Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Four Days In Namibia

Four Days In Namibia

Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Wow! Amazing photos, those from the helicopter were amazing! Actually, I am tempted to download the starry sky and keep it as a screensaver.

I know I am repeating myself, but... what about a book ??
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:09 pm

Beautiful. Thanks.

1. How long did it take you to walk up and then down the Dune 45? Was it hot? Tiring?
2. What is the QE2 doing in Dubai? Is it a hotel now> I went on it in the 1980s. Nothing in comparison to the new ships today.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Just WOW!
You never disappoint DanielW. Some of those shots from the helicopter are stunning. After reading about Nambia the other day and reading this report it is now firmly on this list.
Thanks for a enjoyable report!
Thank you, ESFLYER95. You'll definitely have to head to Namibia. The heli-flight is a great option too to see some amazing scenery.
Originally Posted by superhelsinki
DanielW, I have been your fan for a long time but this trip report looks even more stunning than the previous ones. Simply wow!
Your pictures are always breathtaking but this time I am out of words.
Keep these reports coming!
Many thanks, superhelsinki. Yes, it was an amazing trip to a very beautiful part of Africa. Will have to head back!
Originally Posted by Palal
Great trip report! I had a 3-day trip down there last November. Ended up having a car accident on one of the unpaved roads (do get a 4x4) near Solitaire.
Thanks, Palal. Bummer about the car crash, I can see how easy it would be to lose control on the gravel roads.
Originally Posted by londonfog
Wow! Amazing photos, those from the helicopter were amazing! Actually, I am tempted to download the starry sky and keep it as a screensaver.
I know I am repeating myself, but... what about a book ??
Cheers, londonfog. The helicopter flight was super fun, especially with the lack of doors, had to make sure I held on to the camera though! Still have to do a book, perhaps when I get sick of all this travelling.
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Beautiful. Thanks.
1. How long did it take you to walk up and then down the Dune 45? Was it hot? Tiring?
2. What is the QE2 doing in Dubai? Is it a hotel now> I went on it in the 1980s. Nothing in comparison to the new ships today.
Thank you, Bretteee. The walk up the dune wasn't too far, maybe 20-30 minutes. It wasn't too hot at 7am in the morning. At midday almost no one was climbing due to the heat though. As far as I know the QE2 is effectively mothballed at the moment.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Amazing TR - I'm blown away by how much you saw and did in a short period of time. Would you have wanted to spend more time there? The landscape was very surreal. I assume you've seen the Tattooine-like Toscana (Italia) landscape when driving? Thanks so much for the TR.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Wow, another amazing report and photos, Daniel. It looks like you had a great trip and very cool to see photos from your drone. How high do you typically fly this?

Thank you for sharing!

Matthew (757)
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yet another awesome TR. Thanks Daniel! Also, how do I get on the invite list for these trips?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
They serve Oryx? Thought they were highly protected?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:40 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Apparently the D1991 road we took through the moon landscape was a Mad Max Fury Road filming location
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Amazing TR - I'm blown away by how much you saw and did in a short period of time. Would you have wanted to spend more time there? The landscape was very surreal. I assume you've seen the Tattooine-like Toscana (Italia) landscape when driving? Thanks so much for the TR.
Thanks, gaobest. Yes, we certainly saw alot in our short time there. We would have liked to see the north and the bits of the south we missed, if only we had unlimited vacation time!
Originally Posted by 757
Wow, another amazing report and photos, Daniel. It looks like you had a great trip and very cool to see photos from your drone. How high do you typically fly this?
Thank you for sharing!
Matthew (757)
Thank you, 757. The DJI drone's are electronically limited to a height of 500 metres. There are often safety regulations though that are far lower, e.g. it is 120 metres in the UAE.
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Yet another awesome TR. Thanks Daniel! Also, how do I get on the invite list for these trips?
Many thanks, krazykanuck. I'm sure hauteboy is planning another adventure at the moment!
Originally Posted by offerendum
They serve Oryx? Thought they were highly protected?
Mmmmmm, so thats why it tasted so great.
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Apparently the D1991 road we took through the moon landscape was a Mad Max Fury Road filming location
I thought it looked familiar.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Stunning pictures as always, Daniel. Keep sounding like a broken record but its true, its damn true.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
Stunning pictures as always, Daniel. Keep sounding like a broken record but its true, its damn true.
Thank you, injian. Africa is definitely my favorite continent to travel, can't wait for the next trip.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: Meh
It looks truly beautiful. The nearest I have been to those dunes is actually Dubai - but I guess they do not compare?
The contrast between the dunes and the ocean was amazing.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:40 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by stevie
It looks truly beautiful. The nearest I have been to those dunes is actually Dubai - but I guess they do not compare?
The contrast between the dunes and the ocean was amazing.
The dunes in Namibia were red due to iron, which is pretty unique. As we got closer to the coast the sand was a more typical yellow color.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:05 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Another great trip report. That was quite the bruising trip down; all that way from ADD in a B737 and a SAA narrow body although I am sure that the helicopter ride from Sesriem made up for it. Those dune photographs were spectacular, as were the aerial ocean photos.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Another fantastic trip report from you Daniel!

I've read a few other TRs on trips to Namibia but you seem to capture a different side of it to those I've previously read. And your photos are, as always, amazing especially with the addition of your new toy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.