Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Whirlwind World Tour: 42,339 miles in nine days (SQ, EK, TG F & LH C)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Whirlwind World Tour: 42,339 miles in nine days (SQ, EK, TG F & LH C)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - President's Circle
From time-to-time...

From time-to-time a trip report comes along and makes me question everything about my AvGeek-ness. Wow, that's a routing I'd never thought of. Wow, what a much more efficient use of miles. Wow, are my skills in bed really as good as I think they are. Yes, from time-to-time they come along and this trip report is one of them.

Fantastic pics. Not too much, not too little.

The prose...interesting without being too wordy. (i believe dan's writing has gotten more efficient with time.)

Thanks so much for the great TR, Madone. Maybe, one day, we'll actually finish a trip together.

...and for those who care...i really don't questions my skills in the bedroom.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:52 am

Thank you.. This is a spectacular TR.. lots of hard work...
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The Long way to Dubai

As I previously mentioned this set of flights came together after I planned the Singapore Airlines and Emirates flights that bookend the trip. I was trying to balance between taking first class flights and not getting suck in Europe for a night or overly long layover so a red-eye was a must. Lufthansa's reduction of first class service left only three [LH] red-eye options on my particular dates: Frankfurt - Singapore (Ya right!), Hong Kong - Munich and Shanghai - Munich; so getting Lufthansa F was going to be a challenge. I did originally have ANA F booked but was concerned that the midnight departure would would create a limiting flight experience and reduced service so I opted for some evening Thai F followed by Thai F a red-eye, also it was back to back A380's so why not??

Thai's fantastic first class cabin.

This was not my first time on the Thai A380, and I was very happy to be back on board. I think this cabin is great, the bed is very good, and the soft product is fantastic.

Details

Yes please!

Cheers - to you!

Bye bye Tokyo!

This evenings menu

To begin a super secret Thai tea. You didn't see it on the menu because it isn't there BUT if you ask really nicely the crew will prepare you one

Noticed something strange about my water glass

Let dinner begin - I ordered the Monk Fish

Dinner was very good and on any other trip it may have stood out but when being compared to Singapore and Emirates Thai catering falls short. After a movie, a little nap and a few more Thai teas we landed in Bangkok about thirty minutes late. Our boarding delay was compounded by another twenty extra minutes on the ground so my Thai ground service was definitely going to be rushed.

Off the plane and into the hands of Thais legendary ground service. A personal assistant met me as I exited the gate and directed to my our golf cart. My personal assistant who we will call Sebastian Vettel (!). I was looking down at my phone trying to send a text when my head whipped back and the ride began. We were fling!! Weaving between the left side and right side of the moving walk ways, honking an anyone who dare not leap out of our way, and squealing the tires (seriously) this girl must be a long lost relative of my Beijing taxi driver!

The ride mercifully came to an end when we stopped at transit security and I was able to walk to the first class lounge. My delay leaving Tokyo killed any chance of a massage or a shower so I made a b line for the dinning room.

Same table as 2015

Thai tea, spicy chicken, spring rolls...I was ordering as fast as I could eat.

Still chewing I was fetched from the dining room and rushed to the gate

Before I knew it I was on the plane enjoying another glass of Dom.

Pajamas

A sweet welcome

The A380's are already showing their age - parts are laterally being held together by duck tape

Can someone explain to me why Airbus thinks men have two legs and woman have one??

Tonight's menu

As soon as we took off I hopped into my new PJ's and ordered some sleep from the menu. The flight was scheduled for 12 hours 30 minutes and I needed to sleep for nine of them. This flight was very important to the rest of my trip going well as this A380 was now my hotel. If everything went well I'd be rested and ready to spend 'tomorrow' with Lufthansa. Lucky for me this is my kind of hotel and I slept like a log in fact I slept so well that when I woke up with only two and-a-bit hours remaining in the flight the crew commented they were getting ready to wake me.

Breakfast - granola with milk and honey, breads and fruit.

Welcome to Paris - I like your neon

Off the plane and through customs in a breeze I was very lucky that we parked right new our departure gate

Not sure if I qualified for priority security I scanned by boarding pass and was pleasantly surprised when the glass doors parted and I got to jump the line

Through security and right to the lounge for another breakfast

I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality and amount of food being offered in the lounge. I guess LH is competing with one stop service to most of the world via MUC or FRA against Air Frances direct flights out of CDG and their many connections with KLM through AMS. Lufthansa Paris lounge game is strong!

Boarding

Heading to Frankfurt

Bye France...it's been brief

Breakfast number three

The Moselle

Landing in Frankfurt

We landed parked at Terminal A and I made my way right to the business class lounge and showers. Luckily and surprisingly I only waited about 15 minutes before I was enjoying a hot shower. I have to say I was blown away when I walked into the shower room and it was the same say those in the F lounge - tub and all. The amenities were of a slightly lower quality but the large space and rain shower of Lufthansa's business class lounge are leaps and bounds beyond when Emirates offers it's first class passengers. Are you noticing a theme here all? Emirates first class showers are embarrassing but I'm many days away from learning that...

