Hi,

VS 19
LHR-SFO
1st Jan 2004
Seat 1K (Upper Class)
Airbus A340-300
Sch dep 1100 Arr 1405
Actual dep 1110 Arr 1440

I arrived at Zone A of LHR around 730am. While there was a little bit of a queue at Economy check in I walked straight up to the UC checkin. While I was hoping for a 747-400 ( preferably with the new UC Suites) the aircraft was still the A340-300.
I was given the lounge invitation and I was on my way.
Fast Track security was very quick( walked straight up to the machines) and soon I was in the T3 departure lounge which with the addition of a glass roof appears more airy than in previous years when there as no natural light at all
After buying a book I headed to gate 12B for the Clubhouse . This has changed since my last visit as you now have to go round several corners to get to the stairs to the clubhouse and the now check your boarding pass/lounge access at the entrance to the gate 12b.
Soon I was in the peaceful serenity of the Clubhouse. I booked a massage for 10am then went to have breakfast. I had a variety of continental breakfast items including cereal, croissants and a smoothie together with a bacon baguette and a café latte.
I also took the opportunity to play a PS2 game ( Formula 1)
I had my shoes polished while on the internet and soon it was massage time ( back and shoulders). This was fantastic.
Soon after the massage had been completed and I had another drink, the boarding call came for our flight ( Gate 36).
From the Clubhouse it was a little bit of a hike to the Gate ( in the new gate complex).
I got selected for a random bag check at the gate but this did not take long and soon was on board the aircraft ( turning left towards my seat)
1K is just behind the forward toilet on the right hand side of the aircraft with 1DG having the bassinet in front of them and 1AC having the closet infront of them. There is another cupboard just to the left of the toilet.
I was welcomed with a glass of champagne or orange juice( I chose champagne) and then the bottles of water, and the menus were handed out.
The IFE on todays flight was Odyssey.
We pushed back around 10mins late and began our taxi to Rwy27L.
The UC cabin was around 70% full but there was no one in 1H ( adjacent to me which was a plus).
We started our take off roll about 1125. After a longer roll than on a 747-400 we were airborne and climbing ( slower than the jumbo, being the A340-300) and turning right towards the North and our route.
After take off our drinks orders were taken and the amenity kits were handed our. The beauty therapist came round. Carlos ( the UC magazine) was also handed out.

With our drinks we had the choice of nuts or mild spicy crispy things. I chose the things.

Our orders for lunch were then taken.
I had the soup with nicely warmed bread, Roast chicken with potatoes and carrots, dessert and coffee with a bailey’s with ice.
I chose the Spanish Red Rioja wine which was good.
As we waited for lunch I saw on the sky map that we were heading past Glasgow heading north. I also saw our speed ( just over 400mph/ 640kph ) and I though this is slow and it will take us ages to get to SFO.

After lunch I settled down and started to watch the movies – this included;
Sinbad
SWAT
Seabiscuit
Freaky Friday
Runaway Jury
In America
The Singing Detective

Inbound to the UK in Jan ,Odyssey has;
Out of Time
The Fighting Temptations
Open Range
The Shape of Things
Young Adam
Matchstick Men
Spy Kids 3
After a while we passed north of Iceland and headed towards the northern part of Greenland ( an unusual route for me as I have normally crossed the southern part of Greenland usually to the south of Gothab). As we did this we entered the Twilight Zone!! . The sky began to get dark as we travelled so far north that it was as if it was just after sunset. ( It was brighter from the A seats as you were facing south towards the sun that was just below the horizon) All the ground was completely covered in snow/ice. Our airspeed had increased substantially to around 580mph according to the sky map with landing forecast at 1440.

I wandered up to the bar and had a few diet cokes and spicy things while talking to some of the crew about the route, San Francisco, the new UCS and the A340-600 ( he did not enjoy the A340-600 ( being too long) and new routes including Sydney.
One of the cabin crew did mention that a decision on new aircraft to serve more leisure destinations from LGW has been made but I do not think that has been announced publicly so I will not mention the choice-apart from it is an interesting choice by VS).

After a while I retired to my seat and relaxed. On the J2000 seats I find the best position is to fully recline the seat then slightly elevate it again.

As the sky was getting lighter I was called for my inflight therapy treatment. The pod is just behind Row 5HK. I had the hand treatment including the hand wrap which was excellent.

As we flew south over British Columbia towards Vancouver and the US border the clouds disappeared and we could see all the mountains, valleys and lakes below as far as the eye could see and was all covered in snow and ice.

