Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Sorry About That...

Sorry About That...

Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Thanks a lot eightblack for a fantastically funny report. As soon as I started reading it I thought, this writing style reminds me of a report I read a few years ago about hot sauce and airplane bathrooms. That had me weeping with laughter. Sure enough, it was an eightblack report.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Thank you eightblack!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA, IHG
Originally Posted by eightblack
[...]Anyway, back to Melbourne. The Liveable City. It is a great city. Dont let any wayward Sydney sider tell you otherwise. If you havent guessed already there is a lot of rivalry between Melbourne and its northern neighbor. Some of it is tongue and cheek and some of it is more smack you in the side of the head sort of thing.

Heres an example. Youd be on a conference call and youd have the people from the Melbourne office on the phone and the people from the Sydney office on the phone. And everyone else in between. Some smart alec from Sydney would start the call as follows.

Good morning everyone, this is Jack from Sydney, is everyone on the call?
Adelaide are you there?
Here
Perth?
Were here
Brisbane?
Here
Melbourne?
Yes Melbourne here
Ok people listen up. Melbourne just joined. Everyone please remember to speak more slowly so that they can understand us
[...]
Don't know which kind of Melbourners you hobnob with (or which kind you are), Eightblack, but I recently had this singular experience!

We were at the Eielson Visitor Center, Denali NP. DD and I went on a nature walk with a park ranger. During the walk, I figured that the couple of ladies right up ahead were Aussies. To indulge in some small talk, I opened my big mouth:

Me: We were in Australia just last year - where in Aussieland are you ladies from?

Lady 1: Melbin.

Me: What?

Lady 2: Melbun.

Me: Where the heck (I used those exact words. OK, well, maybe not) in Australia is that?

Lady 1: In the south.

Me: What place ...? *see DD making a big face at me while making gestures to shut that big mouth*

I siddle over to her: Whaaaat???!!!

DD: She's saying MELBOURNE, daaaad!!

#facepalm#

I guess I'm getting old. Used to be a time where I didn't have any issues understanding cricket commentary on Radio Australia; heck, just last year, we were in Australia and I don't recall asking anyone to repeat himself/herself for any reason!!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Welcome back eightblack - please come over to the EK forum and say hello once in a while!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:05 am

Thanks for a great report
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eightblack
.... FT was always there in the back of my mind. I think it always will be. This community is way better than a religion and its far more fun than a cult. We actually get stuff done.
I simply love this quote - we'd get away with the stuff we want to do too, if it wasn't for those pesky airlines and hotel chains, and their pesky revenue management departments

Another excellent report - I'd love to know what percentage is straight fact, and how much is artistic license

Yeet!Yeet! and YeeBoi! (teenager is a language I don't yet speak, but my time will come soon enough!).
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
. . .

Yeet!Yeet! and YeeBoi! (teenager is a language I don't yet speak, but my time will come soon enough!).
I'm surprised someone hasn't Googled this yet:

"yeet

Term used to express excitement; especially used in basketball when someone has shot a three-pointer that they are sure will go in the hoop.
Also used as one ejaculates.
Can be used as an exclamatory (YEET!), or a verb (to yeet someone)
"AHH YEET!!" exclaimed LaMarcus as his shot went toward the hoop.
#yeat #skeet #whop #wet #money "
by Bubba "Skoal" Johnson March 11, 2008

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yeet

LOVED LOVED LOVED this trip report!!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:31 pm

I realize that I missed this TR because I was on a cruise on the Med and didn't check FT then.

If you enjoy Eightblack's TR, might I suggest watching the tv show "The Detour". Season 3 has just started. The whole family dynamic reminds me a bit of his.

Thanks for writing the TR!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.