Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Destination: Unknown - picking flights at the airport by the roll of a die!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination: Unknown - picking flights at the airport by the roll of a die!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Walking to the airport must be a first on FT - thanks for posting, impressive.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Sooooo awesome! Thanks for sharing
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Great report and loved the sense of adventure. Maybe next time you just rock up to the airport having nothing planned? Perhaps this could be the honeymoon strategy?

Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: QF, HH
We need more trip reports like this that inspire real adventure and real travel.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Cyprus had also moved forward an hour that morning, to EEST, maintaining their two hour advance on the UK. This also brought official time back into sync with that used in the north, who had followed Turkey in not introducing daylight savings last October; my first introduction to the complexities of this, Europe's only divided country.
Oh, and I so got caught flying out of Ercan Airport with that. Missed my flight to IST and had to pay a small fee.

Loved your report - I absolutely love the island.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
Nice report, I spent 10 weekends in Cyprus last year as my wife was working over there so did the same flights you took quite a few times - I don't miss the Swissport lounge much but have fond memories of the Cypriot food on offer at the local restaurants.

I never actually made it into Larnaca itself so it was interesting to see what it was like! Walking to Heathrow Terminal 5 is possible, and I did it a few times last year.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You make Cyprus seem like a great place for a long weekend, I think I will have to persuade Ms Flatlander to go there in the autumn.

Originally Posted by drminn
Try riding a bike - there was a study done at MSP last year that concluded that there was no legal way to reach the terminal by bicycle, except by loading it on a bus.
You can't cycle to LHR T2/3 any more now the tunnel cycle path lanes are being rebuilt ( and have been for over a year now ), I'm not sure if that will ever return. I don't even know if you can take a (non folding) bicycle on the buses to the central bus station. You have not been able to walk there for a very long time.

You can cycle to Cambridge International Airport... but there are no scheduled flights and no scheduled passenger terminal any more (only business charter)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
What a fun idea
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
love the concept! great thread. thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Walking to airports seems often difficult.....
Originally Posted by drminn
Try riding a bike - there was a study done at MSP last year that concluded that there was no legal way to reach the terminal by bicycle, except by loading it on a bus.
Originally Posted by mike&co
Originally Posted by flatlander
You make Cyprus seem like a great place for a long weekend, I think I will have to persuade Ms Flatlander to go there in the autumn.

You can't cycle to LHR T2/3 any more now the tunnel cycle path lanes are being rebuilt ( and have been for over a year now ), I'm not sure if that will ever return. I don't even know if you can take a (non folding) bicycle on the buses to the central bus station. You have not been able to walk there for a very long time.

You can cycle to Cambridge International Airport... but there are no scheduled flights and no scheduled passenger terminal any more (only business charter)

Since I can't drive and spent nearly ten years as a student, I'm quite used to the idea that anywhere within 3 miles is walkable. But when travelling I am routinely frustrated by airport access routes, un-British climates, or both Off the top of my head, the only ones I've managed are San Diego, Barra, and Gibraltar.

Terminal 5 would be about a 15 minute walk from Waterside - except that you'd have to take a bridge over which foot traffic is forbidden. It is at least viable by bike - there's even cycle racks on the arrivals level - unlike T2/3, as flatlander notes. There's various offices which are tantalisingly close to the cycle hub, yet completely unreachable, forcing a detour to T5 and then the HEX.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by halfcape
Very nice, great idea, thanks for posting.
Originally Posted by Tocsin
Well, that was different - thanks for the unusual TR! I don't think Mrs T would go for it, though...
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Sooooo awesome! Thanks for sharing
Originally Posted by Catweazle
We need more trip reports like this that inspire real adventure and real travel.
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
What a fun idea
Originally Posted by fivevsone
love the concept! great thread. thanks.
Thanks everyone! I was worried it didn't really fit with the usual offerings here, but I'm glad it seemed to find an audience.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:05 pm

I loved this TR! On a much smaller scale it reminded me of a trip I took to Greece many years ago. It had rained in Athens pretty much non-stop for 4-5 days. That was my limit. I went to the airport and looked at the departures board, which for some reason had not just the ETD and destinations but the weather forecast for each destination. Rhodes showed no rain, but I had just missed the flight. Crete - no rain in the forecast and a seat available. Sold! No regrets.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by mike&co
I remember that someone walked to an airport in Israel before. I've walked to TSA (Taipei Songshan, not the US security checkpoints) earlier this year. SHA and GMP are also walkable.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by Tocsin
Well, that was different - thanks for the unusual TR! I don't think Mrs T would go for it, though...
Well, if anyone is looking for a Mrs who doesn't mind such adventures, come over and marry me...! :P
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
I loved this! I've done car trips like this, but always wanted to try it with flights. I'm usually more on the over planning side of trip arrangements, so I like the semi-spontaneous nature of the way you've done this. Not sure I could convince my Mr that this is a great idea though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.