Afternoon tea via the trolley came around 90mins prior to arrival. There was sandwiches, apple turnovers and scones with cream and jam. As I was still full I just had the scones with coffee and diet coke.

After freshening up , the decent started with around 30mins to go and the headsets and menus were collected. We flew to the east of SFO ( cloudy skies) before turning towards runway 25L as we passed over the San Mateo bridge I saw an AA767 on approach towards 28R ahead of us and below us. It did not stay below us for long as our speed brakes went up and the rate of decent increased as we appeared to level with the AA flight and we landed around 240pm ( 35mins behind schedule after an 11 hour 18min flight).

After landing it took around 5-10mins to taxi to the Intl terminal ( Gate A8). I could see a KLM MD11 and the BA 747-400.
We were parked and soon left the aircraft headed towards the Immigration,. I was expecting huge queues but when we got to immigration there was no one there and all the immigration officers were in the US Citizen lanes so we were directed there.
A couple of minutes later we were in the baggage reclaim area and soon afterwards the belt started moving. My suitcase was amongst the first off and I was directed to the right hand side of the customs hall to head to connecting flights, With no questioning my customs I was soon outside in the passage way linking Intl terminal and T1. As T1 was just beside the International terminal and my next flight ( AS to YVR ) was from T1 I declined the air train and walked to T1 ( 2-3min walk).

I was soon checked in and rather than heading through security immediately ( this was around 305pm and my flight was at 551pm) I headed back to the Intl Terminal to the VS clubhouse ( before security) to see if I could freshen up.

I was invited in ( the clubhouse was closing at 4pm after all the LHR bound passengers had left) and directed to the showers which were lovely and invigorating.

After the showers I was handed nuts and biscuits together with my choice of drinks. I chose a café latte and several diet cokes. Clair came round and we talked for a while ( she is a real asset to the VS clubhouse). There was only2-3 other people in the clubhouse and shortly after the last one left at about 4pm, I left and started to walk to the Alaska Terminal.

VS20
SFO-LHR
6th Jan 2004
Dep 1645: Arr 1040+1
B747-400
G-VWOW ( Cosmic Girl)
Seat 3k Upper Deck

I arrived at the VS check in desks around 1250pm after the BART train from downtown SFO. The BART arrives at the SFO station which is adjacent to the G gates of the international terminal (United end) so you do not need to take the Airtrain round the terminals.
I was second in line at the UC desk ( economy line was smallish compared to previous times) and was soon checked in with my bags tagged to EDI.

After a quick walk round the terminal I headed up to the Clubhouse, checked in and got an invitation to the Revivals lounge and grabbed my seat by the window.
There are a number of choices for lunch but I chose the soup, and linguini pasta with chicken and mushrooms and coffee with Baileys. This was very filling so I skipped dessert.
I saw an AF A340, KLM MD11 and BA 747-400 taxi to their stands before the incoming VS aircraft G-VWOW arrived which I was delighted about as this has Vport ( AVOD).
After some time on the internet I relaxed for a while.
I left a few minutes before boarding to have a look at some of the shops after security.Using the priority pass given by the lounge staff we used a separate line and got to the front of the queue for security screening. Shortly after that I walked to the gate A8 and down the stairs to the boarding area. Soon after Preoboarding was called ( including for UC). There was a few TSA people at desks ( probably to conduct random searches) but I was not selected and boarded smoothy.Upper Class passengers use Door 1 L for boarding ( all others use the standard door 2L). Of course for the upper deck, you still have to walk through zone B( bar zone) to door 2 to go upstairs).
Through the PE Upper deck section was the UC section of 3 rows of 2-2 foramation. My travelling companion ( he was in 3H) was already there and not to put too fine a point on it, he was big, taking up most of the UC seat. When we had our drinks on the centre drink rest, his arms were close to knocking the glasses off so I used the side bin to hold the drink. I could also detect a faint smell of B.O. but I did not say a word. and it soon disappeared . We got talking and he was heading back to Northamptonshire while waiting for his US immigration papers to come through so that he could join his fiancé in the US.
Champagne was offered and the bottle of water, amenity kits and sleep suits were handed out. The Upper deck was practically full on this flight with only 2C free.

We pushed back a few minutes late at 1650 and taxied out towards runway 28L.
We climbed out over the coast before turning right. I had a wonderful view of the Golden Gate Bridge as we turned eastwards before it vanished from my line of sight and could view Downtown San Francisco at dusk as the lights were switched on.

Drinks were then served followed by dinner orders. I chose diet coke and thin chip shaped crisps ( multicoloured too). Duty free orders were taken and I handed in my preorder form and a few minutes later my order was delivered to my seat.

