Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines A350 Business Class from Düsseldorf to Singapore (+ Youtube clip)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines A350 Business Class from Düsseldorf to Singapore (+ Youtube clip)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer

On April 22nd 2017, I flew Business Class in a brand new Airbus A350-900 of Singapore Airlines (SQ) from Germany’s third largest airport, Düsseldorf International Airport (DUS), to one of Asia’s busiest hubs, Changi International Airport (SIN). SQ is often regarded as one of the world’s best carriers, no matter the class you are flying in. With great service, delicious food, excellent inflight entertainment, and the always smiling Singapore Girl, the SQ A350 experience lived up to expectation although the experience would have been even better with the addition of an amenity kit, a tail camera, and a more comfortable flat bed. To my own surprise, there were only 4 passengers in Business Class on this 11 hour 30 minute flight, so the whole experience felt like a private flight.

I made a Youtube clip of my experience onboard, which you can watch here:

- Trip: DUS-SIN
- Airline: Singapore Airlines
- Aircraft type: Singapore Airlines
- Aircraft registration number: 9V-SMB
- Flight Number: SQ337
- Date: April 22nd
- On time departure: Yes (11.am)
- On time arrival: Yes (5.25 am)
- Miles: 6459
- Flight time: 11 hours 30 minutes
- Seat: 15A
- Class: Business Class

1. LUFTHANSA BUSINESS LOUNGE AT DÜSSELDORF AIRPORT

As SQ doesn’t have its own lounge at Düsseldorf Airport, its passengers flying in Business Class or those that hold elite status with Star Alliance have access to the Lufthansa Business Lounge, which is located one floor above the airport’s main concourse. IMHO, the large, rectangularly shaped space lacks atmosphere, because of its functional and rather old and univiting decor, as well as because of the lack of day light, since there is a corridor between the small rooms and the lounge. The lounge has several seating areas with comfortable leather arm chairs. One side of the lounge features several rows of arm chairs in front of a large tv screen, while the other side features several dining tables, adjacent to a smoking room. At the center, there are a few work stations with computers, as well as a newsstand with complimentary German and international papers. The main food station is located near the lounge’s entrance, with a second smaller station –mainly serving beverages and a few snacks and candies – is located near the TV corner. I visited the lounge in the early morning hours when breakfast was served. Both food selection and presentation was disappointingly mediocre, so if you want to have a decent meal, you’re better of in one of the restaurants in the airport’s shopping mall.

The lounge is located in the Schengen zone of the airport. Consequently, you still have to go through border control to get to the gate (and thus leave the lounge around 1O minutes prior to boarding time).

2. BUSINESS CLASS CABIN

The SQ A350 aircraft features 3 classes: Business Class (42 flat bed seats), Premium Economy Class (with 24 recliner seats), and Economy Class (187 standard seats). SQ does not offer a First Class on its A350 fleet, which is not that problematic since SQ’s Business Class is better than First Class on most airlines. The 42 Business Class seats are spread over 2 cabins: a larger cabin in the front of the plane holds the bulk of the seats (26 in total), while the remaining 16 seats are located in a much smaller and more intimate cabin over the wings (in front of the Premium Economy Class). All seats face forward, offer direct aisle access, and are arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration. The two seats in the center have a partition screen that can be raised for added privacy. There are no overhead bins above the middle seats, which allows for much higher ceilings, creating a senses of space throughout both cabins.

3. BUSINESS CLASS SEAT (& WHAT SEAT TO CHOOSE)

I had selected seat 15A – a window seat – for the 11h30min flight to Singapore. Remarkably, there were only 4 passengers in the first cabin and nobody in the second cabin, so SQ won’t have made any profits on this particular flight. It felt like a private flight (or at least what I imagine a private flight must feel like).

The seat is one of the widest in the industry, albeit a tad more narrow than the seats on SQ’s A380 and B777 aircraft (which are judged by some to be too wide for comfort). The seat features a pitch of 1,53 cm (60 inch) and a width of 71 cm (20 inch), so there’s more than enough space to comfortably move around. The suite’s wall is quite high, and gets wider on eye level, providing reasonable privacy from passengers sitting on the other side of the aisle. As mentioned above, the seats in the center have a partition screen between them that can be raised for added privacy.

