Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

9 Days in Asia: Taipei, Hanoi, Ha Long Bay and Shanghai

9 Days in Asia: Taipei, Hanoi, Ha Long Bay and Shanghai

Old May 26, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: FT
Great report. I love Taipei. I want to go back to Taiwan and god, I am just salivating over the beef noodle soup that I have yet to find something even REMOTELY close to what you get there in NA....
Old May 26, 2017, 1:21 pm

Great TR. Was in Vietnam earlier this year and loved it. Missed Hanoi, though.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by sky303
I was the travel partner on this trip with ChiefNWA. It was the Hanoi Space Hotel. The Sales Manager Lily is absolutely amazing and handles all inbound requests for package information and booking on the website. They worked well to customize our tour package to fit our needs (extra night, driver to instead of from the airport, etc.). The staff were really incredible and eager to please, and the hotel was newish construction with nice rooms and solid AC. I'd highly recommend it--especially for the price. We saved a lot over our planned DIY.

On that note, great job capturing our experiences. It was a cool trip and definitely a good way to come up on the end of full pass privileges.
Thanks sky303 for such a detailed reply! Sounds like a great staff and I look forward to seeing what kind of planning they can help with.

Agreed on the great photographs!

Edit: Ooops, said thanks to the wrong person!

Last edited by eeflyer; May 28, 2017 at 7:00 pm
Old May 27, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
What an awesome trip report ^^. Thank you for sharing, your photos are stunning - especially the Vietnam ones.
^
Old May 27, 2017, 10:33 pm

Looks like an great trip through Asia, ChiefNWA. A nice contrast of the bustling cities and the peacefulness of Ha Long Bay. Good news about the free/cheap flights continuing too.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:24 am

Thank you very much for this report. Great photos, too.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Nice balance of flight and destination photos.

I'll be visiting Hanoi for the first time in a few months and the food scene there looks great!
Old May 30, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bj27
Thank you for the respite from a long day at work. This was an excellent trip report which I thoroughly enjoyed.

A few points for you.
- I really enjoyed the TPE bit as my heritage is Taiwanese -- how I wish you would have gotten a few more days in TPE
- My friend has done the "buy refundable ticket/actually fly non-rev" back from China before and he had no issues, and I almost tried (albeit with confirmed tickets) and was too chicken. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they can enter your name and pull up the flights you are confirmed/standby on.
- Beautiful photography. You are an artist!
I was a little bit at ease doing it as the person I was traveling with had just done it in August. TBH, it was pretty straightforward and the EK refund processed in two days. Thank you for the kind words as well.

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
I went to the same pho restaurant a few years back per hotel concierge recommendation. It's probably the best pho anywhere.
^
The Pho there was incredible! I have a local place down the street I visit for lunch often but it doesn't even come close.

Originally Posted by kalderlake
Thanks very much.

The Hanoi pictures brought back many good memories.

Though my visit was brief, it is one of the best cities I've visited.

asdf
Hanoi was certainly a lot of fun and unique. I look forward to seeing more of Vietnam in the future as well.

Originally Posted by Madone59
What an awesome trip report ^^. Thank you for sharing, your photos are stunning - especially the Vietnam ones.
Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Great trip report, thanks! I really enjoyed the photos of Vietnam. I hope Din Tai Fung was cheaper than it is in the US Sorry if I missed it, but what hotel did you stay at with the package? Could you recommend one?
A little cheaper than the one in LA. I think we ran about $16/head.

Originally Posted by blueferrari
nice report; coincidentally I was thinking Hanoi or Taipei for next destination, and this report is very helpful.

great photos too, thanks for sharing.
My pleasure, thank you.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Unbelievable photos, ChiefNWA! ^
I very much enjoyed your report.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by trinhvilla
Beautiful pictures especially the night shots. Your pictures tell us what a wonderful trip you had. Thanks very much.
Thank you!
Old May 30, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
Great report. I love Taipei. I want to go back to Taiwan and god, I am just salivating over the beef noodle soup that I have yet to find something even REMOTELY close to what you get there in NA....
The beef noodle soup was to die for! I'm gonna have to try making my own one day and see how close I can get (not confident in that).

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Great TR. Was in Vietnam earlier this year and loved it. Missed Hanoi, though.
Thanks, I agree, Hanoi was fantastic.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Looks like an great trip through Asia, ChiefNWA. A nice contrast of the bustling cities and the peacefulness of Ha Long Bay. Good news about the free/cheap flights continuing too.
Thanks DanielW. The flight benefits news is indeed great and something that I appreciate every time I travel. My life would be very different without the benefits...

I agree regarding the contrast. Most of my travels in the last several years have been day trips to large metropolises. Namibia, South Africa and Ha Long Bay have all reminded me that there's so much more out there than just another 10m+ populated city.

Originally Posted by MA330
Thank you very much for this report. Great photos, too.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Coathanger
Nice balance of flight and destination photos.

I'll be visiting Hanoi for the first time in a few months and the food scene there looks great!
Vietnam, and Hanoi in particular, is a great place for foodies. The Pho, Bun Cha, Cha Ca Thang, Bahn Mi, etc... I could go on and on.

Good to know the report was balanced. I included a few more flight photos than I did with the link sent to family and friends, they just don't care lol.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Been to all the places in this report and loved reading it. Vietnam is a beautiful place, try Hue next time.,great city. I really loved your picture of the bull with the Bund in the background. Been to Shanghai many times and trying to picture the spot and angle where you took the picture..
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Been to all the places in this report and loved reading it. Vietnam is a beautiful place, try Hue next time.,great city. I really loved your picture of the bull with the Bund in the background. Been to Shanghai many times and trying to picture the spot and angle where you took the picture..
Thanks and ya getting that picture was not easy... Stood there at least 15 minutes waiting.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Thanks and ya getting that picture was not easy... Stood there at least 15 minutes waiting.
Definitely worth the wait...
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Great TR - Hanoi brought back many memories.

I did a day street food tour with Tuan from Gay Hanoi Tours

https://www.facebook.com/gayhanoitour/?fref=nf

totally amazing experience and highly recommended
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great photos and report! Thank you for sharing.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Great TR - Hanoi brought back many memories.

I did a day street food tour with Tuan from Gay Hanoi Tours

https://www.facebook.com/gayhanoitour/?fref=nf

totally amazing experience and highly recommended
Thanks, I did a similar food tour in Saigon and it was fantastic.

Originally Posted by 757
Great photos and report! Thank you for sharing.
Thank you, much appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.