I overheard one of the FA mention to the couple in 2HK that there was no beauty therapist onboard as she was ill before the departure of the outbound flight to SFO a couple of days previously.

The vport system was then started. It is a little slow to start off ( due probably to 400+ people accessing it at the same time) but it speeded up soon.
This system is excellent with
50 movies ( start/pause /ffwd/rwnd)
50 CD jukebox
Radio channels
TV channels
Skymap
Games

I chose The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with Sir Sean Connery

For dinner I chose the
Thai Chicken
Beef fillet with potatoes
Chocolate Brioche

A nice Australian Red wine and sparkling water

Coffee with a Bailey’s and Ice.

After dinner I changed into my sleep suit in the toilet and then ventured downstairs to the bar to read a paper and have a couple of soft drinks.

I then retired to my seat, reclined it and put on the CD jukebox for the Beatles, David Bowie and Madonna’s latest album whilst I tried to get some shut eye( everyone on the Upper deck tried to sleep also).

A few hours later I glanced at my watch which said 9am (UK time) and I thought –its breakfast time.

Sure enough, the FA came round with a hot towel, orange juice and took our breakfast orders.

As I was not very hungry I only took the Special K cereal and a hot bacon roll with a refill of orange juice and coffee ( muffins/pastries ,all day breakfast, fruit plates were also available).

After breakfast it was time to freshen up in the bathroom before we started our decent over Southern England before turning left over south London ( some clouds blocked most of the view of central London) for our approach to LHR Rwy 27L.

On our final approach on the southern runway we could see the VS hangar and the BA maintenance area with a HS Trident in the old BA colours.

We landed a few minutes late at around 1035 and taxied to gate 8 in T3.We were soon off the aircraft and we walked past “ Ruby Tuesday” the VS aircraft at gate6 preparing for that mornings VS 19 to SFO at 11hrs.

Immigration was easy with a small queue at the non-eu nationals
Area and no queue for EU nationals passport desks. I walked straight through customs as my bags were tagged to EDI and headed upstairs to the Revivals lounge . I was given shower number 1 immediately ( 18 showers in the lounge I think) and had my trousers pressed by housekeeping.

After my invigorating shower I had coffee, OJ, cereal, a pastry and hot savoury crepes for breakfast and relaxed until 1155am when I left to check in for my Bmi flight to EDI. At T1. I could have had a vtouch treatment but the timings were a little tight so I did not bother this time.

I have the full inbound menu so I will type it up shortly.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Regards

TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited Jan 11, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited Jan 11, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited Jan 12, 2004).]
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
Great report - I would love to try VS UC sometime - it sounds great on the 747.

Minor point - SFO has 28R/L (not 25R/L).
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks for pointing that out SFO_Chad. I will correct the post

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
simply divine...I want to tag along next time...lol...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, LMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Jan 12, 2004, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Great report. I would have been so bummed about no therapist on board. If I ever get to fly Upper Class, it's because I want to get that unique pampering!
Old Jan 12, 2004, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
TBS

V much enjoyed your report...thanks

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The _Banking_Scot:

Airbus A340-400
</font>
Wow.. is that wishful thinking?!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I arrived at Zone A of LHR around 730am.</font>
Impressive, on 1 Jan? Must not have been a big legs-up the night before.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:34 pm

TBS

Flawless as usual. One question...the issue was raised some time ago about "new" sleepsuits. Are they new or the purple ones we know and love.

Holding my fingers crossed for suites on March 8 for VS 20.

Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi sactoflyer ( and everybody ),

Thank you for your comments.

On the issue of the sleep suit we got the purple and grey ones we all love. (Non suite equipped 747-400)

I belive however that if you fly on the Suite equipped aircraft you get the new black ones .

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
TBS

Great, detailed trip report, as usual. Your reports really sell VS UC well.
Just a very small point, you say you were given your clubhouse invitation at check in. Why do they do this, doesn't your gold card get you entry?

Nick
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi Nottinham Nick,

I was given the invitation both at LHR & SFO check in ( it does give the directions to the Clubhouses).

I thought it was a little bit of a waste of paper as I would have thought that a glance at the boarding pass ( J) and the Gold Card would have served as lounge access qualification ( I think if you are upgraded you are not supposed to get the lounge access i think- I was upgraded in 2002 from PE to UC from SFO- the check in agent wrote no lounge access on the boarding pass but I was able to use the UK Amex Plat for access ( just before that card benefit was withdrawn)

So, I do not why they bother with the lounge invitation card.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.