Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Yikes!! House hunting in Manhattan... via Virgin America and American First Class

Yikes!! House hunting in Manhattan... via Virgin America and American First Class

Old May 1, 2017, 3:35 pm

I'm so confused. Why didn't MrsSFO777 cook you a dinner in your hotel. Looked like a decent enough kitchen Ha!

Best of luck!
Old May 1, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Welcome to the city!

you got very lucky--the weather has been nasty here lately!
Old May 1, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Although, I question the sanity of anyone who moves to that island two hundred or so miles south of here ; I couldn't wait and I had to visit your site, SFO777, to see for myself if your AA F experience was as pAAthetic/lackluster as ours two weeks ago when we opted to connect via JFK to SFO to visit a friend who just moved out there (F fare was actually cheaper than the J fare on DL/AA). After the latest and greatest 'Flagship' episode, I questioned my own sanity and now it's definitely back to DL.

Any-who, as misery loves company, or if it's any consolation, you're not alone: on our flight (AA 67) there was one other revenue pax in First from what I could tell and the rest were NRSA. Almost the exact same routine (inedible cuisine and cheap cheap wine), only we were treated to a gab fest in the galley for a good 45 minutes... #goingforgreat

As always, thanks for sharing and best of luck with the move!
Old May 1, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Congrats on your upcoming move SFO777. I think you will feel right at home on the East Side. Your pics of the prewar apartment near Sutton Place reminded me of where I lived as a baby/toddler (1982-85, so I am one of those "effing millennials" ) ) My parents loved the east 50s because they could walk everywhere in midtown with relative ease - shopping, restaurants and their offices. And they paid $750 a month back then, as it was a rent-stabilized illegal sublet

There is also something to be said about the convenience factor of living in Manhattan. Just about anything you want is at your doorstep, within a mile or two, without having to deal with driving or parking your own car. And even though the traffic to JFK is a pain (at rush hour, the E train from 53rd & Lex + AirTrain is faster) you have multiple nonstop options to so many destinations from all three airports.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Again, wonderful photos and such an enjoyable read. Good luck with the house hunting. Having the same address for 18 years I get nightmares just thinking of packing up - never mind finding a place that I like. I may need to do that in the next year or so, and to another country as well to add to my nerves.
Thank you so much roadwarrier for your kind comments. 18 years in the same place is amazing. Our record was 10 years in San Francisco but now we're like nomads, looking to explore and experience new places.

Mrs. SFO777 asked me where I would like to live. My response was:
1) Paris
2) New York
3) Cape Town
4) Montreal
5) Denver

She vetoed 1, 3 and 4 so here we are.

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I love this report so much!!! As a born and bred New Yorker, I would love for you to live there! Gramercy Tavern is one of my absolute favorites as well, you're right that lunch is a fantastic deal there!
Haven't been to Marea yet but a friend was there last month and loved it.
Have you been to Del Posto? The pasta is mouth-wateringly divine. I very much encourage you to check that out on your next visit! Also great for a lunch visit and a nice walk on the High Line after, with a stop at the Blue Bottle kiosk for a New Orleans style iced coffee.
Thank you CappiccinoAddict. Have not been to Del Posto yet but we're going back for 3 nights mid month and plan on another 6 restos. We're torn at this point. Do we want to move or just visit a lot. Decisions, decisions.

Originally Posted by warreng24
Another neat SFO777 trip report. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks warreng24.

Originally Posted by Parterre
SFO777 strikes me as someone for whom the Upper East Side would be a perfect fit. I'm sorry you were subjected to the realtor run-around about "Upper Carnegie Hill", which is just East Harlem; the actual Carnegie Hill is really a very quiet and pretty neighborhood with some beautiful houses on the side streets and an abundance of restaurants-- though not necessarily the Michelin-starred ones you so often frequent!
I have however eaten at Gramercy Tavern a few times, the last pretty recently, though I can't remember what I ate besides a pea soup and (a lot of) the bread. That said, it's nice to see the familiar through your distinct perspective.
LOL on the "Upper Carnegie Hill" real estate scam. I kind of figured we were going a little too fare north when we passed tenements on Madison. Yep, Mrs. SFO777 has decreed Upper East Side it is. Woe is me. We're back in two week to decide if the wallet can handle it.

Originally Posted by Fraser
His first restaurant Union Square Cafe just reopened after having relocated. Getting excellent reviews. I stopped by shortly before he shut up shop at the original location and half bottles of Krug were $55 ^
He's the same guy behind Shake Shack.
http://www.ushgnyc.com/restaurants/
Thank you Fraser. Half bottle or Krug at $55. OMG. Sign me up.

Originally Posted by farbster
I'm so confused. Why didn't MrsSFO777 cook you a dinner in your hotel. Looked like a decent enough kitchen Ha! Best of luck!
Good one. Not a chance I'm going to suggest that. One of the attractions of NYC is that she thinks she'll never have to cook again.

