Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Weekend In Helsinki with KLM

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM

4th of July weekend provided a good time to get away especially from the hot muggy weather this time of year on the Florida Coast.

I had booked two roundtrip J fares originating in Helsinki back in December which terminated in JFK and IAH, respectively which were sub $1,000 each.

The outbound on this trip was on a 777-200ER out of JFK and the inbound was a 747-400 to IAH. Luckily was able to score the throne seat 1A on the 747!

JFK-AMS

Check-in and skypriority security were a breeze and was through in less than 10 mins. Went to Delta Skyclub at Terminal 4 and it was absolutely packed. Unable to use the outdoor lounge due to stormy weather.

Rainy day in JFK but still had on time departure with full J cabin. This was my first time in a Diamond configuration seat and is definitely less preferable to the reverse herringbone configuration. Flying solo I made sure to take a middle seat so my seatmate would not need to climb over me during the night.

I chose seat 4A and as far back as you can get out of 5 rows in the main business cabin is preferable as galley service and 2 lavs are located at the front of the plane while the mini-cabin row 6 is behind door 2L so economy passengers stream by at boarding and the main economy galley is in front of you with noise.

Pillow and thin blanket were waiting at the seat. Stewardess came around wiht a tray of pre-departure beverages with choice of Champagne, Water, OJ or Heneiken. I selected the Champagne.

Seat controls were intuitive and I appreciated the updated IFE with interactive remote. Not too much storage in the seat except for a cubby below TV screen, side reading pocket and cubby hole above the shoulder.

After take-off, drinks were served along with a ramken of nuts. They were served freezing cold which did not deter me.

As a large drinker of liquids I find KLM branded glassware to be tiny so I requested a can.

Here was the menu:

I chose the soup to start and the beef as the main. The soup on KLM on both inbound and outbound were fantastic and served with warm bread roll. I declined dessert.

I accompanied the meal with the special summer Austrian wine which was perfectly drinkable.

Service was fantastic throughout the meal service except that by the time it was completed and cabin lights were turned off, we were 2.5 hours into our 6 hour and 8 minute transatlantic crossing!

The drink cart was rolled through the cabin at least 5 different times throughout meal service which was appreciated.

A lovely tail wind had propelled us past our usual crusing speed to 666 MPH or Mach .87 (Assuming Mach 1 equals speed of sound).

As a result of this lovely tail wind combined with a leisurely dinner service of 2.5 hours and breakfast service starting approximately 1.5 hours prior to our arrival- the cabin lights were dimmed for ideal sleeping conditions for approximately 2 hours or 33% of our flight time.

In summary, everything about this flight was ideal except for the amount of available sleeping time.

I will not bore you with the details of Intra-Europe regional J class except all flights were on time and the KLM crown lounge in AMS other than the cool Heinken setup was dull.

Up next: Helsinki

Last edited by tennislover9; Jul 6, 2017 at 12:25 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Helsinki

I had approximately 1.5 days on the ground in Helsinki and overall I thought it was a really cool city with an interesting blend of Scandinavian innovation (new buildings with neat architecture) and old-world European charm.

That being said, I think allotted time was enough to fully take in the major sites and this may be an ideal city to visit as part of a Baltic cruise.

A new train system that can't be more than 5 years old takes you directly from Helsinki airport to the main train station which cost 5 Euros each way and was fantastic.

Note that Helsinki is roughly the same latitude as Anchorage and the weather was a fabulous escape from Florida summers with temerpatures never getting above 67 F during my time on the ground.

This was my first time in a northern latitude locale in the summer and I was fascinated by the perpetual sunlight it receives. Sunset occurs approximately 10:45 PM but it never truly disappears. Even at 1 AM (thanks jetlag) there still exists a dusk light glimmer and by 4 AM (thanks early morning departure) the sun is fully out again.

I will let pics due to most of the talking...

I stayed at the newly renovated Helsinki Strand Hotel which had a nice waterfront location, about a 15 minute walk from the main train station. At 90 Euro a night it was a good deal and with my Hilton Diamond status received the usual upgrade to Exec level waterfront room. The Exec lounge at this hotel was extremely small and not much on offer during happy hour.

