Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

From the Home of the Golden State Warriors to and from the Hollywood Burbank Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From the Home of the Golden State Warriors to and from the Hollywood Burbank Airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

I woke up. I showered and clothed myself and packed my bag. I got the dog to the dog hotel. I went to the Oakland International Airport and parked in the Daily lot and had an $8/day off coupon. I walked to the terminal. I took off that which was necessary to not trip the metal detector. I presented my boarding pass to the Pre-check ticket checker. I presented my boarding pass and photo ID to the TSA agent. I went through the Pre-check line. I walked out to the Starbucks. I ordered an iced tea. I politely declined the suggestion of the cashier to buy a food item. I lined up at boarding time to my "A-somewhat-less-than-30" boarding position. I boarded at the appropriate time. I chose a seat in Row 5 and placed my bag in the overhead bin, wheels out. I sat down. A couple asked if the other two seats were occupied. As they were not, I told them they were not. I got up so they could get in. I returned to my seat. I fastened my seatbelt. The aircraft door closed. I put my phone in Airplane Mode. The plane taxied to the runway. The plane took off. The flight attendant took drink orders. I ordered water with ice. She eventually brought water with ice. She later brought honey roasted peanuts. I ate the peanuts. I drank the water. I consumed the ice. I read the morning's San Francisco Chronicle. I handed the empty water cup, the peanut bag, and the used newspaper to the flight attendant. I visited the lavatory at some point. I returned the tray table to the upright position when instructed. The seatbelt sign never was turned off. The flight was very smooth until just prior to landing. The plane landed. I disembarked. I called my mommy to let her know I had landed and was off the plane. A few minutes later, they were there with the car. We left the airport. I noticed that the airport was once again called the Hollywood Burbank Airport.

Two days later, they drove me back to the airport. The flight was still showing on time. I took off that which was necessary to not trip the metal detector. I presented my boarding pass and photo ID to the TSA agent. I went through the Pre-check line. The flight was then showing a delay of 10 minutes. The flight was then showing a delay of 20 minutes. I sat in a quiet area with plugs. I plugged in my phone charger. I later went to the gate area. A lady was having a hard time opening her bag of vegetable chips and asked if I could help. I helped. The bag opened. At the appropriate time, I lined up to my A 27 boarding position. I boarded at the appropriate time. I choice a seat in Row 6 and placed my bag in the overhead bin, wheels out. I sat down. A father and son asked if the other two seats were occupied. As they were not, I told them that they were not. I got up so they could get in. I returned to my seat. I fastened by seatbelt. The aircraft door closed. I put my phone in Airplane Mode. The plane taxied to the runway. The plane took off. The flight attendant passed out peanuts and/or pretzels. I ate the peanuts. The flight attendant then took drink orders. I ordered water with ice. After a short while, the captain decided that service should be stopped. I never received my water. The seatbelt sign never turned off. The worst turbulance until just prior to landing was very occasional extremely light chop. I read the inflight magazine. I read the drink menu. I looked at the safety information card. The plane landed. I walked back to the car in the rain. The cashier processed the parking charge after being presented with the coupon. I went home.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
LOL. Great report as always.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
WN! I've definitely been curious about them. Great TR but did you get water after landing in OAK? Or did you have water in your car? Just hope you weren't too thirsty.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
WN! I've definitely been curious about them. Great TR but did you get water after landing in OAK? Or did you have water in your car? Just hope you weren't too thirsty.
I was terribly thirsty. And yes, I got water after landing, because it was raining with wind when walking back to the car. In my mouth? Not so much. All over my glasses? Si.

Interestingly, it was not too dangerous to serve the passengers that had ordered and paid for their alcoholic beverages before the "service termination" announcement.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Hilarious report!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Do you like WN compared to any other airline that flies that route? I mainly fly out of SFO so am clueless about OAK
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Do you like WN compared to any other airline that flies that route? I mainly fly out of SFO so am clueless about OAK
WN only airline on the OAK/BUR route.
From SFO, UA had only tiny express for years. Now they have a couple of larger RJs in the mix. Fares are often outrageous. This means taking a second bag (laptop, valuables) because the regular carry-on needs to go downstairs. It also means a very delay-prone route.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilarious. I did the Burbank-Sacramento twice a week for 5 years. That is exactly how glamorous that segment of air travel is. Flying bus.
But you left out the air stairs and walking under the wing to board through the rear door. Best part of BUR.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: Various
Sounds glamorous. I have booked the very same route later this year just to get a new line on my Flightmemory. After reading this I'm very much looking forward to the experience.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
WN only airline on the OAK/BUR route.
From SFO, UA had only tiny express for years. Now they have a couple of larger RJs in the mix. Fares are often outrageous. This means taking a second bag (laptop, valuables) because the regular carry-on needs to go downstairs. It also means a very delay-prone route.
Untied has at least 1 mainline flight a day on SFO-BUR now.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
That was fun. Well done.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, B.A. Silver, Virgin Atlantic Gold, C.X. Diamond
I too have to call my mommy when I land, but I think thats because I'm still a kid \

One very pressing question remains- where did you get the coupon from?!

Amusing read though, many thanks
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by louislitt
I too have to call my mommy when I land, but I think thats because I'm still a kid \

One very pressing question remains- where did you get the coupon from?!

Amusing read though, many thanks
Coupon can be found here: http://www.oaklandairport.com/servic...ffers-coupons/

Great TR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.