Wiki Posts
Search

Striking Alaska off the bucket list, well, sorta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:43 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by nequine
Is that the same train featured in the TV series Railroad Alaska?
Yes. There's only one route (with a couple of very short spurs) in Alaska.

nequine and an_asker like this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thank you!

I enjoy watching that series when we see it in the UK!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, IHG
Day 7 (concluded)

2.5 hours to Fairbanks, 2.5 hours to Yukon R., five more to get back up to Denali (in the other direction), and two more to Talkeetna. Starting at one pm, some quick back-of-the-envelope estimates (stop laughing, you Alaskans!) informed me that if we were to touch Yukon R. (even figuratively if not literally), it would put us back at Talkeetna at one am. As the host had informed us that our keys would be in a place where we could pick them up even if no one representing them was around, I was still thinking that we could do it. By the time we headed north from Fairbanks at about five pm, I had revised the itinerary. But first things first.

Immediately after turning left onto the Parks Highway and crossing the first bridge over the Nenana River, we passed the grocery stores and adventure/excursion companies - and absolutely loved the scenery in front of us once we went past the Denali park-related traffic. Though there was construction crew slowing traffic from both direction, there was not much traffic to impede our progress. The river was to our left, and a horizontal cut along the slope of the hills to the left (west) of the river indicated the railroad track of the Alaskan railroad.

Soon thereafter, we crossed the river once more and now we were to the left (west) of it and climbing. The land started to fall away to our right. We were then in an area where the hill was to the left of the road, and past some vegetation to the right, we could see the sprawling landscape with greenery - as we didn't have any human perspective from this area, it is difficult to judge the density and height of the vegetation though there are definitely a few trees mixed in with the shrubs and the grasses. Throughout this timeframe, it was still drizzling and cloudy. Not as much as when we had traveled from Palmer to Denali, but still a bit nevertheless.

After about an hour, we crossed a bridge over the Tenana River - the Nenana is a tributary to this river. When I had originally scoped out Alaska, I had thought of driving up here to take a photo of the train on its river bridge. However, that was before I had gotten ambitious and decided to take us all upto the Yukon! So, we didn't stay to take in the sights or get down the car. I figured that - based on our itinerary - we would still be back here by about 7:30 ish and could take a photo of the train and the bridge at that time.

Not too late after this, we started seeing more continuous signs of human habitation and were in the outskirts of Fairbanks. At this point, I needed to get directions from DS as I didn't have the exact highway information in my mind. We had two options to get to the highway that goes towards the Dalton Highway - one involving cutting through town, and the other was to stay on the freeway. We decided to pick the latter option. As I was driving, we suddenly were on a bridge/overpass and I looked over to the right and saw what looked like a beautiful little lake and a paddleboat anchored by the shoreline. I decided to take a short detour to check out the area and take a couple of photos.

Turns out the boat - the Tanana Chief - is among the attractions of the area and offers cruises on the Tanana River.

And we also came across the site where the Iditarod race started twice since the turn of the century as you can see from the infoboard.

Spotting a Walmart, we then decided to use the restroom and purchase some groceries. As we were about to turn into Walmart, we also spied a Papa John's. So, we went online and placed an order for pizzas which we could pick up on the way out of Walmart. And so it was that by the time we were back on the Highway - I recall the names Steese, Elliott and Richardson. However, checking on google now, I am thoroughly confused which ones we were on and which we were not. For example, this site talks about Alaskan interstates but apparently they are unsigned! Also, sample this - I was quite sure we were on Steese, but the website informs us that Steese is an unpaved road (maybe for a portion of its duration). Similarly, the road numbers appear to span multiple road names and vice versa! Anyway, as we were following the road numbers and the destination signs (to Livengood), we didn't have any navigational issues.

Right outside of Fairbanks, we came upon a sign that pointed to an oil pipeline. Though I vaguely remembered a reference to it from my friend, I had not researched the pipeline at all. So, it was fun reading about it and taking photos of ourselves by it.

Apparently people do climb up the pipeline (and post their exploits online), but we didn't come across miscreants like that. In fact, we met a nice family who had traveled from North Pole (Alaska), Anchorage and Phoenix, and were returning back to Anchorage that day!

The Trans Alaskan pipeline climbs a hill and disappears into the earth

Continuing on the road, we lost track of when we passed the final traces of human civilization and were all by ourselves in the vast Alaskan landscape. In my tunnel vision of the Dalton, I had not really read up on how empty and desolate the area would be - however, one thing I had made sure of was to fill up the gas tank after leaving Papa John's :-)

There were quite a few sections of the road with pronounced frost heave. Though for the most part, I could see the change in the pavement texture (such as in this photo) and slow down in advance ...

