Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

South Africa: BA F, BA J, SA Y, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Safari and Garden Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa: BA F, BA J, SA Y, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Safari and Garden Route

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Thanks for writing, am looking forward to the rest of your trip, especially the Garden Route section, which I'm visiting myself in August. It's a beautiful region!

A couple of notes; the BA Comair flight would have been a 737 (that's all they operate) and the airport code for George is GRJ.
Thanks! The Garden Route is wonderful, I am editing the videos as we speak!

And yes, thanks! I updated the header photograph to be posted shortly but had forgotten to update the contents menu! Good spot

Originally Posted by UAL250
This is a tremendous TR. Fantastic photos, descriptions, and reviews of your hotel and flight. I am looking forward to the rest!
Thanks! More to be posted tomorrow
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
I've now added the journey to the safari lodge from Johannesburg, with the lodge review and safari coming up soon
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:25 am

Great TR so far, stevieed, looking forward to the rest^.

The Safari Lodge looks eye-watering expensive.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW
Great TR so far, stevieed, looking forward to the rest^.

The Safari Lodge looks eye-watering expensive.
Thanks DanielW. Alas it was eye wateringly expensive but I'd go there again without a doubt.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster

I have now posted the review of the safari lodge, Jamala Madikwe, and will be posting the first part of the safari tour later this afternoon.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OMG, the Lodge looks fantastic!! I shudder to think about the cost!!

Gentle tip, dear matey ... could you post a link to the single post when you update? It would save having to trawl through the whole TR to find which Part has been posted? Or just link them from the useful Index at the beginning: once they're posted we can go straight to the meat of the subject.

Last edited by T8191; Jul 10, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:39 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by T8191
Gentle tip, dear matey ... could you post a link to the single post when you update? It would save having to trawl through the whole TR to find which Part has been posted? Or just link them from the useful Index at the beginning: once they're posted we can go straight to the meat of the subject.
Great suggestion, as this is an amazing report and worth reading every update. You've done a stunning job on photography and presentation. The reports that are done are ready to be a coffee table book. Here's the link to the report on the safari lodge.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Great suggestion, as this is an amazing report and worth reading every update. You've done a stunning job on photography and presentation. The reports that are done are ready to be a coffee table book. Here's the link to the report on the safari lodge.
He's a talented chap, bless him!!

Makes my TR meanderings look positively amateur. I must try harder!!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:28 am
Community Director Emerita

Makes my TR meanderings look positively amateur. I must try harder!!
I love yours just as they are. Not only have I enjoyed reading them, I've made a number of notes from them for my own travels.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

OMG, the Lodge looks fantastic!! I shudder to think about the cost!!

Haha, it was quite expensive, but everything is included and you only stay at a safari lodge for a short period, so it wasn't too bad...

Good idea, I've updated post one and will add links as I progress

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thanks for the feedback and thanks for help linking

I have now added the first part of the safari report.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your awesomeness gets awesomer!

Infuriatingly, it's so graphics heavy I can't watch on iPad, so have to head for the Study and iMac. Between your input and endless FT adverts <cough> the iPad can't keep up, especially when I zoom in.

Hugs, buddy!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:39 pm

Your pictures are jaw-dropping.
I feel sad about the rhino. What a senseless death.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
+1. I really wish governments, both on the supply and demand ends, would do much more on this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Your awesomeness gets awesomer!

Infuriatingly, it's so graphics heavy I can't watch on iPad, so have to head for the Study and iMac. Between your input and endless FT adverts <cough> the iPad can't keep up, especially when I zoom in.

Hugs, buddy!
Haha, thanks

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Your pictures are jaw-dropping.
Thank you!

I had thought long and hard about whether I should post a photo of the rhino or not, but I eventually decided that this had to be shown, no matter how horrible it was.

It was really awful to see and the anger from the rangers and lodge owners was clear to observe. I believe that governments are doing something about it, but clearly not enough. There needs to be more international agreement to achieve a decrease in the poaching and subsequent trade.

Originally Posted by DanielW
+1. I really wish governments, both on the supply and demand ends, would do much more on this.
Agreed mate.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a beey sad thread in the Africa Forum on the subject of poaching.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...d-we-told.html

FT rules prevent me from expressing my feelings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.