The Russian influence/history of Helsinki was notable in a variety of ways most notably the famous statue of Alexander II who gave Finland more autonomy and eventually paved the way to its independence from Russia in 1917 (many posters of events speaking to Finland's centennial).

On the morning of day 2 I took the public ferry to UNESCO world heritage site Suomenlinna fortress which is an island garrison in Helsinki harbor originally erected in the late 18th century and inhabited originally by Kingdom of Sweden, the Russians and finally the Finns themselves. World War II fortifications were still on display. Definitely worth the 5 Euro each way fare and a nice 15 minute boat ride from the main harbor.

Back on mainland, a visit to the original market hall located harborside.

Salmon seems to be the food group of Choice for Finland and it was very fresh.

Overall a very pleasant stay in Helsinki. Unfortunately, did not visit the Finnish National Museum as it is closed on Monday's but have heard it is worth a visit.

Up next: Back to the States in the Queen of the Skies.

Last edited by tennislover9; Jul 6, 2017 at 11:36 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

AMS-IAH

KLM seems to be one of only a few operaters left of the vintage 747-400. Surprised they use this large beauty on a route to Houston. I did not walk back to economy during the flight but judging by amount of people at the gate it was less than 50% full.

Flight time of 9 HR 45 Mins was a pleasant extension compared to the JFK outbound.

I did not take pictures of food on this flight but service and food were both of excellent quality again. Special shout out to the lead purser who came by each passenger's seat at the beginning of service to introduce himself and chat and proactively mentioned if he can do anything to enhance the flight. A level of service that was greatly appreciated.

I snapped a quick pick of premium economy and the staircase on my way to front of the plane.

And my seat 1A. There seems to be a debate of 1A vs 4A traveling solo. I think 1A is the preferred choice. Extra storage with the closet in front being your domain, 3 banks of windows and no one walking past you at all whereas 4A is exposed to everyone in the front cabin walking to lavs directly behind and the galley.

Storage was a lot more ample compared to the 777 and the footwell was a lot larger in 1A with ample foot space to sleep on the back or on the side. I also appreciated the triple airvents whereas 777 had none. It was freezing in the 747 cabin and I appreciated it rather than being toasty.

Much more antiquated IFE system, but that is part of the charm!

Snapshot of across the aisle neighbor.

I slept for a solid 3 hours and read/watched movies the rest of the way. There is nothing that comes close to flying on a 747 and I am grateful to have experienced it at the very nose of the Queen.

Overall I am impressed with KLM J product and if you can score a reverse herringbone seat on their 787-9 or 1A on the 747, it is a great way to cross the Atlantic.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Great TR!

I've flown KL many times and its nice to read a TR from somebody who hasn't.

The 747 is also my favorite. If you travel together I like row 3 as well. So much 'empty' space around you. To bad KLM is also (slowely) fashing out it's 747. I believe the last one will leave in 2020. So we have some time left to enjoy this bird
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Great report! And great deal for flights!

+1 for Helsinki. I've done two quick weekend trips there from the US. Great public transportation, and also great SIM card pricing (I think it was like $7 usd for unlimited data for 5 days). And Suomenlinna is a really cool place to visit, I highly recommend the trip if anyone gets the chance.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great trip report - thanks for sharing! Also, really glad you got another ride on the 747 ^
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:53 am

KLM operate B747-400 combies on AMS-IAH so a much reduced Y pax load replaced by 35 tonnes of main deck cargo.The flight might have been fuller than you thought.

Interesting trip report,thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Thanks for the read! I have always enjoyed Helsinki, and hopefully be there in September after a way too long hiatus.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Thanks for your trip report!

A lovely tail wind had propelled us past our usual crusing speed to 666 MPH or Mach .87 (Assuming Mach 1 equals speed of sound).

666 MPH is the ground speed.
This figure has no correlation with how close you are with the speed of sound, because what counts is the airspeed - and airspeed is pretty constant and should be well below Mach .87.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.