Originally Posted by sriegert
Welcome to the city!
you got very lucky--the weather has been nasty here lately!
Thanks sriegert. Yeah I saw that. We'll be back Mothers Day weekend so the weather should be nice.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Although, I question the sanity of anyone who moves to that island two hundred or so miles south of here ; I couldn't wait and I had to visit your site, SFO777, to see for myself if your AA F experience was as pAAthetic/lackluster as ours two weeks ago when we opted to connect via JFK to SFO to visit a friend who just moved out there (F fare was actually cheaper than the J fare on DL/AA). After the latest and greatest 'Flagship' episode, I questioned my own sanity and now it's definitely back to DL.
Any-who, as misery loves company, or if it's any consolation, you're not alone: on our flight (AA 67) there was one other revenue pax in First from what I could tell and the rest were NRSA. Almost the exact same routine (inedible cuisine and cheap cheap wine), only we were treated to a gab fest in the galley for a good 45 minutes... #goingforgreat
As always, thanks for sharing and best of luck with the move!
Thanks so much CHOPCHOP767. God, I loathe Parker and AA. Yet here I am in the LAX Qantas Lounge waiting for my "free" mileage run AA flight to LHR. But I just ate an amazing dinner in the QF lounge so I wouldn't have to worry or care about what mysterious food AA will serve in First Class tonight.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:30 pm

You are missing quintessential Denver weather, SFO777. Eight inches of heavy wet snow last Friday and Saturday, and we are back up to 80 degrees by this next Friday! Don't you miss our whiplash weather???
Old May 1, 2017, 10:09 pm
sgh
Suspended

Programs: AA 2 MM, AA Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
As a visitor to your trip reports, I would encourage you & Mrs. SFO 777 to move to the UES. It is a wonderful experience , that few other places in the world will be able to replicate. Paris and London may seem a little more polished, but living in UES Manhattan gives you a little more grit of NYC living and if it gets to be too much to handle, you can retire to your UES enclave which is so civilized and proper as to be a part of London's Knightsbridge or Rue du Faubourg St. Honore in Paris.. I am being a little tongue in cheek here, but I am someone who has a little bit of experience living in Manhattan. I am well aware of the cost of living ( $10K plus monthly rent etc.for the kind of places you are looking at.) But I do believe there is no other place like it on this planet. Just my humble opinion. However, I would like to offer a word of warning, Manhattan in the summer is horrible. South Florida (where I currently live is paradise , compared with summer in Manhattan). If you do move to NYC, be prepared that in the summer months you may want to have a place in the Hamptons or the Jersey Shore or in Connecticut. If you don't, the heat will be the negative . However the positive will be that you will be able to get a table at pretty much any restaurant that you please.

Last edited by sgh; May 1, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Old May 1, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LadyShiva
You are missing quintessential Denver weather, SFO777. Eight inches of heavy wet snow last Friday and Saturday, and we are back up to 80 degrees by this next Friday! Don't you miss our whiplash weather???
LOL. That is so Denver Lady Shiva. I remember Mrs. SFO777 deciding to plant flowers last year before May 15th only to have 6 inches of snow fall on May 13th. Guess who had to run around and get blankets to cover the flowers. We've pretty much decided that it's New York or Denver.

Originally Posted by sgh
As a visitor to your trip reports, I would encourage you & Mrs. SFO 777 to move to the UES. It is a wonderful experience , that few other places in the world will be able to replicate. Paris and London may seem a little more polished, but living in UES Manhattan gives you a little more grit of NYC living and if it gets to be too much to handle, you can retire to your UES enclave which is so civilized and proper as to be a part of London's Knightsbridge or Rue du Faubourg St. Honore in Paris.. I am being a little tongue in cheek here, but I am someone who has a little bit of experience living in Manhattan. I am well aware of the cost of living ( $10K plus monthly rent etc.for the kind of places you are looking at.) But I do believe there is no other place like it on this planet. Just my humble opinion. However, I would like to offer a word of warning, Manhattan in the summer is horrible. South Florida (where I currently live is paradise , compared with summer in Manhattan). If you do move to NYC, be prepared that in the summer months you may want to have a place in the Hamptons or the Jersey Shore or in Connecticut. If you don't, the heat will be the negative . However the positive will be that you will be able to get a table at pretty much any restaurant that you please.
Thanks so much sgh. If we do NY, we're pretty convinced that it's going to be the Upper East Side. We just need to work thru the less space for double/triple the price thing. But we're definitely in the "there's no place like Manhattan" camp. Not wild about the summer heat and humidity, so we're thinking summer in the OC and then maybe September 1st would be a good time to move.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by sgh
If you do move to NYC, be prepared that in the summer months you may want to have a place in the Hamptons or the Jersey Shore or in Connecticut. If you don't, the heat will be the negative .
I presume SFO777's summer place will be the AF F lounge at CDG .
Old May 1, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I presume SFO777's summer place will be the AF F lounge at CDG .
OK, now there's a great idea. In fact, I'll be there for 5 hours on Wednesday without Mrs. SFO777 to hold me back.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: United MP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Happy to hear you are moving to NYC. Give Brooklyn a look if you are so inclined. Brooklyn heights is a great area though understand you might want to be in Manhattan. Once you move here make sure to eat at chefs table at Brooklyn fare, probably one of the best meal I have ever had. Also go to lucali and get some pizza.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I'd hire a private chef and stay in SoCal.
Better weather: check
Lower rents & more space: check
Mrs SFO777 will never have to cook again: check
Luxury boutiques aren't right around the corner (like in NYC): check

Just my two cents, SFO777
Old May 2, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Some great photos there as you moved around NYC - definitely places the usual tourist doesn't venture to!
Old May 2, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks so much sgh. If we do NY, we're pretty convinced that it's going to be the Upper East Side. We just need to work thru the less space for double/triple the price thing. But we're definitely in the "there's no place like Manhattan" camp. Not wild about the summer heat and humidity, so we're thinking summer in the OC and then maybe September 1st would be a good time to move.
If you move to Manhattan, it reminded me, for some reason, of the Seinfeld bit on Manhattan area codes.

Old May 2, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I am currently in the middle of a move from San Diego to Charlotte so let me give you one piece of advice: Save the hassle of working with a mover and light your things on fire!

Good luck.
somemale likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.