ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Across Siberia to Southeast Asia, Fiji and the American West

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:47 pm

Another great report! Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Great report, very informative, thank you. ^

Two things:

Not all of the photos are loading on my iPad2 (fine on my desktop though)...very odd indeed.
Also, when you began the Coast Starlight in Burbank, any reason you didn't first ride into LA's Union Station and start at the beginning? It's a very lovely deco style architectural gem.

Best,
Fozzie
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Great report.

Agree with NZ's short-haul J/PE meals - almost being the same.

This is from an recent PE dinner on MEL-AKL which is around 3 hours.

Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: AF Plat Ultimate, BA GGL, MS Elite
Wow wow wow !!!

Such a great TR, inspiring ! Thanks for taking the time to write such a report ! A pleasant read !
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for another inspiring TR!

I've only done the LAX/SAN on the Surfliner. I need to get going on the Starlight to Seattle.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thank you one and all for taking the time to visit this lengthy report. Even if you only skimmed through a few pictures, the text will always be there if you want to come back and review.

As to certain pictures not loading, I've noticed on my personal laptop that the quality of the internet connection seems to have a lot to do with it. Sometimes a simple page refresh will work or - if you click on the icon in place of a picture - you should be delivered to the fotki site and the actual picture.

Originally Posted by wrp96
I still miss home (Alaska). Thank you for taking me back at least for a few minutes with your pictures and prose.

You're welcome, '96. I was not born in Alaska but after thirty years here I can't imagine living anywhere else. I hope you're able to make your way home for a visit now and then. We'll leave the light on for you.
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I really treasured my copies of the Thomas Cook Railway Guide with its worldwide train schedules. The Transsiberian and Mongolia/China tables were big favorites of mine, and when the Channel Tunnel was built I had the dream of going by rail all the way from Edinburgh to Beijing.

I have four or five old (1940s, 50s and 60s) U.S. railway guides. Next time I get a half way decent internet connection, I'm going to check on eBay for one of those Thomas Cook Railway Guides.

Never mind Edinburgh to Beijing, how about Edinburgh to Miami, or maybe Mexico City? And you could drive to the Fairbanks station easily enough. All it takes is for the Interhemispheric Bering Strait Tunnel and Railroad Group to finish its (admittedly rather ambitious) project.

That is one trip I'll look forward to taking - much less reporting upon. Now the big questions is: Will it be completed - if ever - within my lifetime?
Originally Posted by dc2005b
Just spent a quality 3 hours reading this, what a delight! Thanks Seat2A for sharing your awesome trip! Ill look for you on the Denali buses in about 2 weeks time during my first trip to Alaska.

Thank you, dc! I'll look forward to meeting you during your time in Denali. I usually drive the 930 Eielson.
Originally Posted by miuk
Excellent trip report to wrap up my day at the office. Love the old flash backs with the vintage photos.

Thank you miuk. You and many others here must be fast readers. I'm afraid the boss would definitely take notice if I tried to read this report in its entirety during work hours!
Originally Posted by opus homes
An excellent way to spend a very rainy afternoon reading another epic report. Well done.

Thank you Mr. B. I look forward to our next get together in the City of Roses.
Originally Posted by dluetje1
Another great report! Thanks!

Thank you, dluetje1.
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Great report, very informative, thank you. When you began the Coast Starlight in Burbank, any reason you didn't first ride into LA's Union Station and start at the beginning? It's a very lovely deco style architectural gem.

Due to the CS's departure time out of LA Union Station combined with the time involved in getting from LAX downtown on the Flyer Bus, I would've had to fly down the night before and get a hotel. What with a leisurely dinner in SF, I didn't want to do that. As for LA's beautiful Union Station, I've had the good fortune to travel through there many, many times since the seventies.
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Great report. Agree with NZ's short-haul J/PE meals - almost being the same.

Air New Zealand has always offered a quality premium class product. Now if they could only find a way to redo the seating in those Business Class cabins, they'd be even better.
Originally Posted by milesaddict
Wow wow wow !!! Such a great TR, inspiring! Thanks for taking the time to write such a report! A pleasant read!

