Wiki Posts
Search

MB European Delivery Program – An Adventure on Wheels

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by farbster
Terrific pics. I was interested in doing ED for a BMW, but my wife nixed that idea. Oh well, next life!
Thanks.

Well, that's too bad. I've read many great experiences shared by those who took BMW ED. Might want to search for those trip reports and perhaps ....

FlightNurse had posted one two years ago in this forum. Check it out.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:08 pm

Amazing photography, what gear do you use and any tips ?
Old May 18, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Allset2travel First off, what a trip report! What a great read! Second, These photos are simply stunning! Would would you kindly share what equipment you use? Are you a professional?

Lastly, I cannot wait to show Mrs. Glasman your photos of the Lauterbrunnen area. We leave next week staying at the Hotel Siberhorn where my daughters will be skydiving as a celebration of my youngest graduation from College. Did you make it up to PizGloria? If so is it worth it?

We have completed 4 ED's. No other way to purchase a car. Sorry we are BMW fanatics.
Attached Images  

Last edited by glasman19; May 18, 2017 at 7:19 pm
Old May 19, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
Great report, with some wonderful pictures! Can't wait for the rest.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flavio1990
Amazing photography, what gear do you use and any tips ?
Thanks.

I used Nikon D750 with 28mm-300mm zoom lens + 50mm prime. Filters are ND and PLD. plus Canon G7x. Always shoot in RAW with a little post process in LR.

I frequently use bracketed shots (at least 5), with 1 stop difference from each. post process into HDR.

For panos, I use 5 to 9 vertical shots, hand held. Stitch together in LR.

Sometime I shoot with Nikon D90, mainly with 300mm to get effective 450mm, due to cropped format.

So, no big secrets. Hope this helps.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glasman19
Allset2travel First off, what a trip report! What a great read! Second, These photos are simply stunning! Would would you kindly share what equipment you use? Are you a professional?

Lastly, I cannot wait to show Mrs. Glasman your photos of the Lauterbrunnen area. We leave next week staying at the Hotel Siberhorn where my daughters will be skydiving as a celebration of my youngest graduation from College. Did you make it up to PizGloria? If so is it worth it?

We have completed 4 ED's. No other way to purchase a car. Sorry we are BMW fanatics.
Thank you for reading. please see previous post regarding my gears. Yes, I am a pro simply because clients pays for my work. Even if no one buys, photography is still a passion. Under very special conditions, I lead workshop to shoot in China.

I did make it PizGloria, and I regretted it. We ran out of time. I hear it id fantastic! Hope you don't miss it.

Skydiving sound like fun. Wish you guys enjoy your trip.

Congrats for being a veteran of Bimmer ED.^
Old May 19, 2017, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iaflyer
Great report, with some wonderful pictures! Can't wait for the rest.
Thanks for reading.

I am running a little behind in posting, sorry. I will post asap.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Part 13 Lauterbrunnen and Murren

We re-visited Lauterbrunnen early morning by hiking around the village. In addition, we also drove around the village to do more exploration.

Lauterbrunnen: The sun was bright and temperature warm

Lauterbrunnen Valley

Since we had planned to do a late lunch in Murren, we dropped off the car and walked to the Lauterbrunnen train station. Next to the station, we hopped on the Lauterbrunnen-Grutschelp cable car to Grutschelp, and transferred to the BLM mountain train. Voila, within an hour, we were there.
Mürren is a traditional Walser mountain village in Bernese Oberland, at an elevation of 1,638m (5,374 ft.) above sea level. Nowhere else is the view of the imposing summits of Eiger, Monch and Jungfaru more incredible! Immerse yourself in the atmosphere of this mountain village with its traditional chalets. As a car-free sun terrace, Mürren is heaven for hikers and adventure seekers. We sure enjoyed the visit!

Murren: Wow, what a view!

Murren: More nice views!

Murren: The rustic village

Murren: The view

By now we were famished. With no particular preference other than some place with a nice view (no that hard to find here), we sat down and ordered our food. My meat ball looked more like a thick hamburger, but it was delicious. The salad was fresh.

Murren: Late lunch in Murren

We walked some more, pretty much went through the entire village along the main drag. Then back to the train station. Our return trip was uneventful, but more crowded.