... in some other places, we had what felt like a roller coaster ride (sorry, rental car agency!).

By about 6:45 pm, we reached what we unanimously agreed would be the turning point - the point where the Dalton Highway begins.

As we stood there taking photos, a truck roared by and disappeared into the expanse of unpaved road. He was definitely not going 50 mph!!

We left at about 7:15 pm on our return trip. DW drove back to Fairbanks and I caught a bit of shut eye. We took one more restroom break at the Walmart after which I got back in the driver's seat. We stopped near the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus to look at Caribou in a ranch-type (?) setting. The trip was uneventful for the most part and we passed the Denali park area at about 11:15 pm. I took a couple more photos to wonder at how bright it still was so close to midnight.

Then DW took over driving as I was feeling really sleepy. I had just about nodded off when she said "Moose!!"

"What?! Huh? Where?! Stop!!!"

I was wide awake now and camera in hand.

DW: "There, right behind us!"

And sure enough, there was madam Moose and her little one. I immediately got out of the car and watched their indecision. At that moment, an eighteen-wheeler rumbled up and, being more experienced, he stopped well short of the pair as well.

At that point, mom and calf crossed the road and bounded off into the woods. We continued along - stopping at both the North and South vistas to see if we could catch a glimpse of Denali again (we barely saw the outlines of the mountains but not really the peaks) - and reached our destination in Talkeetna at about 1:30 am. Not too shabby, I would say!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by an_asker

At that point, mom and calf crossed the road and bounded off into the woods. We continued along - stopping at both the North and South vistas to see if we could catch a glimpse of Denali again (we barely saw the outlines of the mountains but not really the peaks) - and reached our destination in Talkeetna at about 1:30 am. Not too shabby, I would say!
Nice experience! Safety first seems no to be her slogan
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Day 8

The plan for today was for DD and my mother to stay at the Talkeetna cabin and relax for the day. The Wifi and smartphone combination was enough for DD and my mother was OK to sit and read whatever info material we had collected around Alaska thus far. As for DW, DS and me, we planned to go upto Eielson and check out the visitor information movies and also hoped to spot some wildlife as well.

When I went up to the office clubhouse to get some coffee, I learned from the staff that the office would have a bonfire going at seven pm that would last through ten pm if guests were interested in hanging out. The impression I got was that if guests were not out there, it might die down quicker than that. So, I thought that it might be a good idea for us to return by about eight pm so we could take DD and my mother to the bonfire.

But as we really did not have a set plan (the Eielson visit was still a bit loosy goosy), we all lazed about more than we should have. The result of that was that we were a bit later there than our scheduled time. Now, per the website, it is difficult to accommodate you once you miss your scheduled; however, our actual experience was that they try their best to accommodate you. In our case, we were able to get into the next available shuttle to Eielson. The problem now was that it was right after noon. A quick calculation showed that if we were to go all the way, the earliest we could expect to be back here was 8:30 pm, which would put in Talkeetna at 10:30 pm!

Needless to say, we revised our plan for the day (so, what's new?!). Now, we would just go up to Teklanika and return, hoping that we would be able to a) see some wildlife by then and b) catch a quick return shuttle. To be honest, I was also a bit intimidated by the slopes of the mountainside where the park road is cut into, and I felt that the bus drivers (especially on the return trip) hug the edge too closely. So, I was not too miffed at missing out on Eielson (though we could've stuck to the itinerary and informed DD and my mother that we would be late returning to the cabin, and gone all the way there).

Also, the quick return would give us a chance to watch the entire dog sled presentation too. Moreover, we would be able to visit the post office and mail ourselves some souvenir cards stamped at Denali!

Like yesterday, the day was not too bright and we did not expect to be seeing Denali. When we got onto the shuttle, we informed our driver that we would like to be dropped off at Teklanika and we would catch the first available shuttle that was returning. In about an ninety minutes, we were at Teklanika. By now, I had remembered that I had left my sweater in the car, as this was the coldest of the three days we were at Denali! Hello Murphy!!

The Alaskan state bird is all the wildlife we saw today

Back I went to talk to the driver, asking him if we could stay in the bus and he could ask the nest returning bus driver - as we were about to cross - if there was space for us. He didn't have an issue with that, though he said that we might not be able to return on the first bus we encountered. We were OK with that, because the situation would've been the same even if he were to leave us at Teklanika.

