A long weekend in Tallinn with Finnair in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A long weekend in Tallinn with Finnair in J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, very nice report, stu1985. Your excellent pictures have tempted me to try Tallin at some stage [although NOT in the winter], especially as a short layover before embarking on an ex-EU l/h trip! You did however manage to include a critical bit of marketing material ... "There's also an outdoor terrace where you can catch a glimpse of planes either landing or taking off or where you can grab that last fag before boarding!"
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Thanks for this great TR stu1985.
I haven't been on here in months and it's a great read.
I will be doing the same trip in a few weeks, like others I wasn't sure I wanted to do it during the winter months..
I have been qualified as a 'Champagne snob' by a few friends (I'd rather say I know the ones I like and the ones I don't), so I have to say I'm rather disappointed by, if I recognised correctly the label, Nicholas Feuillate being served on AY. I remember that was the Champagne of choice on Eurostar and I just hated it!
Quick question for you: do you remember/can you advise what was served in the CX and AY lounges?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by onobond
Thanks for an enjoyable TR. Just like you, I'm amazed at the now renovated Tallin Old town architecture. It's a friendly and very wery welcoming city as well.

Thanks for sharing.^
Thanks very much onobond - glad you enjoyed reading it.

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Thanks for a very nice TR. Tallinn looks very nice and interesting. I am looking forward to be there in 8 weeks.
As for Finnair I find them enjoyable in J on short and long haul. Even economy is OK enough. HEL is a good transfer airport.
Thanks fransknorge for reading. I loved my first Finnair experience and I will definitely be flying with them again. In fact, I'd probably choose AY over BA on the Helsinki route.

Originally Posted by rhivolution
Excellent! Thanks for sharing. Particularly for the restaurant suggestions. I'm now looking forward even more to treating my OH on this little jaunt in June .
Glad you enjoyed reading rhivolution. Enjoy your trip when it comes. The weather in June should be nice for you.

Originally Posted by zumabeach
Thanks, great report and pics. Looking forward to doing this trip in late May.
Thanks zumabeach and I hope you enjoy Tallinn as much as I did when you get there.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, very nice report, stu1985. Your excellent pictures have tempted me to try Tallin at some stage [although NOT in the winter], especially as a short layover before embarking on an ex-EU l/h trip! You did however manage to include a critical bit of marketing material ... "There's also an outdoor terrace where you can catch a glimpse of planes either landing or taking off or where you can grab that last fag before boarding!"
Hahahaha Uncle T! I did wonder if you would read this because I knew that you would enjoy the outdoor terrace area for a sly one before boarding. I am sure the better half will also appreciate this.

Originally Posted by Docklandsguy
Thanks for this great TR stu1985.
I haven't been on here in months and it's a great read.
I will be doing the same trip in a few weeks, like others I wasn't sure I wanted to do it during the winter months..
I have been qualified as a 'Champagne snob' by a few friends (I'd rather say I know the ones I like and the ones I don't), so I have to say I'm rather disappointed by, if I recognised correctly the label, Nicholas Feuillate being served on AY. I remember that was the Champagne of choice on Eurostar and I just hated it!
Quick question for you: do you remember/can you advise what was served in the CX and AY lounges?
Thanks for reading Docklandsguy. I actually didn't mind the fizz that much. Not the best I've had but not the worst either. And it's better than the muck BA serves.

The CX Lounge had Moet when I was there, however, yesterday, I have it on good authority that they were serving Barons de Rothschild. I'm there again on Friday so will check. AY served the same stuff that they serve on board.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by stu1985
Hahahaha Uncle T! I did wonder if you would read this because I knew that you would enjoy the outdoor terrace area for a sly one before boarding. I am sure the better half will also appreciate this.
We surely will

Glad to have found the Pub at DUB T2 with the outside area
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Awesome report! Thank you for sharing. I now want to visit Tallinn as well.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
Another Awesome trip report Stu. I'm doing this trip 4 times myself this year as I mentioned to you on Instagram, so thanks for the heads up, appreciate such a detailed review. Looking forward to flying in J on the A350.

A bit of advice please buddy? What are the alcohol prices like in Tallin? Is beer and wine expensive?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Awesome report! Thank you for sharing. I now want to visit Tallinn as well.
Thanks Andriyko! I'll send my invoice to Tallinn tourism services

Originally Posted by Flyingboy200
Another Awesome trip report Stu. I'm doing this trip 4 times myself this year as I mentioned to you on Instagram, so thanks for the heads up, appreciate such a detailed review. Looking forward to flying in J on the A350.

A bit of advice please buddy? What are the alcohol prices like in Tallin? Is beer and wine expensive?
Hey Flyingboy200 - thanks for reading! The booze isn't too expensive. About 5 or 6 Euros a pint I found in most places.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Very enjoyable report, stu1985... ^
I really want to try Finnair's A350 now and Tallinn has been on my list for quite some time anyway.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Rather surprised to hear your case made it on the ABZ flight but I bet that was a relief to find it had made its way to Dyce.

Great trip report as usual from you. Have you found somewhere to buy those funky glasses from?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Very enjoyable report, stu1985... ^
I really want to try Finnair's A350 now and Tallinn has been on my list for quite some time anyway.
Many thanks JohnRain - enjoy your trip if you book one!

Originally Posted by nequine
Rather surprised to hear your case made it on the ABZ flight but I bet that was a relief to find it had made its way to Dyce.

Great trip report as usual from you. Have you found somewhere to buy those funky glasses from?
I was so lucky - I imagine they just threw it on the plane at the last minute - impressed! And no, I need to find somewhere to buy those glasses!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:09 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Ultima Thule collection by Iittala:
https://www.iittala.com/collections/...ma-thule/intro
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great report! It looks like Finnair offers a really nice Business Class product on short flights like these - the meals look good.

Nice views of Tallinn - What a beautiful city!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:24 am
SK

Wink Bis vivit qui bene vivit

Great pics and trip report. I visited Tallinn a couple of years ago just before Christmas, and it is a really pretty city - your pics brought it to life for me again!

When I flew TLL-HEL with a similar ATR-72 a couple of years ago, it was my first time ever that I had a self push back in a prop plane, using the reverse pitch of the propellers. (It used to be quite common with the DC-9s and MD-80s). Interesting experience!
Anyway, after a short wait for the last bags to be loaded, we pushed back, the props started whirring away and we took off for the short sub 20 min flight to Helsinki.
Great night pics of London!
We had to circle over London for a while before we landed at Heathrow but were rewarded with some great views of the city.
You are cute :-)
All washed down with some champagne in those amazing glasses which Finnair uses.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Docklands guy

I totally a champs snob but tried Nicholas Feuillate when it was delivered to our suite at the Le Grand Intercontinental in Paris as a welcome gift and again the next door to apologise for a shower that did not deliver hot water.

Very drinkable, my taste is Dom, Krug, Tattinger normally but very happy with NF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.