Wiki Posts
Search

Two Weeks in South Africa and Namibia: Joburg, Cape Town, Sossusvlei and Kruger

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This reinforces my desire to go back to South Africa! I was there about 18 months ago for like 4 days The crazy things you'll do when a mistake fare is <$400 and have no vacation time left!

If I go back I'm definitely flying business class and going for at least a week.

The pictures are amazing!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
justatourist

You mentioned prices and daunting, so thought I would post to definitely not do what I did for our trip to Africa in 2016.

We travel all over the world and I had never, ever used a travel agency. For some reason I was intimidated when it came to Africa, and I allowed an agency to plan and book the trip. The cost was extremely high, and the flights, and flight times and sequence were not what I would have booked. The lodge was lovely, but obscenely expensive. It was completely my fault because I found it daunting to even begin, and so I didn't.

We have Africa planned again in 2019. This time I will use my head and do it right. And based on Chief's photography we will most definitely include Namibia and the dunes.

Thanks again ChiefNWA, I will look at these photos over and over.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Great report, and some stunning photos! I've been to Southern Africa a few times now, and just can't get enough of it. Having read your report, i'm currently looking at flights again! Last Easter I was in Mozambique, Swaziland and arpound Durban, which was great. The safaris in Swaziland were really cheap, although it looked like Kruger had a bigger range of stuff.
I did one of those overland truck things from Windhoek to Cape Town - that was very nice, although we were camping. That did mean we were in Sossusvlei for sunrise and sunset. We were there in July, and boy does it get cold in the desert at night! Below freezing often. Brrrr. We certainly didn't need aircon! Lovely clear warm days though.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the report. I love your photography. Great idea about renting the lens. This report brings back memories from my 2013 trip to Johannesburg and Pilanesberg game reserve. I really need to get back to Africa. Nambia will be on the list.

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Amazing ChiefNWA! Thank you.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Amazing trip. Amazing pictures. It's like I'm there.
Is it easy to drive in SA? Also, you mentioned your front bumper was completely scratched. How did the rental place take it?
I had no issues driving at all. Actually, I found it better than here in Florida! They do a thing called "yellow line driving" so on two lane roads, slow vehicles ride the line separating the line and shoulder, allowing you to pass.

It was the front left wheel I scratched up. I was parallel parking and I guess I wasn't used to having that much car on the left side. The attendants clearly looked at it (as I was pretending to fiddle with stuff in the backseat) but they didn't say anything nor have any charges shown up, at least not yet. Even if they do charge for it, I got the premium rental insurance through Amex for this trip, so it's covered.

Originally Posted by financialhippie
I've decided I've got to get there in the next three years! I was previously thinking Kenya/Tanzania, but I may have to swap that for South Africa/Namibia!
Fantastic! I initially though Tanzania/Kenya was best for a safari but the driving distances and prices were much greater when compared to Kruger.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Very interesting report. I went to South Africa and Namibia last year and clearly there's more to see and do.

Just wanted to comment on the water/drought situation. I was told when I was in Windhoek that the situation there was getting really bad last year since the drought had been going on for a while. If it rained when you were there it may have been for the better even if it hurt your visit.
Yes, it's bad. My Airbnbs had water usage warning signs up. Apparently the reservoirs are at all time lows.

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
As I kept scrolling, the pictures went from amazing to astounding. The picture of the silhouette of the leopard in the tree was probably my favorite. Along with the dune pic, and the table mountain pic, and the lion pic, and the sunset pics. It just kept getting more amazing. Enjoyed the Soweto pics and the Apartheid Museum shots as well. Thank you for sharing this.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by justatourist
Thank you for the break down. I am a bit surprised because the budgets I was receiving were all really (really) high making a visit to that part of Africa almost impossible for me. But with those values I'm now entertaining the ideia of going way sooner than expected!
To be fair, I travel rather cheaply, I don't stop and buy a lot of things and I spend a lot of time walking around vs doing activities, but that doesn't (and didn't) make the trip any less fun.

South Africa can be done very cheaply if you camp or stay in budget hostels, etc and rent a manual car. I 'splurged' with an automatic and stayed in what I'd classify as mid range for the most part.

Also, I forgot to add in the game drives/park fees. It was around $20/day for entrance to Kruger plus each drive (through Skukuza) was $20, so $40/day. Each camp/reserve have their own prices for the drives so that can vary. Of course, if you've done game drives before and self drive, you can save some money. I wouldn't recommend it personally, and even after this trip, I'd still use a game drive to see the animals.

Last edited by ChiefNWA; Mar 31, 2017 at 7:22 am
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This reinforces my desire to go back to South Africa! I was there about 18 months ago for like 4 days The crazy things you'll do when a mistake fare is <$400 and have no vacation time left!

If I go back I'm definitely flying business class and going for at least a week.

The pictures are amazing!
4 days is certainly not enough. Honestly, two weeks was pushing it. I wish I would've had an extra 2 days in Kruger and Namibia each. The perfect trip would've been to add another week to the trip and hit Lesotho/Drakensbergs/day in Durban then a few days at Victoria Falls.

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
You mentioned prices and daunting, so thought I would post to definitely not do what I did for our trip to Africa in 2016.

