Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

South Africa: BA F, BA J, SA Y, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Safari and Garden Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa: BA F, BA J, SA Y, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Safari and Garden Route

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Hold page 16
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Hold page 17
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Hold page 18
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Hold page 19
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Hold page 20
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Great pictures and start to your report. I have a couple questions.

If I counted accurately, you had 5 pieces of luggage. Was someone traveling with you? If not, were you charged for excess bags?

You mentioned leaving your home at 9am for a 7pm flight. Did you have any trouble checking your bags in so far in advance of your flight?

As an erratic BA traveler, generally in first when I do fly BA, could you please elaborate on the new door and where you now enter the lounge? Why is it called the Million Dollar Door?

I understand there is a new and sleeker amenity kit than the last time I was on BA. Did you happen to take a picture?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very nice, particularly the photography; I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You mentioned leaving your home at 9am for a 7pm flight. Did you have any trouble checking your bags in so far in advance of your flight?
BA is happy for oneworld Sapphires/Emeralds and those travelling in J/F to check in at any time on the same day.

As an erratic BA traveler, generally in first when I do fly BA, could you please elaborate on the new door and where you now enter the lounge? Why is it called the Million Dollar Door?
If you're travelling from Terminal 5, just head towards the First Class Check In (turn right as you enter the terminal and go all the way to the southern end). If you are being dropped off by car, it is the final entrance before the ramp exit. After the check in desks, which you don't have to use, there is a dedicated security route for F and Emerald pax.

Why is it called the Million Dollar Door?
It was informally called "Millionaire Door" because BA had to pay a lot of money to the airport to install the door and provide a way for their F pax to bypass the shopping mall. Some others call it "Millionaires' Door" because apparently, all BA F pax are millionaires ( I'm not ). BA have now re-instated the door after complaints from travellers who naturally come in that way from domestic flights.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:07 pm

Really looking forward to the rest of your report. Especially waiting to hear your thoughts on Jamala Madikwe, a wonderful place that we were fortunate to visit a couple of years ago.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Nice report!

The Kedgeree Arancini is a fusion cuisine I can get behind. Why are these works of genius not available in supermarkets across the country, eh? Grocers of Britain: you are slacking off.

Edit to add:
BA F allows 3 checked bags and 2 carry-on bags, also some bags do combine in various ways (for example, I personally often travel with a camera bag that fits inside my main carry on bag, but may also be seen separately during my journey).
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Great pictures and start to your report. I have a couple questions.
Thanks!

If I counted accurately, you had 5 pieces of luggage. Was someone traveling with you? If not, were you charged for excess bags?
You did count correctly. Maybe I have been a bit naughty in my dialogue but I packed both my smallest rucksack in my large hold suitcase. Onboard I took my largest rucksack and satchel. With two hold bags. This was absolutely fine for BA.

There was a concerned comment by the check-in agent that I had arrived early, but this was more for my own mental state than BA's coffers

I may be wrong here, there's a lot of misinformation flying around, but the "million dollar door" is immediately past south track security on your right. It's very easy to miss as everyone walks left and past the Boots on the upper floor of T5. I believe it's called the "million dollar door" because that's what it costs BA every year to "rent" from Heathrow Airport to compensate them for loss of shopping income from high net worth travellers.

I understand there is a new and sleeker amenity kit than the last time I was on BA. Did you happen to take a picture?
Alas this had yet to make its way to the JNB route and so we had the usual old school BA bag, which is perfectly sufficient but not as pretty!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sma10
Really looking forward to the rest of your report. Especially waiting to hear your thoughts on Jamala Madikwe, a wonderful place that we were fortunate to visit a couple of years ago.
Thanks! I'll give you a quick preview...GREAT!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Nice report!

The Kedgeree Arancini is a fusion cuisine I can get behind. Why are these works of genius not available in supermarkets across the country, eh? Grocers of Britain: you are slacking off.
Thanks and yes! It was actually delicious and UK supermarkets need to catch up
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:59 am

Great start to the report - I look forward to seeing more!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Loved the pictures and report.. very professional.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:41 am

Excellent report so far with lots of detail – thank you for sharing! I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the trip unfolded.

As a fellow Canon shooter I'm also intrigued to see your style of photography, given the really diverse nature of the destination and your itinerary. South Africa really does have so many opportunities for photographers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.