In any event, as we were about to get to the bridge at Teklanika, we saw a bus coming in the other direction who had space for us. The minute we climbed on, the other passengers said, "So, you didn't want to see the bears, eh?" It was just our luck on that day - those folks had seen a sow and her kiddos not five minutes past that point. Had we stayed on our shuttle, we might have right now been seeing them! Bah, humbug, we said, and took our seats.

I forgot to say one thing - our bus drivers for the day were the least vocal of the ones we encountered. In fact, the bus drivers' communication about the parks kept going down on each bus - Courteous Ken from Kentucky was the best, then it was T.P., followed by the two drivers of today. They had not received the gift of the gab!

We were near the dog kennels and it was not yet even three pm. The driver asked if anyone would like to be dropped off here. I said sure, we would. But just as we were about to get down, I remembered my missing sweater. So, I asked DS and DW to get down but I would stay on the bus, so I could go and get the car and return here with it.

And so it was that we got to watch the dog show. When we told her about it a couple of weeks after we returned, DD was not too happy to know about that. The dog show was underwhelming, though DW said that she did not expect to have seen much more than she did. But it was a fun experience nevertheless.

Once we were done with the dog show, we drove to the Visitor Center as we had not been inside even once (we had stopped by the first evening when it was pouring, but the Center had closed for the day by then). Soon, we heard the whistle of a train. DS and I came out and realized that the train station was just a short walk away. DW not being interested, DS and I walked over for some more railfanning.

The five pm departure for Fairbanks had just arrived ...

... and it soon departed

Later, we visited the Post Office and mailed our souvenirs, and posed for some photos by the park entrance

Alaskan summer sun at ten pm!!

By the time we then returned to the cabin, it was past eight pm, and we then visited the office to check out the books they had (there were a lot of Alaska related books that I had never seen in the libraries or bookstores here). The bonfire was a bit of a letdown, and - hindsight being 20/20 - we probably would have been better off going to Eielson and returning later than ten pm. Oh well!

So ends our visit to the Denali area. Tomorrow, we head for our final (and longest) base in Alaska at Cooper Landing!
nequine likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Nice experience! Safety first seems no to be her slogan
offerendum:

True enough, but she did look both sides before crossing ;-)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

offerendum:

True enough, but she did look both sides before crossing ;-)
Really had to laugh! Thanks fot this as I try for 3 hours to get my PC working
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Day 9

Today was a travel day - I did not have anything major planned, other than to get to Cooper Landing that evening. A few months ago, when researching Alaska, I had seen photos of Byers lake and wanted to see the views as well. However, as a hike was needed to get to it, I had put it on the backburner. Yesterday, I had had half a mind to stop by the Byers Lake to enjoy the scenery, but had not done so as we were in a hurry to get back. Now, that we would have time to spare, I thought that maybe we could drive up to this point and check out the lake as well as the South view point of Denali on the Parks Highway.

However, we got up late and also had to clean up from last night's dinner and this morning's breakfast as we were to check out of the place first. By the time we were done with all that, it was already past 10 am. We had planned to go have lunch at an Indian buffet place in Anchorage. Now, it was looking tough unless we pared our plans. So, we decided to drop Byers Lake altogether and just go up to the South viewpoint.

Though Denali had decided to stay hidden today as well, we walked up the trail a little bit up to a higher spot where there were some infoboards and we could see Ruth glacier.

Ruth glacier

It was touch and go after that, and we were debating whether to go for the buffet or order a la carte. But we were able to get there just before the deadline. The buffet was closing at 3 pm, and we presented ourselves at 2:45! The buffet was quite filling, though the quality was good but not exceptional. Given that we had not had home food for more than a week, we went hog wild :-)

For what it is worth, the decor was pretty good compared to most places we frequent here close to home

After a good lunch, we were back on our way to Cooper Landing. The tide was out, and at Beluga Point, the ground was quite boggy.

DS literally got bogged down for a minute before he was able to extricate himself.

His shoes were a sight to see though!

Once we passed our last familiar landmarks (the Portage Glacier Road turnoff) on the Seward Highway, the road takes a dramatic U-turn around Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet. After another turn, we leave the water behind and climb a bit along one hillside. The road is the direct access to Seward, but we turned off about 30-45 minutes north of Seward to go toward our Airbnb in Cooper Landing, which we reached after an uneventful journey.

