5 year anniversary trip - NZ, OZ, SIN, DPS, TYO on F/J/Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 year anniversary trip - NZ, OZ, SIN, DPS, TYO on F/J/Y

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Great trip report; fun way for me to spend the weekend and plan my winter trip with the wife for our 15th anniversary. I have done SQ First 4 times, and the 3 times I have Book the Cooked the lobster, it has been awful. I just understand how people like the cheesy rich dish which completely drowns out the lobster taste. My favorite SQ dish is the Laksa
Old May 1, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Great stuff, very interesting ^
Old May 1, 2017, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Great report.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
injian, thanks for the report.

I was never a fan of Johnny Walker Blue.

We're SIN bound in the fall, so your notes are helpful, I never thought to go to Lau Pa Sat for breakfast. I've only been there at midnight with Flyertalkers for chili crabs.

We're flying coach (holds head in shame) on SIN using LH miles SIN/DPS. Do you recall how long check in lines are?

Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by injian

We were helped immediately as we approached the check-in desk. Since both of us are SPG Gold members, we were given points as a benefit but we could not add either of our SPG accounts to the booking because we booked through a 3rd party. Stupidest thing I ever heard as other hotels on this trip were booked through 3rd parties and the front staff were immediately able to add our membership
No mostly stupidity on your part. Booking through 3rd parties with most hotel brands do not honor status. That why you book through their websites.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by peterk814
No mostly stupidity on your part. Booking through 3rd parties with most hotel brands do not honor status. That why you book through their websites.
I've booked through 3rd party sites for other hotels including SPG and have had status/points honored. The Novotels and Shangri La in this TR all honored status and were all booked through 3rd parties.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Great great adventure.. I love how you surprise her with F... she will soon become so accustomed to it that it won't be a surprise....

What sort of explanation did Amankila give for their failure to properly pick you up? and was there any service recovery? I loved meeting the chef and our beach bbq there; shame the weather didn't cooperate but looks like the back up plan was great as well...

Congrats on 5! We are encroaching on 11 (with three kids) so I know that time away is very important!

FDW
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:12 pm

Please avoid personal insults, challenge the idea — not the person.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#gettingpersonal

DanielW
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks for the TR and congratulations on your anniversary.

Honestly, Lau Pa Sat is a tourist trap. You may wish to try Old Airport Road next time instead - it's just beside Dakota MRT (yellow line)
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: A Advantage
Hi,
How many days was the entire trip, going to Sydney, Tasmania (Hobart), Melbourne, Baroosa Valley, Cairns, Ayers Rock, Christchurch, Queenstown NZ, Rotoura NZ, Napier NZ and finally Auckland NZ and home to NY Feb/Mar 2018 for 36 days? Clothes advice in regard to travelling so many places and luggage? Your trip details are amazing thank you for any information you can supply. Michelle
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
It looks like you're constantly on the go.

Excellent TR sir. Now, for some reason, I'm feeling hungry.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Great great adventure.. I love how you surprise her with F... she will soon become so accustomed to it that it won't be a surprise....

What sort of explanation did Amankila give for their failure to properly pick you up? and was there any service recovery? I loved meeting the chef and our beach bbq there; shame the weather didn't cooperate but looks like the back up plan was great as well...

Congrats on 5! We are encroaching on 11 (with three kids) so I know that time away is very important!

Thanks FlyingDoctorwu. The Amankila rep showed his sheet and said that I did not request airport transfers. I showed them an email between myself and my TA with proof of airport transfer request. Once they saw this, they recovered pretty quickly with alot of apologizing and assurances that they would take care of it without us having to worry about it. Sure enough, everything was taken care of.

FDW
Originally Posted by cowism
Thanks for the TR and congratulations on your anniversary.

Honestly, Lau Pa Sat is a tourist trap. You may wish to try Old Airport Road next time instead - it's just beside Dakota MRT (yellow line)
Thanks for the advice cowism. Yes, that is already on my list for the 6 year anniversary trip.

Originally Posted by MWunderlich
Hi,
How many days was the entire trip, going to Sydney, Tasmania (Hobart), Melbourne, Baroosa Valley, Cairns, Ayers Rock, Christchurch, Queenstown NZ, Rotoura NZ, Napier NZ and finally Auckland NZ and home to NY Feb/Mar 2018 for 36 days? Clothes advice in regard to travelling so many places and luggage? Your trip details are amazing thank you for any information you can supply. Michelle
Hey MWunderlich, the total trip was 22 days (3 weeks approx). I have colleagues who are doing similar Australia (east coast) + NZ within a 3 week period.

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Excellent TR sir. Now, for some reason, I'm feeling hungry.
Thank you Bear4Asian. I have been posting some of the pics from the trip on my Instagram and looking at the Singapore food pics makes me hungry too!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great report! And so much food. Now I'm wondering what to eat for dinner...

In Queenstown, why did you not check in for your AKL-MEL flight as well? It definitely makes the connection to the international terminal a bit less stressful! Or were you on separate tickets? Also, your biz class flight out of AKL means you would have been able to use the lounge at Queenstown, even without *A status. Though you didn't miss all that much
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MWunderlich
Hi, Clothes advice in regard to travelling so many places and luggage? Your trip details are amazing thank you for any information you can supply. Michelle
We were away for 30 night (plus travelling) last year to New Zealand and Australia. We each took 5 days worth of clothes and did a wash every every week, sometimes twice depending on the accommodation especially if we knew there was no facilities at the next destination. Most places do give you free laundry detergent but i took my own (liquitabs) so that I knew what I was washing our clothes in.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Great report! And so much food. Now I'm wondering what to eat for dinner...

In Queenstown, why did you not check in for your AKL-MEL flight as well? It definitely makes the connection to the international terminal a bit less stressful! Or were you on separate tickets? Also, your biz class flight out of AKL means you would have been able to use the lounge at Queenstown, even without *A status. Though you didn't miss all that much
We had separate tickets for each leg. I only saw automated check-in/self tag machines at ZQN. I did not realize there was a lounge at the airport. Really didnt matter since we only had to kill one hour waiting around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.