Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Konnichiwa! LH F (via FRA FCT & a 911) to Japan for Sakura. Back home via Shanghai.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Konnichiwa! LH F (via FRA FCT & a 911) to Japan for Sakura. Back home via Shanghai.

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 8:49 am

More! More! More!

Wife and I just booked flights to Japan for this coming January. We are debating on switching it to Mid April or May (can't do beginning of April due to tax season) to see the cherry blossoms. But those crowds are making me want to keep the winter trip lol
Old May 18, 2017, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by gaobest
Gorgeous pictures, esp from Aman and Nobu. I loved the Christo joke :-)
I've never seen a chocolate shoe. Is Afternoon Tea similar to British tea or is it a Japanese tea with non-Japanese savory and sweets?
How much time did you have Inbetween Aman and Nobu - I felt full just looking at the afternoon tea pictures :-)
Thank you very much for your compliments, gaobest!
The Aman Afternoon Tea is indeed quite similar to British tea, but on the creative side (the chocolate shoe was tasty...)
We had a full three hours in between Aman & Nobu, more than enough in my book...

Originally Posted by 747FC
JR: Thanks for the great pix of Cherry Blossoms. I've started searching for award flights for next year.

Love this: "Someone must have told the pastry chef that Mrs JohnRain was coming today." LOL.
Thank you very much, 747FC!
Cherry blossom season in Japan is indeed quite unique and memorable, you should book those flights!

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Actually, may have been a smart move on your part to not start the Aman experience at Aman Tokyo. Bali Amans would server better as a starter
Yeah I really have to give the Aman experience a try and Bali has been on my list for way too long already, BESVISOR...

Originally Posted by Bretteee
They have great chefs in Japan. 40 years ago I had the best Stroganoff at the Palace Hotel I believe it was called.

I want to go back to Japan. I was told to go in April for the Pinus Festival outside Tokyo that takes place on the first Saturday or Sunday of April and the Geisha Festivals in Kyoto. They show them on YouTube.

Your pictures make me want to go back.
Thank you very much for your comment, Bretteee. There are indeed so many good reasons to go to Japan!

Originally Posted by offerendum
The pancake looks nice, perhaps a little too healthy The Aman tea may be nice, not so sure about the hotel.
Yes the mango pancake was just what the doctor ordered (at least on vacation), offerendum... .
I was tempted to give the Aman a try, but entry-level rooms north of 1000 USD made me reconsider.

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
More! More! More!

Wife and I just booked flights to Japan for this coming January. We are debating on switching it to Mid April or May (can't do beginning of April due to tax season) to see the cherry blossoms. But those crowds are making me want to keep the winter trip lol
LOL DetailsIM, thanks for your enthusiasm!
It is entirely possible to enjoy the cherry blossom experience without the crowds, but it involves rising at 5AM. A friend of mine strongly recommended this to me but for some reason I never heard the alarm clock...

Update: the next installment will be online tomorrow.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Brilliant report JohnRain. Sakura season is so special, my Mum still talks about it 13 years after her trip to see it with me. Nobu looks as good as ever, do they still have the cigar room there?
Old May 18, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Fantastic pictures and report.

Makes me want to return to Japan for more Sakura.

LH FCT Duck???? (picture?)
Old May 18, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Those dishes at Nobu look delicious. I'm heading back to Tokyo in July and don't have much planned other than returning to Dons de la Nature, ramen, and some whisky hunting. I may have to mirror some of your dining choices again
Old May 19, 2017, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole
Brilliant report JohnRain. Sakura season is so special, my Mum still talks about it 13 years after her trip to see it with me. Nobu looks as good as ever, do they still have the cigar room there?
Thanks so much rosensfole! Sakura makes for unforgettable memories indeed. I wish I could take my mum there as well but she's not a big fan of longhaul flights.
I didn't even know about the Cigar Room at Nobu, but thanks for giving me a good excuse to go back...

Originally Posted by Billiken
Fantastic pictures and report.

Makes me want to return to Japan for more Sakura.

LH FCT Duck???? (picture?)
Thank you very much Billiken!
Yes, one can never get enough of Sakura indeed.
Please be patient as there will of course be a picture of the LH FCT Duck (Easter '17 Edition), but it's still a few installments away...

