Two Weeks in South Africa and Namibia: Joburg, Cape Town, Sossusvlei and Kruger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Weeks in South Africa and Namibia: Joburg, Cape Town, Sossusvlei and Kruger

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:28 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Amazing Namibia pics! Going there next month, likely doing Windhoek -> Sossusvlei -> Swakopmund -> Windhoek. But I've left things late (going to be there over a weekend) and the lodge inside the park is already full..
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:19 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow - that was a great report.

There's no question that Namibia driving is a sport best shared. I was happy to be apart of the "advice" column in making this happen.

There were some great photos in Namibia - I can easily say that MrsWT73 wouldn't have appreciated as many stops for photos!

Travel safe to Burma - you'll get another round of great photo opportunities there.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by blueferrari
what can I say. your photos are outrageously stunning! overall very enjoyable reading. it makes me want to get there myself.

thanks for sharing, ChiefNWA.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by nequine
Loved reading your trip report and your photos were fantastic!
Thanks so much.

Originally Posted by groobs
Brilliant report ChiefNWA, brought back happy memories from my vacation in Cape Town and on safari in the Eastern Cape a couple of years ago.

Great photography, I've never considered renting a lens before, sounds like a great idea!
Thank you. Yes, renting a lens was definitely the way to go. It's not a lens I'd use often so I wouldn't be able to justify the purchase. Plus renting lets you try out some lenses you may never be able to afford otherwise!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Amazing Namibia pics! Going there next month, likely doing Windhoek -> Sossusvlei -> Swakopmund -> Windhoek. But I've left things late (going to be there over a weekend) and the lodge inside the park is already full..
Sounds like an awesome trip! The drive from Sossusvlei to Swakopmund is supposed to be fun. If you take B2 all the way back to Windhoek, it should be all paved.

When I started planning my trip about two months out, the inside lodge was sold out and the campsite was nearly full. I emailed the lodge a few times before the trip to check for cancellations, with no avail as well.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Wow - that was a great report.

There's no question that Namibia driving is a sport best shared. I was happy to be apart of the "advice" column in making this happen.

There were some great photos in Namibia - I can easily say that MrsWT73 wouldn't have appreciated as many stops for photos!

Travel safe to Burma - you'll get another round of great photo opportunities there.
Thanks again for the help! Just getting into planning Burma now. I only have 9 days off from work, which really only gives me 6-7 in Asia, another day being a travel day to re-position for an Asia -> US flight, so maybe 5 days in Burma itself. I'm figuring at this point that I'll just do Yangon and Bagan. I don't think I'll have time for Inle Lake.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Solid photos as usual. Folks, this is a great dude to travel with btw, as you never feel obligated to take any pictures yourself, you just get his post-edit ones on Dropbox and show em off to your friends, LOL. They're so good they almost make all those annoying treks around Venice's bridges worth it for those sunset pictures last year.

Leopard in silhouette is amazing.

ney
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:07 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
What rate did you pay for Hertz 4WD? Not finding anything too cheap, or it has limited daily kms, or includes CDW (I have Chase Reserve)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hauteboy
What rate did you pay for Hertz 4WD? Not finding anything too cheap, or it has limited daily kms, or includes CDW (I have Chase Reserve)
Here's what I replied to your post on the Africa subforum, I know it's not a forum we all check daily so no worries if you didn't see it.

USAA includes the CDW. Discount codes aren't valid with Hertz Namibia, so whatever the price is, is what you pay. USAA also provides free unlimited kilometers, which apparently is normally limited. Just make sure you show them the printout if they bring it up.

You can sign up for USAA for free and use their website/code to book (to include kilometers and CDW), you don't need to open an account and you don't need military affiliation to have an online ID.

Personally, I would suggest opting for the super waiver and the tire/windscreen waiver when you rent. I had mine for 3 days and it was about $40 extra total for all 3. Namibia rentals charge quite a bit more for excess vs US. Even with the super waiver, they authorized over $2,500 USD on my card. That would've been significantly more had I not opted for the super.

Then again, I was alone so maybe I went a little overboard in terms of protection.

You're welcome to message me if you have any questions!
Anyways, I paid 3,800 NAD for the 3 days. Certainly not cheap, but in my case the other companies simply weren't willing to rent to me for only 3 days. The base rate (which included the CDW and unlimited miles) was 3,004 NAD so the rest was the tire/windscreen waiver and the super waiver.

I picked mine up at the Hilton Windhoek as it was cheaper to take a cab into the city and rent the next morning in order to save a day off the rental. They tried telling me I was limited to 150km/day but they made a photo copy of my rental printout which stated unlimited. Haven't heard back (going on a month now) so I assume we're all good in that regard.

