Wiki Posts
Search

Turn down for baht! United Polaris + Thai F for Songkran

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Turn down for baht! United Polaris + Thai F for Songkran

I've made a beeline and have left Thailand the last 2 years just before Songkran. I figured I should finally come back for it and the dates worked to find UA R space to GPU my TPACs and do a mix award/$ for TG F.

I'll post a lot more on Snapchat if you want to follow: JV_Photo

The details to follow starting tomorrow morning.

-United Polaris 787 SFO-HND
-Royal Park The Haneda + Tokyo
- ANA Suite Lounge HND + Thai F 747 HND-BKK
-St. Regis Bangkok
-Thai J A330 BKK-CNX
-Le Meridien Chiang Mai - Songkran
-Thai J/F CNX-BKK-HKG
-Marriott Sky City HKG
-United Polaris 777-300 HKG-SFO

Last edited by JVPhoto; Apr 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

United Polaris First Lounge SFO + Polaris Business 789 SFO-HND

A lackluster Hertz President's Circle experience for my one way rental MRY to SFO. Got a Ford Escape with 34,000mi on it that smelled like onions. But for $50 I shouldn't complain too much.

I was going to find some "real" food to grab for breakfast before I went to the United Club. Luckily I didn't because when I walked in the agent asked if I was traveling alone and gave me a pass for the Polaris/Global First lounge.

I was the 2nd person in there....after 1.5 hours it seemed that it filled up with other people on passes.

The times I've been there before I've usually found a 747 for LX plane sitting out front that you can stare up the nose.

I left the lounge 3min before boarding time and it was at G91 so just across and down one. When I got there they were mostly through group 1.

I noticed they didn't use the champagne flute. Apparently some people say it's so hard to use...but maybe they're just special.

We pushed back at 10:23 for our 10:30 flight. We sat off the gate until 10:55 when captain came on and said a sensor something for the electrical systems wasn't working. It's a 10 min fix but we need a gate for maintenance to come on. Two "8-10 min" announcements and nearly an hour later we got into a gate. They came on, we got fuel and paper work and left at 12:30. Ended up making some time in the air landing only about 1h5m late.

This time the wine tasting flight was done right. Before the FA wanted to pour and wait while I had a sip from each. I felt like I was in a fish bowl doing that. The FA was also the purser this time around and she poured them in order that she stored them and from "light to dark". A barely drinkable CdR, a horrible thing from Macedonia and a drinkable Cab.

It seems wifi for full fight has doubled.

I ordered the JPN option for my meal. The FA asked for a second choice which she should have done as a formality but a GS/1K should get their first choice. During the delay she did come and ask me and other GS/1K for our breakfast order to secure our choice.
My 2nd choice for lunch was the charsu duck.

Relaxing after the delay and no serious issues with a Buffalo Trace...not bad! First time I've had it thought I think the name is horrible and makes me think of big piles of dung dotting the prairie.

They've done this on flights before. Then I was a lush and didn't mind so I could serve myself. Now where on a long flight I may have 1 drink + 1 wine or 2 wines I find it crass. Note after I took the photo it became symmetrical and they set up all the stuff on my side as well.

The app was weird but I love pickled onions. Salad was okay, kale was fresh.

I realized at that time I wasn't getting the JPN meal. The two non-status Japanese pax on each side of me did however.

I was buzzed...starving from the delay because I didn't bring snacks. It wasn't until I finished the dish that I realized it was the beef and not duck. Probably a mistake on the serving or what she heard me say.

The caramel/chocolate/pretzel bites are soooooo good!

First time on UA I've got a pot of tea like on NH/LH/TG F.

If a meal could have ADD it would be this tray. Katsu, yogurt, croissant. It still boggles my mind that UA wants to mostly serve breakfast choices on a flight that leaves 10:30am local, arrives at 2pm local.

Felt good that we weren't coming from NYC on a Polar route through Russia when you see during wifi access that we sent 50 missiles to their bff.

A nice landing at HND getting to see Sky Tree off in the background.
A long walk all the way up and around the entire airport to get to the arrivals hall. It's amazing how one accidentally fallen down section of nylon rope making up the lines can throw everyone into a tizzy.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:15 pm

Great report so far! SFO is great for 747 spotting Was there any indication of how the lounge agents were selecting passengers to send to the GF lounge?

