Search

My trip to hell and back

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by mike&co
Words fail me I'm away to read a sfo777, eightblack or Danielw TR to restore my faith in this forum
You're sick of it, eh?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Years ago my spouse and I went to Vegas to celebrate her Bday. We booked a suite @ Mandalay, shows, dinner, the whole nine yards. The day after arriving I got sick in similar matter as the OP. We where heading out for dinner to the Bellagio, as we where arriving the Bellagio parking lot, I felt queasy and told my wife that I was not going to make it, drove back to the hotel and my "incident" started as soon as I was about to park the car in the Mandalay lot. I spent the next 4 days between the bed, toilet, and shower. Did not left the room at all. My wife bought some pedialyte and that was all I was drinking. She spent her bday all by herself and blew her own candle. By the 5th day I was feeling better and ventured out of the hotel room and had some solid food for the first time. The next day we returned back home, I was concerned about being sick on the plane, turbulence could certainly aggravate my condition. I woke up great, with a huge appetite, but did not over eat and controlled what I consumed. Once I got home, I noticed that I lost about 15lbs. Not the best of ways to loose weight.

I planned another trip years latter to make up for this one. Glad you feel better.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:27 pm

You should have gone to the airport pharmacy and purchased anti diarhea tablets. I am sure they have them as they do at the Geneva airport.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
One if the problems is that the pax is never sure if they'll be rescheduled for free. It could be quote expensive if the airline wants to play hardball.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sky Miles
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
One if the problems is that the pax is never sure if they'll be rescheduled for free. It could be quote expensive if the airline wants to play hardball.
Believe me, no thoughts of not being rescheduled for free, crossed my mind at the time. I really thought I was over whatever I had prior to boarding my LHR to ATL flight. Obviously, I was horribly wrong. I can't imagine anyone taking a flight knowing that they would be so sick in the way that I was - and surely not me!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:44 pm

I'm so sorry you went through that horrible ordeal. Having had norwalk twice last year (at home), I decided on my 16 hour flight to Australia to bring gravol and diarrhea relief pills with me just in case. I didn't need them, but from now on, I'm going to carry them with me all the time, just in case.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Grandknight
I'm so sorry you went through that horrible ordeal. Having had norwalk twice last year (at home), I decided on my 16 hour flight to Australia to bring gravol and diarrhea relief pills with me just in case. I didn't need them, but from now on, I'm going to carry them with me all the time, just in case.
i always bring anti-diarrhea pills on any trip i go on and some cipro. just in case i am unable to get something locally indicated for what i might see a local Dr for.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grandknight
I've heard this from several travelers, and I thank you all for the advice. Believe me, I will have medications on my person whenever I travel in the future^
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Words fail me I'm away to read a sfo777, eightblack or Danielw TR to restore my faith in this forum
I love sfo777 and Danielw trip reports and read them religiously. I'm sorry my TR has shaken your faith in this forum

I actually just read DanielW TR to Nambia - outstanding!

Last edited by kathykathy; Jul 28, 2017 at 11:13 am
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by kathykathy
I love sfo777 and Danielw trip reports and read them religiously. I'm sorry my TR has shaken your faith in this forum

I actually just read DanielW TR to Nambia - outstanding!
Don't take it personally Kathy, no offence intended
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Don't take it personally Kathy, no offence intended
None taken, mike. At 70, I have a pretty thick skin
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Some of my colleagues work in the US and commute here for a few weeks each quarter. One of them is famously quoted as saying "You haven't lived until you've spent HKG-LAX on the toilet"
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Some of my colleagues work in the US and commute here for a few weeks each quarter. One of them is famously quoted as saying "You haven't lived until you've spent HKG-LAX on the toilet"
No kidding😣😫😱😷💀
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Very sorry to hear your story. About 15 years ago I flew MAN-AGP and due to a delay was diverted to fly MAN-LGW-AGP with a change of crew en-route. Shortly after boarding I fell ill in a similar way to you, ended up also wrapped in a blanket as I didn't have spare clothes. When we landed in LGW the crew considered disembarking me, but apparently for various reasons it would be quicker for me to stay onboard to AGP then try and disembark in LGW.
Walking through an airport stinking and old wrapped in blankets is embarrassing so I feel your pain.
Since then I ALWAYS travel with a spare set of clothes in my hand carry and incredibly cautious what I eat before travelling.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Yachtman
Very sorry to hear your story. About 15 years ago I flew MAN-AGP and due to a delay was diverted to fly MAN-LGW-AGP with a change of crew en-route. Shortly after boarding I fell ill in a similar way to you, ended up also wrapped in a blanket as I didn't have spare clothes. When we landed in LGW the crew considered disembarking me, but apparently for various reasons it would be quicker for me to stay onboard to AGP then try and disembark in LGW.
Walking through an airport stinking and old wrapped in blankets is embarrassing so I feel your pain.
Since then I ALWAYS travel with a spare set of clothes in my hand carry and incredibly cautious what I eat before travelling.
I'm so sorry for your experience Yachtman. Isn't it weird that you can remember so much about it after many years? After 3 months, I was able to remember everything in detail, even though much of my vacation is gone from my memory!
I too, will NEVER fly without a change of clothes in my carryon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.