My opinion (and this is coming from someone who typically travels with a super tight budget)... don't cheap out and get a sedan, go for the truck. The experience will be so much better with it plus you'll be able to trek the final 5km at Sossusvlei yourself instead of paying and waiting for one of the shuttles. 4km of that ride are easy and only about 1km is very soft sand, so don't stop. Switch it into 4L and keep your foot on the gas and you should be fine.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sky303
Solid photos as usual. Folks, this is a great dude to travel with btw, as you never feel obligated to take any pictures yourself, you just get his post-edit ones on Dropbox and show em off to your friends, LOL. They're so good they almost make all those annoying treks around Venice's bridges worth it for those sunset pictures last year.

Leopard in silhouette is amazing.

ney
Thanks but the limited usage bill for those photos is on the way.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Just to add to all the "thank you's"! Many thanks - just loved the TR - so interesting, never a boring second! Just wish I'd half of your photography skill. I'm starting to plan our trip to SA next March and you have given me lots of ideas.

Enjoy your future travels - it really is a wonderful world!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offtothehills
Just to add to all the "thank you's"! Many thanks - just loved the TR - so interesting, never a boring second! Just wish I'd half of your photography skill. I'm starting to plan our trip to SA next March and you have given me lots of ideas.

Enjoy your future travels - it really is a wonderful world!
Glad to have helped. Not sure I'll ever be able to beat this trip but for now it's one of the best two weeks I've ever had.

Enjoy your time in SA!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:15 pm

ChiefNWA, thanks for an outstanding TR and incredlible pictures! My wife and I leave for SA in the middle of Sept. We have forwarded your tr link to the other two couples who are traveling with us and are not Fter's.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Glad to have helped. Not sure I'll ever be able to beat this trip but for now it's one of the best two weeks I've ever had.

Enjoy your time in SA!

Thank you for that, I am sure that we will enjoy our holiday there.

Just wondering if you have been to my part of the world - the Scottish Highlands - it's a wonderful place for photographers!
Oh, and by the way, I gave my husband the link to your report - he was as impressed with it as I was, so thank you once again, on his behalf.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Great trip report ChiefNWA
"A picture is worth a thousand words" as they say! Well, your pictures took my breath away...
The blue sky in your pics is fantastic...
and the sand dunes in Namibia look like a different planet altogether
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Wow. Thank you for this, this is essentially my dream trip! Namibia has been at the top of my list for a while. My desktop background image is a rotating series of images of the Namib Desert from space, including the one below (my favorite). Something about the contrast of barren desert and ocean that fascinates me. I don't even remember how I even heard of Namibia for the first time, it might have been the Long Way Down documentary, but I've been obsessed with it ever since.

I've been chickening out despite a fairly cheap and convenient premium economy fare on VS to JNB from MIA through LHR that is still around. Partially because Joberg doesn't interest me at all, and partially because I'd be going on this one solo and that's a bit daunting since it'd be the first time I did Africa, or really anywhere outside of the typical major cities.

This really is my dream trip though, just driving through Namibia. Ideally do Sossuvlei, then Walvis Bay and up the skeleton coast. I'm a huge space/astronomy nerd so the idea of going from Broward County where I can barely see the brightest stars to somewhere that is just pitch black with billions of stars gets me excited. I did Saba in the Caribbean not long ago which was as pitch black as I've gotten yet.

Not sure I could spare two weeks but this really stoked the Namibia fires. I do most my traveling solo which has never been a problem but for some reason something like this just seems so tough.

This report was incredible though Chief. I'm bookmarking this just to go back and look at all the photos and remind me why I want to do it.
Take a look at what flights really happen. JNB is not the gateway to Africa.

If you want to go to Windhoek how about flying there direct, lots of airlines do from Europe
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zip10001
Great trip report ChiefNWA
"A picture is worth a thousand words" as they say! Well, your pictures took my breath away...
The blue sky in your pics is fantastic...
and the sand dunes in Namibia look like a different planet altogether
Thank you!

Originally Posted by offtothehills
Thank you for that, I am sure that we will enjoy our holiday there.

Just wondering if you have been to my part of the world - the Scottish Highlands - it's a wonderful place for photographers!
Oh, and by the way, I gave my husband the link to your report - he was as impressed with it as I was, so thank you once again, on his behalf.
I was in Scotland in the summer last year but only for two days. I had planned on driving up into the Highlands but the weather was pretty bad so I just stuck around Edinburgh. I definitely plan on returning as the Highlands have been on my list for a while!

Originally Posted by jmj9905
ChiefNWA, thanks for an outstanding TR and incredlible pictures! My wife and I leave for SA in the middle of Sept. We have forwarded your tr link to the other two couples who are traveling with us and are not Fter's.
Thanks for the kind words.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.