A rant about some Airbnbs (such as this one): to me, a good and proper Airbnb is a house that belongs to the host, which the host either stays in as well and rents out a bedroom or two, or the host rents out the entire unit but stays close by. In addition, the host provides a decent breakfast as well, lacking which facilities are available for the visitors to make their own breakfast (at least bread toast and/or bake pizza for later). One other thing that really is a good feature is privacy from neighboring homeowners - this is good not only for the guests but also to maintain good relations between the hosts and neighbors. We had really lucked out with the Palmer accommodation. Cooper Landing? Not so!

This is where the host actually runs a motel which does not even have the basic amenities that one would expect in a motel.Yes, I realize that at our price point, maybe that is all that was available. But then, I feel that it should be listed on an Airbnb - maybe only on hotels.com or booking.com - if the only kitchen-related amenity is coffee, and that too only when the host opens the office at 8 am. I could not even get ESPN - to watch some Wimbledon tennis - on the satellite TV which had tens of other channels. Thankfully, we at least had internet.

I am not blaming the host or Airbnb - I could have asked specific questions such as whether the room had an oven or not (it didn't), a microwave (none available), etc. But for sure, it was more than sufficient if you needed to spend a night there - but we were there for three nights and were decidedly underwhelmed at the facility! But I didn't complain on Airbnb or to the host, and won't name the facility here either. After all, I should have done better homework (and maybe that was all that we could've had under the budget accommodation category).
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:54 am

Some amazing photo's from a very beautiful part of the world, an_asker. Many thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW
Some amazing photo's from a very beautiful part of the world, an_asker. Many thanks for sharing.
Coming from a professional and someone who's probably been around the world more times than the countries I've been in(!), that's high praise indeed. Really appreciate it. And you are quite welcome.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
His shoes were a sight to see though!
I hope you made him take off his trainers before getting back into the car!!!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Day 10

The two day cruises we had taken from Whittier had both departed right after noon; the reporting time had been after 11 am. However, the cruise that we were signed up for out of Seward was leaving at 10 am and the reporting time was just after 9 am, so we had to hurry up to get there in time. If we left at about 7:30 am, we thought it would be sufficient for us to get there in time.

The day before though, we ran into our elderly neighbor at the Airbnb, who said that it would take about two hours and likely even more if there were to be traffic and/or accidents. We would also need to wait for a tunnel. He kindly offered to give us a newspaper that had detailed information. Listening to him, I was confused. I didn't recall reading anything about a tunnel to Seward - but as he obviously had visited in the recent past, I thought maybe I had missed something.

To be on the safe side, I decided to talk about it with our host. He confirmed that there was no tunnel and that if we left at 7:30 am, it should not be an issue, unless there was an accident somewhere! I decided that the neighbor must have - for whatever reason - mixed up Seward and Whittier!

Because we had to wake up really early, though the accommodation was comfortable, we had a fitful sleep. Besides, I was hoping for good weather and smooth seas. As it turned out, our day couldn't have been much better. We woke up at about 6 am to a sunny day, quickly got ready with butter and jam sandwiches for lunch and left on time. The route to Seward is quite scenic with mountains on both sides and for the most part of the route, we had Kenai Lake to our right (though I didn't realize it was one lake until I looked closely at the map upon returning!). We passed through the little town of Moose Pass along the way - this had been one of the places to stay that I had researched, but hadn't found anything decent that fit our budget. Though it is much closer to Seward, I was thankful we didn't pick it as it didn't appear that there was much to the town (I am sure folks who have stayed there might have better information of things to do!).

As we started to see the outskirts of Seward, I realized that we were well ahead of schedule. It was about 8:15 am, so when I saw the road sign to Exit Glacier, I decided to take that fork. I thought that if we went about 15 minutes and didn't get to the end of the road, we would turn right around. It was less than 15 minutes when we could see the glacier from the road itself. So, we decided to go all the way and take a couple of photos. But once we got closer and parked at the entrance parking lot, we found that we could no longer see the glacier among the mountain and the trees. So, we made the best of the visit by checking out the visitor center and using the restrooms.

We then retraced our path back into Seward, which was impressively bigger than Whittier (and we never did go all the way to the end of Seward). We were impressed, too, that it had a Subway, a Safeway and many restaurants as well, should we need food later in the evening.

The Major Marine Tours office in Seward

Without much ado, I was able to get our boarding passes at Major Marine Tours' office. We were unsure where to park, though I recalled reading that MMT would refund the parking fee for the day. At this point, we had parked at a nearby two hour parking zone. The agent informed me that we needed to turn onto the main road, and make a left to park at the paid parking lot. They would reimburse us for the parking fee in the evening after the cruise.

