Go Back   > >

Old May 19, 17, 9:11 am   #1
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Cool Going South (Uruguay, Argentina & Chile) w/ Avianca and a little bit of Rouge

Intro
Hello all! 11 months w/o a holiday is enough to make anyone go a bit batty.

In any case, like many I was trying to earn enough points to take a holiday. While my original plan was to go to New Zealand in first, the devaluation last fall, pretty much killed that idea, let alone how limited flights were.

I then started looking into other options, and South America came to mind. I’ve been curious about Uruguay since I heard a classmate talk about it in class in university so I figured why not?

Of course reading stories from others here about the key to maximizing points is to do multiple stops made me think “Why not add in Argentina and Chile too? They have wine there!”

Well after numerous calls to Aeroplan (since I couldn’t book it online on my own) and wanting to add in a stop to Mexico for lunch with my fam on the way back (made booking even more complicated), everything was booked and ready to go.

Of course, this will be in business class, and it’s actually my first time flying this way, so I’ll give the following disclaimer in that I’m easy to please and def. not a DYKWIA type of person. Working in hospitality gives one sympathy.

But I digress… stay tuned for a heavily wine focused Trip Report with a business class noob…

First stop... LIM for the evening, with a 50min stopover in SAL.

Last edited by iceblueshoes; May 22, 17 at 9:47 pm Reason: better title
iceblueshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 8:22 am   #2

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Looking forward to this adventure!
roadwarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 3:04 pm   #3

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hey, question for you. I take it you are connecting at Lima to catch an avaince flight to Uruguay. Did they make you pay the departure tax at the airport?
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 17, 5:20 pm   #4
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Hey, question for you. I take it you are connecting at Lima to catch an avaince flight to Uruguay. Did they make you pay the departure tax at the airport?
I plan on uploading tonight but to answer your question, yes they made me pay. ($31 USD)
Would have been nice to have been warned about this prior and aeroplan goofed in booking with a 20hr connection instead of as a sep flight.
Ugh...
Old May 22, 17, 9:06 pm   #5
Original Poster

Day 1
Well the day had finally come for me to begin my trek to South America.
First it was off to the airport in order to get my flight with Avianca.

Since I was a first time Uber user, I figured, why not try it out and use it to get to the airport. Ride was fine. Driver was actually a good conversationlist. Unfortuntely Uber didn’t apply my credit it.
If anyone can tell me how to contact them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways though, got to the airport and enjoyed not having to wait in line.
After clearing security I went to the Maple Leaf Lounge. Finally, I would have the chance to check out the much talked about Maple Leaf Lounge… Annd…… it’s rather underwhelming…

Neat fountain.

Lounge wasn’t too busy. In decent shape, looks nice but the food and drinks selection was average at best.

Decent spirits though, but it reminded me of the domestic lounge at YVR.
At least it’s not too busy though. Easy place to find a spot to sit.

I had some macaroni and cheese. It was ok, but nothing great. Also had a few glasses of wine, but wasn’t trying to get drunk or anything.
Anyways, after a little while I figured I should get to the gate so off I went. I could get used to this earlier boarding thing 

The plane

Plane is decent enough. No pods sadly, but there’s IFE and the seats are fairly wide.

The purser quickly offered us a welcome drink (sparkling wine)
What some people were being allowed to bring as carry-on was beyond insanity…

Anyways, flight itself was ok, but no menu, no real options, besides, beef, chicken or fish. I went for the fish (tilapia) this time (more on this later)
It was alright.

Meal #2 from YYZ to SAL

Some sort of wrap thing. Not too shabby.

Since the bathroom was busy for a long time, I decided to use the bathroom in the back (Economy)

When I got back the flight attendant asked "why did you use the one in the back?"
To which I answered "the one up front was busy for so long."

My happy place:

And my happy place at dusk...

Anyways, finally we arrive in San Salvador for a 40-ish minute layover. No time to check out the lounge, just enough to run for a quick washroom break though and then… wait… gee thanks desk agent for saying “we’re boarding soon”…. And then taking another 30mins almost.

Well back on the plane, so far looked the same… until I sat down. No IFE… and no USB. The prior plane had the ports on the side.
Plane is looking a little worn, but life goes on.

Same welcome drink again… but with some nuts this time.

Flight to be continued... sorry for the delay...

Last edited by iceblueshoes; May 22, 17 at 9:12 pm
Old May 22, 17, 9:25 pm   #6
Original Poster

Well finally on board and no IFE means nothing to watch. No big deal since I planned on studying a bit and then napping.

No amenity kit (I'll take a photo of the one I got during the YYZ > SAL flight later on)

Food was more or less the same, although their was an option for a veggie lasagna which I went for:

As an aside, why offer someone a veggie dish, but octopus as a side... ...?!

The strawberry tart desert was really good though!

Besides that, not much to say about this flight. Trolls was on the overhead screens. Pursers offered us the welcome drink and asked us thing by name. Pretty surprised by it, but a nice touch. I can see why people like it, but honestly, if someone didn't say it, I wouldn't flip out.

Flight got in to LIM about 5mins early, unfortunately Aeroplan booked my trip as a 20hr layover instead of sep. legs, so when I left I had to pay the departure tax. Ugh.
Anyways, more on that later.

But for now, finally made it to Lima. Off to the Ibis to check in...
More to come...
Old May 24, 17, 10:24 pm   #7
Original Poster

So finally I'd made it to Lima.
Thinking my bag would be out quick was a pipe dream. As I mentioned before Aeroplan didn't book it as separate legs, but rather as a layover (20hrs or so) so I was supposed to stay in the airport that time. ...!?

Anyways, finally made to the hotel, Ibis. I decided to go on this one since it had just opened and I didn't know that my previous points expired PRIOR to me booking a non-refundable rate.

Anyways... the room....

What's behind here...

Nifty!

Other angle of the room:

It's serviceable.
Didn't take any pictures of the bathroom. It's an accessible one. Works I guess.

The lobby.

After a "nap", it was off to see Lima again.

After wandering around, it was time to get my stuff from the hotel and then back to the airport to continue onto Uruguay.

As was mentioned before, I had to pay the departure tax thanks to a goof up at Aeroplan. By the time it was all done, I had 20mins at the lounge (Not a Star Alliance one)
Let me say, this lounge was a real disappointment.

This orange machine was the highlight

It did make good OJ I do admit.

I did see a llama, so it wasn't a total waste...

Anyways, finally boarded and just as I thought we'd have the same meals, we got wowed with a lasagna. (Ok not wow'd but same)
Anyways, same crappy seats (no trolls this time)

Food:

Dessert (was ok), photo to follow...

Flight it self was ok, but I had had a hard time sleeping... or trying to, but finally, I'd made it to Montevideo!

Last edited by iceblueshoes; May 24, 17 at 10:40 pm