Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cherry Blossoms in Seoul and Round the World in Lufthansa, Asiana & JAL First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cherry Blossoms in Seoul and Round the World in Lufthansa, Asiana & JAL First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Simply wonderful. Honestly, there really ought to to be a movie about your travels! Thanks again for another First Class report! ^^
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow Incheon airport looked an extremely busy airport!

You're right, that beef dish didn't look appetising at all on that flight! What gives with the tomato too???
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:51 pm

SFO777 thanks for another great Tr. I particularly enjoyed the photos of Seoul. While I have never been there it is on my list. Keep up the good work.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Thank you for sharing!!! Jealous you got to visit my home city. The palace looks the best in the springtime too.

A bit shocked about Mondavi Chardonnay being served on OZ F... That was our go-to cheap wine to drink during summer days a few years ago in University lol!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:24 pm

Looking forward to the JAL review. So far, so goood

(still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on that fare)
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
Ahhh ... this brings back memories, since we have been to South Korea and Japan last October for 3 weeks in total.

We went with Asiana from NRT to ICN and back in a quite large (and almost fully booked) 747, which was impressive for a 2 1/2 hour flight.

Food-wise, although we are fond of "haute cuisine" as well, we also liked our local Gangnam-based Korean BBQ ...

(Saemaeul Sikdang Nonhyeon)

And: Very enjoyable report, as always! ^
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TaiwanIndependence
Thanks for the great report. Are you throwing away the return JFK-ICN or are we going to have to wait with bated breath for another Asian adventure in the near future?
Thank you TaiwanIndependence. I do plan on using the return in July after a June LAX-JFK-LAX trip. And then I'll start over again on round two, another LAX-JFK-LAX in September and then LAX-NRT-ICN in October on our way to China.

Originally Posted by STO747
Around 10-15 USD for 20-30 min ride within city and 110 USD to/from ICN.
Thanks SFO777 for another great trip report!
Good to know. Thanks very much STO747.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Simply wonderful. Honestly, there really ought to to be a movie about your travels! Thanks again for another First Class report! ^^
Thank you very much Seat 2A for the kind comments.

Originally Posted by jmj9905
SFO777 thanks for another great Tr. I particularly enjoyed the photos of Seoul. While I have never been there it is on my list. Keep up the good work.
Thanks so much jmj9905. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Thank you for sharing!!! Jealous you got to visit my home city. The palace looks the best in the springtime too. A bit shocked about Mondavi Chardonnay being served on OZ F... That was our go-to cheap wine to drink during summer days a few years ago in University lol!
Thank you SKYEG. Seoul was beautiful with the cherry blossoms in bloom. Totally agree about the Mondavi. Even if the Reserve is drinkable, the Mondavi name and historical baggage only should be enough to keep it off any J wine list.

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Looking forward to the JAL review. So far, so good (still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on that fare)
Thanks grandgourmand. I hear you. I'm missed my share of deals like this so I was glad to be able to find something that worked.

Originally Posted by Askartus
Ahhh ... this brings back memories, since we have been to South Korea and Japan last October for 3 weeks in total.
We went with Asiana from NRT to ICN and back in a quite large (and almost fully booked) 747, which was impressive for a 2 1/2 hour flight.
Food-wise, although we are fond of "haute cuisine" as well, we also liked our local Gangnam-based Korean BBQ ...
And: Very enjoyable report, as always! ^
Thanks so much Askartus. OK that Korean BBQ dish looks very tasty.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
Very nice report so far. I liked the pictures from Gyeongbokgung, I had been there a number of years ago but not during the spring. I was just in Nagoya last week, the cherry blossoms were past the peak - just missed it. Your pictures of Inchon airport make US airports (all of them) look, well, third world!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:33 pm

Awesome trip report! Always love doing a "wine tasting" in F as it involves full glasses of each selection. Life's too short for 2 oz glasses.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

JAL First Class Lounge at NRT

Just around the corner from the Quarantine Counter is the First Class Lounge. Lovely entrance...

But the lounge itself is pretty tired and in need of a makeover.

The focal point of the lounge is the unique Sake and Sushi bar.

My LAX-NRT 77W next door at Gate 61.

JAL First Class Tokyo to LAX

At around T-55, I'd had enough of the First Class Lounge and headed down to nearby Gate 61.

Tokyo Narita to LAX
Japan Airlines JL 62
777-300ER (77W)
5:25p-11:20a
April 13, 2017
Departed 5/8
Suite 2A

After a whole lot of scurrying around by JL staffers and a number of preboards, the First Class cabin was invited to board. A nice touch as 1L was reserved for First. At least initially as towards the end of the boarding process, a few dozen passengers used 1L and walked thru the First Class cabin on the way to Business or something less.