I also love the routing and would love to try it myself someday.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Great report so far! SFO is great for 747 spotting Was there any indication of how the lounge agents were selecting passengers to send to the GF lounge?

I also love the routing and would love to try it myself someday.
The solo 1K ahead of me got one. I was solo. There was a mom dad and 2 kids in the lounge who were on my flight.
It was like 7:55am the PFL lounge opens at 8 so they probably were just doling that morning's allotment out.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
much excitement - another journey by JV to read and enjoy
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Royal Park THE Haneda + Tokyo

I could have booked a shorter connection and left TYO the day I landed but I wasn't in a rush and figured I would pop into town to eat and do a little shopping. Luckily this was an IN/OUT of HND and not NRT-HND if not I probably would have booked the Tokyo Station Hotel.
Cost friendly, easy to access and nice and comfortable was the Royal Park in the INTL terminal.

I booked a double bed on the Premium floor which meant breakfast, an extra coupon, top floor with some views of the aprons & PJs. No lounge or any of that stuff.

Plenty of electronics packed into the room. Not even sure what this first one was.

Originally I thought I was just shop and meet up with a Japense friend for some tonokatsu. But, I found out a friend from NY who has moved to Shanghai was also in town with his boyfriend and sister so it was an extra bonus.

It was quick and easy to get out to the monorail to then transfer to Ginza so I could go to Dover Street Market and have a coffee/green tea brownie and maybe do some shopping.

I made my way to Shibuya to kill an hour before I met them at the Hachiko dog statue to then go to dinner. I wanted to find my friend some wooden sandals but didn't come across any (I did at the airport and had to wait in a 25min long line at the shop).

Sure it's a chain but it's easy to coordinate and meet at, plus it's not that bad. But, we all had dinner at Maisen.

The sister wanted to go to JBS (Jazz, Blues, Soul) Bar in Shibuya. After my friend Kazuki asked 3 people in the area where it was we finally found it. I didn't take any photos because the owner seemed very ornery, it was a small bar with walls totally covered with 1000s of records. It was also full of Americans/Brits. We just downed a beer or whiskey and then took off. The sake + whiskey and being tired meant I wanted to get back and into bed.

A quiet monorail ride back to HND.

Breakfast is at Tradewinds at the hotel...it's also open to customers from the airport. It's a nice quiet corner on the departure level. Typical JPN + Chinese + Western hotel breakfast.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

ANA Suite Lounge HND + Thai 747 Royal First HND-BKK

Felt antsy in the hotel room after breakfast and since it would only take me 4 minutes to walk to the counter I left a little before 8am because I know there would probably be some exit immigration line and I wanted to buy a few souvenirs that I didn't find in town.

I confused flying out of HND and KIX. When I flew out of KIX the check-in agent walked me to the crew/employee line to bypass everyone. HND has the GoldTrack and there was no one in line. 3 counters long lines at immigration with 2 more counters opening after waiting about 3-4min so turned out to be pretty fast.

I didn't realize both lounges at HND had a Suite lounge and luckily we were leaving from Gate 141 so the lounge across from 146 was convenient.

Only person in there for 5 minutes. As typical with the lounges someone will walk you to the seat and take a drink order but that's the only waiting on you they do aside from picking up dirty dishes.

Enjoyed some Hibiki at 8:30am

The line at the Made in Japan shop when I went by the first time was loooooong. I left about 30 min before boarding hoping it would go down. Ended up being just as long and took about 25min to get through the line. 5 min walk to the gate and just had to wait about 2 min to board.

A nice new bold color!

The brand innards changed from L'Occitane but I really don't care. The only products I actually like at NH F The Ginza brand.

It was just myself and another pax in F. The purser came to greet us and the FA working our cabin said we could have the food at anytime we wanted. I had breakfast at 6:45, snacks in the lounge so I told her at 12:30 (10:30 was departure) would be good.

We taxied and taxied and taxied for nearly 30min to Runway 05.

Apps

"Extra" surprise dish of som tum and chicken skewer.

A little bland lobster/fruit salad.