One side of the seats features a reading light on eye level and a control panel – to adjust the seat position – in the aisle-side arm rest. A decently sized tray table – who’s hight and position can be adjusted – is stored away in the other arm rest, with the remote control for the inflight entertainment system above it. In front of the seat is a large 18 inch (45 cm) TV screen, with a coat hook next to it. There are a lot of storage compartments in the suite: two small cubby holes located next to the TV screen (one of them with a vanity mirror), a storage box in the arm rest (which can be used for a bottle of water and/or your personal belongings such as your glasses, wallet and cellphone) and a side console above the arm rest, which let you stow and conveniently reach for your laptop (albeit not during takeoff and landing).

The Business Class seat is excellent for the seating position. However, it’s a somewhat different story when it comes to sleeping. First of all, turning the seat into the 78 inch (198 cm) long flat bed position is not a straightforward process controlled by one push on a button. Instead, you need to put the seat first to its upright position, stand up yourself, and then manually fold the seatback forward. The good new though is that the cabin crew is more than happy to assist you in this proces and will make up the bed for you. But the problems are not completely over once the seat is fully reclined: to stretch your legs, you need to lay diagonally on the bed and kind of force your lower legs in a narrow cubby at the end. Because of this set-up the flat bed is not comfortable for travelers who prefer to sleep on their side. The only exception are the bulkhead seats on row 11 and 19, which feature a full-width ottoman (center seats) or larger foot rest combined with an ottoman (window seats) instead of a narrow footrest, and are thus the best seats on the plane (and far superior to all other Business Class seats).

What are the best Business Class seats on SQ’s A350-900?
- Window seats are the best option for solo travelers since they provide a little more privacy, while travel companions should go for the center seats.
- Bulkhead seats on row 11 and 19 are far superior to all other seats (cf above), allowing a much more comfortable sleeping position.
- The seats from row 19 to 22 are located in their own little private cabin and are therefore highly recommended.

What are the worst Business Class seats on SQ’s A350-900? Click here for a seat map of SQ’s A350-900.
- I suggest to avoid the window seats in row 17 and center seats in row 18 due to their proximity to the galley and lavatories.
- I also suggest to avoid row 22 because it is located in front of the Premium Economy bassinet seats (so you may end up being close to young children).

4. AMENITIES

Unfortunately, SQ doesn’t offer amenity kits in Business Class on any flights. Passengers in the premium cabin only receive slippers, socks, and eye shades. Bathroom amenities – such as shaving kits, toothbrushes, tooth paste, hand lotion and perfume – are available though in the toilets. When I asked one of the flight attendants for an amenity kit during this particular flight, she came back a few minutes later with some bathroom products (from the toilet) in addition to some postcards, playing cards and children’s toys (although I am a full-grown man of 40 years old). A surreal but nice gesture nonetheless.

5. MEALS

Unfortunately, SQ's ‘Book the Cook’ service was not available on this Düsseldorf to Singapore route, and while the food was excellent (and clearly a step above that served on other airlines), I was not blown away by the meals, somewhat contrary to my previous SQ flight experiences.

Shortly after takeoff, the following lunch was served:
- Singapore chicken and lamb satay, with onion, cucumber, and spicy peanut sauce.
- Salmon Riletto, with potato allumette, picked apple, red onion and fine salad leaves
- Pan seared lamb loin, with roasted vegetables, leek-potato gratin and thyme sauce
- Black forest gateaux, with blueberry compote and vanilla sauce
After dinner, the crew passed by with a fruit bowl and a chocolate box, from which you could choose a selection.

Mid-flight, I ordered a snack – Oriental noodles with chicken and black mushrooms – which tasted quite good.

Ninety minutes prior to landing, above the Gulf Of Bengal, the following breakfast was served:
- Selection of sliced fresh fruits
- Cornflakes with skim milk
- Fruit yoghurt
- Bircher muesli with fruit
- Poached eggs with Hollondaise sauce, with pan-fried bacon, sautéed mushrooms, creamed spinach, and roasted potatoes
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Last edited by theLuxuryTravelExpert; Jun 23, 2017 at 6:28 am
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
Great report. SQ is really a great airline. The seat is outstanding.
Btw, I guess you added the satay pic twice.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesaddict
Great report. SQ is really a great airline. The seat is outstanding.
Btw, I guess you added the satay pic twice.
Thx for catching that! I replaced the satay by the correct photo of the main course

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.