Next up: Revisit of Wenger, Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald-First Gondola. Photo of Grindelwald

Old May 20, 2017, 2:40 pm

Was it easy driving around. I am scared to rent a car anywhere I go abroad.

I was in Murren 30 years ago and liked it but never went to Wengen which looks nice.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Not really a region which is hard to drive. Germany is generally easy to drive.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by arkangel
Great trip report and photos! It brought back some wonderful memories of my MB European Delivery experience in June, 2010. I purchased an E350 Cabriolet, in red no less. It stood out like a "sore thumb" when viewing the 30, or so, silver, and black, other vehicles due for pickup that day. I kept my license plate and it is now "displayed" on the front of my 350. It begins with "BB."

The lunch was wonderful and, like yourselves, didn't use up all of my voucher. So, they gave me a few bottles of wine to "take with!"

I then drove to Mulhouse to visit friends near there and, on a short stretch of the autobahn enroute, was able to reach a speed of 210km/hr. And was still passed by a Porsche!

Following my stay in Alsace, I drove to Paris to meet my wife and friends. Unfortunately, I wasn't watching my speed close enough and was pulled over by mobile radar for doing 165km/hr in a 130km/hr zone. Following a visit at the nearest gendarmarie, much to my surprise, I was only fined 45 Euros. I was told that they allow 15Km/hr over the limit, so my ultimate fine was for 20 over.

Finally, the organ at the cathedral at Passau is, indeed, the largest functioning church pipe organ. There are larger instruments in the US: the Wanamaker at Macy's dept. store in Philadelphia, and the Atlantic City Convention Center instrument. But, these are, of course, not church organs, and the latter is not fully functioning.
In June of 2016 we travelled in Europe, on arriving home I got a few French Fines, from speed camera. one was for 64 in a 60 zone 45 Euro.

4 over is a bit harsh !!!!
Old May 21, 2017, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Part 14 Wengen, Kleine Scheidegg and Gridnelwald

This was the last full day here in Berner Oberland. We went back to Wengen, Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald again.

In Wengen, we hiked through the village searching for a vantage point for some panoramic shots of the Lauterbrunnen valley. Some part of this village is quite hilly. I saw many tourists pulling their luggage up and down the street to get to their hotels or B&B. Wengen, like Murren is a car-free village.
It was a good hike, mostly downhill toward the lower side of the village where I found a spot to shoot this photo.

Panoramic view of Lauterbrunnen Valley from Wengen

Returned back to the Wengen train station. Sat down for a cup of coffee while waiting for the next train to Kleine Scheidegg.

Kleine Scheidegg: Hiking trail

Kleine Scheidegg: Hiking trail

The train coming down the mountain from Jungfraujoch

Kleine Scheidegg: Restaurant

Did not hang around KS for too long before we hopped on the train for Grindelwald. From here, the entire route is heading downhill.

After arrival by train, we strolled around this rather large Alpine village of Grindelwald quite a bit. We took the Grindelwald-First gondola (aka Firstbahn) to the top to take in more alpine views.

Grindelwald First

Grindelwald First

Grindelwald First

Really enjoyed the time here! We took the last gondola down. The weather soon turned from sunny to cloudiness to rain all within an hour.
We were not prepared for the rain, so we quickly returned to the train station. We wrapped up the day at Grindelwald and took the train first to Interlaken (in hope that the rain would stop, then we would do dinner there, but no such luck) then home back to Lauterbrunnen.

Next up: Thun and Zurich
Zurich
Old May 21, 2017, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee

I was in Murren 30 years ago and liked it but never went to Wengen which looks nice.
Driving on the Autobahn in Germany was easy. Often, there were congestions due to road work or accident. With GPS, driving gets much easier. Sometimes it is a challenge to find parking, nonetheless.

Wenger is beautiful, but Murren trumps Wenger, IMHO.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Not really a region which is hard to drive. Germany is generally easy to drive.
You are absolutely correct. I found it easier to drive in Germany than most countries in Europe.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
In June of 2016 we travelled in Europe, on arriving home I got a few French Fines, from speed camera. one was for 64 in a 60 zone 45 Euro.

4 over is a bit harsh !!!!
So sorry to hear that. The law is NOT ALWAYS FARE to everybody.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.