Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Southeast Asia Cruise - CX J JL J

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

A Southeast Asia Cruise - CX J JL J

This is my first trip report on Flyertalk so it might be a little rough around the edges. While a bit late in coming, I went on a cruise in Southeast Asia. I plan to copy the full posts from my blog, but to see more photos, I'll include the link to the blog. http://techietravels.com

Introduction – Southeast Asia Cruise

I have been wanting to visit Asia for quite some time. After my parents returned from their trip and raved about it, I knew we had to go. We decided on a cruise because it took some of the headache of planning away and we just really like cruising. In addition, Samantha was very concerned about the food situation and knowing that a dinner on the cruise ship was always available in the evenings assuaged some concerns. While we definitely did not get a completely unique, local experience, we chose a couple tours that gave us better insight into local culture.

Our flights were out of O’Hare International Airport (ORD) in Chicago. I wanted to lock down the flights when availability on the international segments became available. There wasn’t any availability from our home airport to Chicago. I didn’t want to miss out on the international segments, so we decided to tough out the drive up to Chicago. We flew Cathay Pacific business class to Singapore and JAL business class home.

Our air routing was as follows.

We spent two days in Singapore in the Grand Hyatt Singapore. I chose to pay out of pocket for the hotel because I had suite upgrades that were expiring, and I had read good things about the lounge. We then boarded the Diamond Princess for an 11 day cruise. We had a balcony cabin on the Baja deck towards the front of the ship. Our booked itinerary for the cruise was:

Singapore, Singapore
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Phu My, Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City)
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
Laem Chabong, Thailand (Bangkok)
Ko Samui, Thailand
Singapore, Singapore

Unfortunately, the weather didn’t cooperate the entire trip and we missed the ports of Nha Trang, Vietnam and Sihnoukville, Cambodia. Here was the cruise itinerary we actually sailed.

Planning for this trip began about a year before with the booking of the cruise and airfare. Further information about cost and points used can be found on the blog (the table doesn't play nice here).

I was able to book the first flight at the pre-devaluation rate of 55,000 miles to Asia 2 region, but the return was at the new level of 70,000. I had been planning to use United or ANA miles to fly home. Then I saw availability on the JAL flight. JAL has Sky Suite business class which had great reviews, and I wanted to give that a try. So I transferred some SPG miles and booked us on JAL.

I will detail our travel and day by day activities in upcoming posts.

For more pictures and details, see full post on blog.
Introduction - Southeast Asia Cruise
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bgh10788
Unfortunately, the weather didn’t cooperate the entire trip and we missed the ports of Nha Trang, Vietnam and Sihnoukville, Cambodia.
Sad, but looking forward for the rest
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:57 pm

Keep it up!

Enjoyed the report.. Keep it up. ^^
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Pity about the weather, but we do not see too many cruise TR's so am looking forward to this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.