Shortly, it was time for us all to board. And here is my biggest peeve with MMT: on our first cruise from Whittier, we got the front seating in the boat (not that we stayed on the seat for the whole duration of the cruise). On the second cruise also, we got seats that were by the window though not in front. I didn't ask, but I assumed that we got our seat assignment based on when we had purchased the tickets.

But on the cruise out of Seward, we got assigned a bench in the middle of the boat ... on the UPPER deck! This would not have been an issue if we were travelling without my mother; and even that would not have been a problem had the restrooms and the coffee/tea been available on both decks. But no, for that one needed to come down then go back up. So, I asked the crew (Sean) if he could accommodate us on the lower deck, as my mother would've difficulty going up and down (one thing I had realized from the previous two days was that my mother would need to get tea - she preferred to get it herself to mix in the right amount of sugar and half-and-half - and use the restroom multiple times during the cruise).

When Sean expressed his inability as the boat was full, we had no other option but to proceed up the stairs. As the passengers were not being informed which seat was reserved for them, I thought that he could've rearranged it such that we were on the lower deck and some other - fitter - party could've been moved to the upper deck.

Be that as it may, I decided to hang around on the lower deck in case someone didn't make it. As the boat almost filled up, I grabbed a spot on one of the cushioned seats by the windows that was still vacant. When I noticed that there were no more passengers waiting in line to be checked in by Sean, I approached him and asked him if we could have the seats I was sitting at. He said that we could (I was so glad!). I immediately rushed up the stairs and got everyone downstairs. That worked out perfectly.

I thought that as I had bought our tickets so far in advance (March), we should have gotten the lower deck or at least, we should've been asked if we have a preference. Since returning home, though, I have realized that probably even purchasing in March might not have been sufficiently enough in advance to get prime seating locations (though I never got a firm answer as to how they determine their seat allotments).

Soon, we were underway and immediately, I realized that the sea was much calmer than how it had been when we were at the Great Barrier Reef last year. This time, though, I was well prepared and had downed an anti-nausea pill. Soon, we were past the end of Seward town and in sight of our first glacier of the day.

The mighty Bear Glacier

A sea otter doing the backstroke (this was the favorite position of most of these creatures)

We then got in position for some humpback whale action. Our boat had been trailing the Kenai Fjord Cruise's boat, which had already gotten closer to the animals. But we came on the scene shortly as well, and were able to see the whales in action with their blow spouts. Needless to say, I cannot tell one kind of whale/shark apart from the other - and depended on the ranger on board, who was doing a great job sharing information with all of the passengers.

Humpback whales

Rounding Aialik cape, we came across more humpbacks as well as a school (or is it a pod) of Orcas. Living in the Orlando area, I have been to Sea World and seen "Shamu" in action. However, we never managed to take the kids there - partly because we never thought about it, partly because I felt that the swimming pool was too restrictive for the giants and partly also because we had been busy. Anyway, since the drowning of a trainer a couple of years back, Sea World has stopped the Orca performance (I believe), so it felt nice to see Orcas in their natural habitat. This was a group of four, so I named them Shama, Shami, Shamo and Shamu ;-)

I was not the only photographer around :-)

The Orcas I can identify and tell apart from the other - related or unrelated - species!

In addition to informing us of the sealife around us, our ranger did an excellent job of notating our trip on a map, which I took a photo of for posterity
nequine likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
I hope you made him take off his trainers before getting back into the car!!!
As a matter of fact, no we did not. By the time we got back to the car, he had already walked around in the grass and sand/gravel and the shoes were in much better shape. Let me put it this way, when we returned the car to the rental agency, the inside of the car was in much better shape (from a dirt standpoint) than the outside was!!
nequine likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Thank you for sharing your photos and narrative! You were quite fortunate to see killer whales; they are not seen on every trip. Humpbacks are the most frequently seen larger whales in that area of Alaska. We did see fin or finback whales on one trip but they are a rarity.

We take cruises with Major Marine several times each year when we visit Alaska. I have never been able to figure out their assigned seating system. We have been on boats that were empty and everyone was crowded together. We always bring our own food and often we are seated almost next to the buffet table. It really does not matter to me since I use my chair to store my items and spend the entire trip outside, even if it is raining.

The Spruce Moose is a great place to stay near Moose Pass if you have a large group. They have chalets that sleep up to eight adults.

We rented a condo at Girdwood several summers ago and were surprised at how affordable it was. Rather than stay in Whittier or drive from Anchorage, Girdwood provides some good options. Many of the condos are used by skiers during the winter, so they tend to be slightly cheaper in the summer.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

That´s a great experience
an_asker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.