Originally Posted by chongl
Those dishes at Nobu look delicious. I'm heading back to Tokyo in July and don't have much planned other than returning to Dons de la Nature, ramen, and some whisky hunting. I may have to mirror some of your dining choices again
Nobu remains one of my favourite "chain" restaurants indeed (along with Zuma) and Tokyo didn't disappoint. Your July trip sounds mouthwatering,
chongl, looking forward to the report already...
Old May 19, 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Thanks so much rosensfole! Sakura makes for unforgettable memories indeed. I wish I could take my mum there as well but she's not a big fan of longhaul flights.
I didn't even know about the Cigar Room at Nobu, but thanks for giving me a good excuse to go back...
It was 20 years since my visit to Nobu Tokyo (for shame!) so I guess it must have changed. If memory serves, as you entered, there was a bar to the left, a waiting area straight ahead with the climate controlled cigar "vault" to the right of that. To get to the main seating area you had to walk around the vault. You would have noticed if it was still there. We were guests of Nobu and were seated on a table next to Takeshi Kitano, who was hilarious, then taken back to the waiting area for brandy and our choice of cigar. It was some evening I can tell you.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:22 am
Original Poster

It was 20 years since my visit to Nobu Tokyo (for shame!) so I guess it must have changed. If memory serves, as you entered, there was a bar to the left, a waiting area straight ahead with the climate controlled cigar "vault" to the right of that. To get to the main seating area you had to walk around the vault. You would have noticed if it was still there. We were guests of Nobu and were seated on a table next to Takeshi Kitano, who was hilarious, then taken back to the waiting area for brandy and our choice of cigar. It was some evening I can tell you.
The general setting you describe is still the same but they must have done away with the cigar room as I didn't see it and it's not mentioned on their website either.
Sounds like you had an epic evening, rosensfole...
Old May 19, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Starbucks Gold, CO Op gold
Very nice report, love the pics, shame that 3 star Michelin Restaurant wasn't very good.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Omar84
Very nice report, love the pics, shame that 3 star Michelin Restaurant wasn't very good.
Thank you very much, Omar84!
It was only the sister-property of a 3 Michelin star restaurant in Kyoto and has the exact number of stars it deserves: 0
Old May 19, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thank you very much, Omar84!
It was only the sister-property of a 3 Michelin star restaurant in Kyoto and has the exact number of stars it deserves: 0
Sister properties are often fascinating "Overseen by", "Restaurant of 3 star chef" etc. In many cases this sister properties have not really much in common with the original. Of course their are excemptions....
Old May 19, 2017, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Sister properties are often fascinating "Overseen by", "Restaurant of 3 star chef" etc. In many cases this sister properties have not really much in common with the original. Of course their are excemptions....
Absolutely right, offerendum.
I'm usually also very cautious when it comes to restaurants of that category but in this case the fact that it is located within the Peninsula managed to convince me to try it. The food wasn't bad as such, it was just pretty bland and very expensive. What was really curious though was the fact that we were the only guests (whereas all other Pen restaurants were at least half full that evening as I later found out.)
Old May 19, 2017, 6:56 am

The general setting you describe is still the same but they must have done away with the cigar room as I didn't see it and it's not mentioned on their website either.
Sounds like you had an epic evening, rosensfole...
I've just looked at some pictures... and you're right. The comfy chairs and vault have been replaced by a screen and lots of extra dining tables added, doubling the size of the dining space.
Shame though, some of the class has gone as a result. Robert De Niro kept his personal cigar stash in that vault, especially the Cuban ones he wasn't allowed in the US.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:11 am
Original Poster

I've just looked at some pictures... and you're right. The comfy chairs and vault have been replaced by a screen and lots of extra dining tables added, doubling the size of the dining space.
Shame though, some of the class has gone as a result. Robert De Niro kept his personal cigar stash in that vault, especially the Cuban ones he wasn't allowed in the US.
Well I guess this is just another illustration of profits first.
Fortunately the rest of the Nobu experience is still pretty much intact. It can't rival with my favourite Nobu in the world (on Lanai/Hawaii) but it's still very good.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:01 am
Original Poster

One of the many things I liked about breakfast at the Horizon Club: certain items were organic and regionally sourced.

On our last day in Tokyo we decided to explore colourful and quirky Akihabara, a district in central Tokyo that is famous for its many electronics shops. In more recent years, Akihabara has gained recognition as the center of Japan's otaku (diehard fan) culture with many shops and establishments devoted to anime and manga.

Gamer's paradise.

This game was the most action I could handle.

To lower my adrenalin levels we then visited the Yasukuni shrine.

Another example that the Swiss and the Japanese must share common DNA: they take recycling very seriously.

The nearby war museum was unfortunately about to close, but the kid in me loved these two bad boys...

Now that looks healthy.

On our last evening at the Horizon Club lounge I focused on drinks.

The hotel's Japanese restaurant Nadaman features sushi and teppanyaki counters as well as kaiseki, with private dining rooms. We opted for a semi-private (6 seats) teppanyaki room which we shared with just two other guests.

Magician at work.

If you could still talk I bet you would tell me stories about Mozart, massages and beer...

Bon appétit!

Up Next: JAL First Class to Osaka & first impressions of St Regis Osaka

Last edited by JohnRain; May 19, 2017 at 9:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.