The soup was molten hot and took a good 10min to become edible.

Good kick of spice and flavor in the curry.

Good boy with just fruit, no cheese and no ice cream.

I was in row 2 and ol' Paunchy was in row 1. I was waiting at row 3 for them to open the door. Apparently that wasn't good enough for Paunchy. He felt the need to push by me to get this much closer to the front. He then ended up standing in the jetway with the F ground staff waiting for his assistant who was in J/Y. Also when he was in the lounge I had to glare at him 2x because he felt the need to watch some things blasting on his phone with no headphones.

He must have been transferring because they had 2 carts. I was about to say that I refuse to wait for his assistant who was not an F pax if it turned out he was going to immigration with me.

I excused the F ground staff and the gold vest porter as I only had 1 bag and no small baht for the hand outs.

I was tempted to take a taxi but it it looked like it would be 1h-1:15m to get to St. Regis. I opted for the train which start to finish only took me 50m. No shame in flying F and riding P...ublic.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR and pictures, as always!
When you stayed at the airport hotel in HND, and you leave hotel to go into Tokyo, do you have to clear immigration and then enter airport security to return to the hotel? I've always wondered how it works with airport security when staying at an airport hotel.
Were the wooden sandals for someone in Thailand or for your nyc friend who moved to Shanghai? Did you post them from Thailand? I can't imagine them fitting into your bag.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Great TR and pictures, as always!
When you stayed at the airport hotel in HND, and you leave hotel to go into Tokyo, do you have to clear immigration and then enter airport security to return to the hotel? I've always wondered how it works with airport security when staying at an airport hotel.
Were the wooden sandals for someone in Thailand or for your nyc friend who moved to Shanghai? Did you post them from Thailand? I can't imagine them fitting into your bag.
It's in the public area of the the airport so when you land you have to enter Japan to access it and then once you're there it's like any other hotel.

It's just a pair of wooden "geisha" flip flops for a friend in California. I'm a size 12-13 and these are a 8.5 so they're smaller than all my other shoes...just less malleable.
I've posted a box once from Thailand to California. It was after a long stay and I was going to Australia after so I didn't want to buy an extra bag and lug it around and fees on Qantas and Virgin infra-Aus. It was actually super quick and easy I want to say it took about 5 days. Only bad thing was you can't ship anything edible which included the tea/matcha I had picked up in Japan on my way to Thailand.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Thank you for sharing!! Always enjoy your TR's.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 2MM
JVPhoto - I enjoyed reading your trip report. I'm currently in the UC SFO awaiting UA875 SFO-HND. I decided to try my luck and approached the International UC at 8 am hoping for an "upgrade" to the F lounge. I'm travelling in business, R class. However I was turned down. Perhaps you have to have a paid C tix to get a F lounge invite? So I'm "suffering" with the sparkling wine instead of the champagne!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 2MM
A minor point (but we love to discuss these issues on FT ) - did you perchance take a photo of the wine list on TG F HND-BKK? Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
JVPhoto - I enjoyed reading your trip report. I'm currently in the UC SFO awaiting UA875 SFO-HND. I decided to try my luck and approached the International UC at 8 am hoping for an "upgrade" to the F lounge. I'm travelling in business, R class. However I was turned down. Perhaps you have to have a paid C tix to get a F lounge invite? So I'm "suffering" with the sparkling wine instead of the champagne!
I'm was on a Y to J GPU'd ticket. She asked and gave me the card so quickly I think all she would have been able to see was the 1K on my ticket. So I don't think there's a rhym or reason.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
A minor point (but we love to discuss these issues on FT ) - did you perchance take a photo of the wine list on TG F HND-BKK? Thanks.
I didn't I'm sorry. I had two flutes of DP at boarding and stuck to tea and my absolute favorite the canned Perrier.
Plus I've been on UA recently so I was conditioned to not expect a wine list.
I'll be sure to on BKK-HKG.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:21 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
ohhh I love that rimowa color, usually get silver or white, nice to see something bright
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
ohhh I love that rimowa color, usually get silver or white, nice to see something bright
I will admit I also did a little inside happy dance when I saw it. Mine are also all dark shades of blue, grey and even brown (yuck!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.