietary. I almost always write trip reports for my bigger trips, I just don't mention the nonrev part since it irks some nerves on here lol.
Ah cool, thanks, and fair enough. Since I had a very positive experience, I guess I can post/comment away Preview: seats and meals blew away anything I've had on AA/UA, and the crew was right up there with the friendliest I've had on UA/AA - although I get that can be a very hit and miss experience with any airline.

Off to BA tomorrow....I'll get to this soon, but who knew Chile had such a nice craft beer scene!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Personally, I'm looking forward to some good craft beers with you in jhb hopefully!
Sent you a PM...
Safe travels.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Prelude: a funny thing happened just three days into the trip

It's funny - I convinced myself this was a post I would never write. After all, I went to all 193 UN Member States without so much as travel insurance, never mind giving a second thought to medical insurance. I knew my policy through work was good, and convinced myself I was in good shape in case anything happened.

Well, "anything" finally happened yesterday in Buenos Aires, Argentina at the start of a 3+ week trip.

For anyone who knows Argentina, I looked both ways, confirmed the crosswalk light indicated it was mine, and started across Avenida 9 de Julio. I might have been looking at my phone as I crossed - I don't remember - but regardless a car came from my back right direction and made a left onto Av. 9 de Julio, striking me in the right side. I flew up onto the hood of the car (thank God for being tall - any shorter I might have gone under).

After the driver realized what she'd done, she slammed the breaks, and I flew off the hood into the middle of the road...somehow landing on my feed and stumbling 10 steps backwards...still on my feet. I have no clue now I managed to land like this - especially given how uncoordinated I am, but I was very, very fortunate.

I stood there in the middle of the street, and just stared at the driver through the window. I would learn later she was just as paralyzed with fear as I was, and we didn't know what to do. I seemed "ok" so motioned her to pull over to the side of the road as I walked there. I didn't realize it at the time, but all the other drivers had seen this, and many had called the police.

As we both stood there on the side of the road shaking, I told her I was going to call the police. But, truth be told, I had no idea how to do that. You don't just dial 911 in Argentina, and I don't know the local emergency numbers. Before I could think what to do next - the police arrived thanks to the other drivers who had called them.

After the arrived, I calmed down enough to start to assess the situation. My first instinct was to take as pany pictures as possible to document things myself. I didn't feel like relying on the police to make sure I was taken care of...but it sure helped having them there. One teaser pic, the damage I did to the car:

The tough part here was, neither the driver or the police spoke a word of English. My Spanish is ok for ordering food and having a basic conversation, but trying to talk about medical needs and accidents - well that was a challenge. Fortunately, the driver confessed it was all her fault - she was distracted by her toddler in the back seat, and she insisted that I go to the hospital, and she needed to know I was ok. Despite her complete carelessness, I was very, very glad to see she wanted to make sure I was taken care of.

After a quick inventory, I determined that somehow nothing was broken despite being struck hard enough to launch me onto the hood of the car, no major cuts or abrasions, and just lots of soreness and bruising. The police and the driver insisted I go to the hospital, but I declined. I knew there was nothing they would be able to do (since no broken bones) and it semed a pointless waste of time. I wanted to see the things I was heading to see!

So, fast forward 24 hours now. Still convinced no serious damage, but I'm incredibly sore. Maybe a tiny limp, and there's gonna be some serious bruising coming. I have to decide tomorrow: fly home, refund the rest of the trip, and call it a lesson learned, or soldier on knowing I've pretty much passed the point of no return.

My concern from today is: I had to take it really easy due to how sore I was, and how much fun will I have over the coming week if I have to do that? Time will tell.

Anyways, long post to say: you might think you'll never have a medical/police issue when traveling, but it's always best to be prepared...just in case!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Holy crap, glad your (mostly) OK! Thanks goodness.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Ouch!

Hope the bruises and the pain go away quickly for you!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, "anything" finally happened yesterday in Buenos Aires, Argentina at the start of a 3+ week trip.
Ouch!

Glad to hear you're physically okay.

Also ... glad the driver learnt she needs to keep her eyes on the road in a way where no one got seriously injured.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:05 am

Very sorry to hear about your accident but glad that you're OK
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Oh dang! I cringed looking at that photo.

Glad you are ok.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
OMG! I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels

Good grief!!! That is one helluva dent - hope that you are all okay. But, what is the red on the car? You said no breaks, blood or anything like that. Hope that you went to an emergency Room - for peace of mind, and also to stock up on the best meds one can "legally" obtain.

You never know how you may feel the next day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.