JAL's First Class cabin is very attractive 1-2-1 suite configuration, although the suites are open as there are no privacy doors.

The suites are very comfortable, spacious and well appointed.

2D was not occupied during the flight and with 2G raising his privacy divider, the lack of a door was not that big a deal tonight.

As I was settling in, our wonderful lead First Class flight attendant Ban came by with pre-departure champagne.

OK, now that's a warm welcome on board.

IFE was adequate with a reasonable level of movies.

And a nice and functional hand held controller.

The JAL First Class amenity kit.

A hodge podge of meh although the facial mist was nice.

Tonight's menu in an impressive leather binder.

But I still don't get the BEDD thing which apparently is supposed to "represent the comforts of the full flat beds and also to stand for ‘Dine’, ‘Delicious’ and ‘Dreams’".
Then wouldn't it be BDDD? But I digress.

And a very nice wine list.

Once in the air, our crew was quick to begin service.

Starting with a lovely amuse bouche trio.

And more pupus, nuts and a dried prawn. Much to the amusement of the crew, I tried a single dried prawn.

OK, maybe "tried" is not quite accurate. How about smelled and put my tongue of it. Yikes, pass!

Showtime, JAL style!

Another amuse bouche, the Scottish Smoked Salmon Gravlax. Delicious.

For my starter, I chose the French Veal Vitello Tonnato. OMG, this was sensational with the most perfect little gem lettuce.

My Beef Filet with Green Asparagus and Egg Yolk Soy Sauce.

This was positively divine.

With the most perfect asparagus on the ground or in the air.

I know zero, zip, nada about tea but at $50 a bottle, I was willing to try. Very nice.

The "Kotoka" Strawberry & Rhubarb in Springlike Vacherin Style was light and lovely.

JAL offers free Wifi for First Class passengers, using a one time access. Speed was reasonable and I was able to check emails and do a little work. And after a movie, bedtime.

About 2 hours from LAX, I ordered the Grilled Chicken Sandwich "Yuzu" Chili Flavor. It was just OK.

Almost home.

Fortunately, I'm driving south.

We landed about 30 minutes early after a short 8:40 flight.

With no line at the Global Entry kiosks, I was out in no time, in my car and south on the 405 to Orange County.

My all too short JAL flight was most enjoyable. Once on board and in the air, the JAL First Class product is excellent and food and wine as good as any airline in the world. But everything on the ground up to that point is pretty basic, disappointing and not very First Class. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to my return flight in July and round 2.

For more pics and an HD version of this report please visit SFO777.com

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 27, 2017 at 5:39 pm
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iaflyer
Very nice report so far. I liked the pictures from Gyeongbokgung, I had been there a number of years ago but not during the spring. I was just in Nagoya last week, the cherry blossoms were past the peak - just missed it. Your pictures of Incheon airport make US airports (all of them) look, well, third world!
Thank you iaflyer.

Originally Posted by TheFlyingMustache
Awesome trip report! Always love doing a "wine tasting" in F as it involves full glasses of each selection. Life's too short for 2 oz glasses.
Thanks TheFlyingMustache. I'm with you on the full glass wine tasting thing.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
Originally Posted by SFO777
Just around the corner from the Quarantine Counter is the First Class Lounge. Lovely entrance...

Once on board and in the air, the JAL First Class product is excellent and food and wine as good as any airline in the world. But everything on the ground up to that point is pretty basic, disappointing and not very First Class.
Love reading this one - thanks for posting it up. And continued safe travels!

Question: Have you been thru the JAL Haneda F lounge; and if so, what are your thoughts on that location? I ask because it's one of my favorites (although it too is nothing super-exceptional) with it's made-to-order chef station, champagne and chocolate room, John Lobb shoe room, etc.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by SFO777

My all too short JAL flight was most enjoyable. Once on board and in the air, the JAL First Class product is excellent and food and wine as good as any airline in the world. But everything on the ground up to that point is pretty basic, disappointing and not very First Class. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to my return flight in July and round 2.
Opportunity presented itself with AA schedule change, I switched to the non-stop NRT-JFK on JL instead of NRT-LAX(JL) and then LAX-JFK(AA) to get some more time in JL F. Depending when in July is your return, my return from another exICN is during the 4th of July week.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Another fabulous trip report SFO777, thank you!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks again for another good TR.

Where is your next adventure in the sky going to be to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.