We travel all over the world and I had never, ever used a travel agency. For some reason I was intimidated when it came to Africa, and I allowed an agency to plan and book the trip. The cost was extremely high, and the flights, and flight times and sequence were not what I would have booked. The lodge was lovely, but obscenely expensive. It was completely my fault because I found it daunting to even begin, and so I didn't.

We have Africa planned again in 2019. This time I will use my head and do it right. And based on Chief's photography we will most definitely include Namibia and the dunes.

Thanks again ChiefNWA, I will look at these photos over and over.
I've only ever used a travel agency once and that was down to Peru in 2012, which was my first major trip outside of the US aside from visiting family in China. Never again.

Planning the trips is half the fun. Having the ability to visit what you want, when you want and for however long you want is priceless IMO, regardless of how much time/effort it takes to research.

Originally Posted by shefgab
Great report, and some stunning photos! I've been to Southern Africa a few times now, and just can't get enough of it. Having read your report, i'm currently looking at flights again! Last Easter I was in Mozambique, Swaziland and arpound Durban, which was great. The safaris in Swaziland were really cheap, although it looked like Kruger had a bigger range of stuff.
I did one of those overland truck things from Windhoek to Cape Town - that was very nice, although we were camping. That did mean we were in Sossusvlei for sunrise and sunset. We were there in July, and boy does it get cold in the desert at night! Below freezing often. Brrrr. We certainly didn't need aircon! Lovely clear warm days though.
I'm interested in hearing what you thought about Mozambique and what you did? Can you message me what you thought, I might add it to a future trip to southern Africa.

We were only getting down to the mid/low 60s when I was in Namibia but they just entered fall to be fair. I'm sure plenty of people come out during the winter unprepared for the overnight temperatures.

Originally Posted by catmndu
Thanks for the report. I love your photography. Great idea about renting the lens. This report brings back memories from my 2013 trip to Johannesburg and Pilanesberg game reserve. I really need to get back to Africa. Nambia will be on the list.

Thanks
Yes, renting was certainly the way to go. The 100-400mm mk II was fantastic but it's not a lens I would ever have a use for in my collection. My only complaint was the minor focusing issues I was getting shooting on my crop sensor 60D.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Fantastic! I initially though Tanzania/Kenya was best for a safari but the driving distances and prices were much greater when compared to Kruger.
Very good to know, thanks for all this info!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:51 pm

Very Enjoyable Trip Report

Fantastic itinerary, photos, and write up. Namibia is truly out of this world stunning.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
4 days is certainly not enough. Honestly, two weeks was pushing it. I wish I would've had an extra 2 days in Kruger and Namibia each. The perfect trip would've been to add another week to the trip and hit Lesotho/Drakensbergs/day in Durban then a few days at Victoria Falls
Yeah. Unfortunately I live in American corporate world, and as such I am relatively fortunate to have ~24 days PTO this year. I'm taking 2 weeks off next month, so they can see what life is without me...
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Thanks for the great TR, ChiefNWA! You did great justice to our country and so glad you enjoyed it here!

Originally Posted by roadwarrier

This is known as a Klipspringer [Oreotragus oreotragus] The name Klipspringer is the Afrikaans for 'rock jumper' and alludes to the animal's ability in rocky territory where it can be seen moving freely, seemingly on tiptoe.
I thought it was a duiker, roadwarrier. They look so similar but I know the klipspringer has those awesome high hooves for rock jumping.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Thanks for the great TR, ChiefNWA! You did great justice to our country and so glad you enjoyed it here!

I thought it was a duiker, roadwarrier. They look so similar but I know the klipspringer has those awesome high hooves for rock jumping.
I know, it is confusing. I compared the two for some time - the facial markings and horns had me a bit baffled, but I settled on the klipspringer due to the hooves.
I may still be mistaken though, so please correct me if I am wrong.
And the many different sub species of duiker does not help either....

Anyway, I had a glass of wine and made an Executive Decision.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by financialhippie
Very good to know, thanks for all this info!
No problem!

Originally Posted by Stefan Sip
Fantastic itinerary, photos, and write up. Namibia is truly out of this world stunning.
Namibia is absolutely stunning, I agree!

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Yeah. Unfortunately I live in American corporate world, and as such I am relatively fortunate to have ~24 days PTO this year. I'm taking 2 weeks off next month, so they can see what life is without me...
As do I my friend, I actually get 17 PTO days (not counting fixed holidays) but I 'buy' an extra week, so really 23 days of vacation. I used 12 for this trip.

I don't have a significant other or children, etc so I have the freedom to use those days as I wish, which I understand most people do not.

I'm using another 5 days in May for either Morocco or Myanmar then another 5 days for a cruise in September.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:41 pm

what can I say. your photos are outrageously stunning! overall very enjoyable reading. it makes me want to get there myself.

thanks for sharing, ChiefNWA.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Loved reading your trip report and your photos were fantastic!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
Brilliant report ChiefNWA, brought back happy memories from my vacation in Cape Town and on safari in the Eastern Cape a couple of years ago.

Great photography, I've never considered renting a lens before, sounds like a great idea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.