Thank you, milesaddict. It was a long time in the making and one that unfortunately I'm unlikely to replicate any time soon. If I had my druthers, I'd take a trip like this every three months or so.
Originally Posted by phranktzi
Thanks for another inspiring TR! I've only done the LAX/SAN on the Surfliner. I need to get going on the Starlight to Seattle.

It's worth checking multiple dates on the Starlight as fares can vary considerably from one day to the next. Have a great ride!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:43 am

Spectacular, 2B! Simply wonderful trip report. Best one I have ever read.

Thanks for taking us along on your grand tour. I enjoyed every minute of it, and am exhausted from all the travel.

Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Last edited by HomerJay; Jun 16, 2017 at 11:01 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Thank you for sharing your journey with us! It took me a few sittings, but it was time well spent to read through your adventure!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: A Program or Two
Another awesome trip report. Thank you!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Three things, I read it all, you are awesome for writing this and a man after my own heart with your love of finger food. Thank you so much for the effort.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, BAPP
Great trip report, loved the style and the pics and the destinations. This is one I will read and read again, and probably again. Inspirational.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
I heartily agree with the comments above - a lovely work of a TR, Seat 2A ! I've read through once, a bit at a time, and saved the whole thing to read again when I have a few hours to while away. Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Spectacular, 2B! Simply wonderful trip report. Best one I have ever read. Thanks for taking us along on your grand tour. I enjoyed every minute of it, and am exhausted from all the travel.

Exhaustion from reading a trip report? I'm impressed! Well, it is pretty a darned long report - not to mention trip. Thanks for your kind words though, Jay. I can hardly wait to do another trip just like this.
Originally Posted by Duke777
Thank you for sharing your journey with us! It took me a few sittings, but it was time well spent to read through your adventure!

Thank you, Duke. It took me a few sittings to write it, too!
Originally Posted by ejs20519
Another awesome trip report. Thank you!

Thank you, ejs, for taking the time to read it. ^
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Three things, I read it all, you are awesome for writing this and a man after my own heart with your love of finger food. Thank you so much for the effort.

Thank you, wtcmor. Canapes and/or hors d'oeuvres are two of my favorite parts of a proper international First Class service. Unfortunately, many airlines now offer only an appetizer before moving on to the salad and beyond. Granted, there's still plenty of food but still... I miss my canapes.
Originally Posted by Caciucco
Great trip report, loved the style and the pics and the destinations. This is one I will read and read again, and probably again. Inspirational.

Thanks, Caciucco. This trip was as fun to plan as it was to travel. Good to hear it's turned into an enjoyable read. ^
Originally Posted by Tocsin
A lovely work of a TR, Seat 2A ! I've read through once, a bit at a time, and saved the whole thing to read again when I have a few hours to while away. Thanks!

Thank you, Tocsin. That's one of the nice things about being able to post this on Flyertalk - the ability to check back in a few years and enjoy it all over again. Someday - if I can ever find the time - I'm going to turn one of these reports into a book, complete with all the pictures. It'll probably cost me $200.00 but it'll be worth it to have one easily at hand.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Thanks 2A for another amazing trip.

Strangly I had been thinking about the Trans Siberian and its variation - only to discover and amazing TR covering it.

Took me 3 x 12 hr shifts to get thru it all - but certainly worth it.

I love to read TR and open up the google maps along side and see where you are talking about.

As an Australasian sorry about the $400 fine - but those bits of food could have destroyed our crops. Being Island nations Australia and NZ con't have some diseases and by being very vigilant those diseases stay away.

Those dogs are very good at snifing out food too. I was at the baggage claim in CHC one day - and the dog indicated on someones bag, he said he last had food in it in the UK a week ago - and the handler said that would be it, but if you keep denying anything else and its found at xray you will be fined

Wonderful

Thank you
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Thank you for taking the time and energy to write up your travels! It was a great read, one that I loaded on my laptop and read while crossing the Atlantic in a far less comfortable seat than yours Definitely gives me some ideas for future trips of my own as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.