Fresh, clean and in need of a walk I headed for Terminal B where my Dubai flight would be departing from.

I found the midnight out of HND I was supposed to be on.

I headed into the Terminal B business class lounge and had the must stunning case of Déjŕ vu. I had been to the lounge before....but when? As an adult I had only flow Lufthansa F - twice with molly and once alone to Italy and always used the FCT or F lounges so why had I been here?

Oh. My. God. I was here in 1999 with my family.

We had a layover here when flying to Israel. I remember we took United from Chicago and parked at a remote gate and got bused to the terminal. Crazy how I walked into the lounge and it was exactly the same.

This lounge had luggage storage lockers **cough cough Emirates needs these cough cough** so I stowed by bags and had another walk

Reflection

I'd like to solve!

About five minutes before boarding a walked back upstairs grabbed my bags and headed to the gate.

Is there any better feeling than climbing the steps to the upper deck of a 747 - I don't think so. Even though this flight broke with the first class theme of my trip it was a opportunity to have one last fly with the queen of the skies and I loved it!

Lufthansa's new business class seats - they would both my mine this evening.

My favorite seat regardless of what cabin of service LH has up here

Our fantastic pilots this evening. I had requested to visit every cockpit of every plane on had been on excluding the short hop from Paris and this was the first one to grant me access. Had a great chat with these two, showed them the map of my trip and directed them to Flyertalk - if you guys tuned in thank you again for the great flight!

Back to my 81A to check out the menu...

...and explore the my [new] seat

Very frustrating that the IFE controls are under the armrest. I don't mind if they are obscured like Singapore does but but space is limited here in business class and with no place to put a drink on my left it makes the armrest too utilitarian to be moved every time I want to adjust IFE.

Leaving Frankfurt

The American couple behind me had been talking loudly all through boarding, taxi and take off and as little as I wanted to wear headphones I just couldn't stand any more when Husband condescendingly told his wife that on this plane First Class was downstairs in the nose and Lufthansa [First] wasn't that good which is why he saved miles and chose to fly business class for this flight. There were so many problems in his lecture I have no fear that he will ever find this description of it on Flyertalk...and on go the headsets!

Dinner time

Four flights and a lot of hours later I was finally in Dubai. Sorry there wasn't too much to see on this installment with all of my sleeping - I promise the pace picks up from here!

Up next: 36 hours in Dubai

Last edited by Madone59; Jul 14, 2017 at 2:23 pm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Madone59
We landed parked at Terminal A and I made my way right to the business class lounge and showers. Luckily and surprisingly I only waited about 15 minutes before I was enjoying a hot shower. I have to say I was blown away when I walked into the shower room and it was the same say those in the F lounge - tub and all. The amenities were of a slightly lower quality but the large space and rain shower of Lufthansa's business class lounge are leaps and bounds beyond when Emirates offers it's first class passengers. Are you noticing a theme here all? Emirates first class showers are embarrassing but I'm many days away from learning that...

Was this by any chance next to gate A26? If so then this is a former FCL.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Bravo bravo , next stop EK !
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:13 pm

My, what a wonderful travel report. I better read these posts so I can also do these luxury trips. Waiting for the next installment.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - President's Circle
More awesomeness!!! Loving the hippy captain.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Madone59
I had all these delusions of getting up and hiking the peak but you don't need to be a psychic and I don't need to show you the inside of the taxi I took for you to know that did not happen. Soooo after a short cab ride I was at The Peak tower with just a few seconds to spare.
Thank you SO, SO, much for this entry. I caught it the day before my trip, and it convinced me I should get up for the sunrise at the Peak. Just got back, and it was amazing...even took the same hike down to the University. Thanks again - never would have considered if it hadn't been for your post!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Fantastic effort gone into this. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Oh wow!! This really is a whirlwind trip. Have just spent a short while reading this and it has made my Monday!!
Safe travels.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
This has been a real tour de force, Madone59 ~ and a heckuva trip report to boot! ^ Thanks for all the time and effort that went into this, not to mention comfort and relaxation aboard all those fine airliners.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by craigsnyc
More awesomeness!!! Loving the hippy captain.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
RE: 20 Hours in Tokyo

OMG, I will be spending 20 hours in Tokyo as well in March. I will be PM-ing you to pick your brain for tricks and tips. I hope to catch the Cherry Blossom Festival in full bloom while I'm there.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
36 hours in Dubai

I can not start this section without first thanking DanielW and Rianda. They made my Dubai stop so much fun! From carting me around all day to taking travel and Dubai with me to the point I worried either their ears or my lips were going to fall off; you can not ask for two nicer people to spend time with. Also, it was a treat to be with people who understood why kept stopping to take pictures....I wonder why that is

I even got a photo of me chatting DanielW about his trip reports...
Me: Remember when you went to Somalia?
DanieW: Yes.
Me: That was awesome!!

"I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?" This is something I have been pondering since I first saw 10 Things I Hate About You too, and Dubai didn't ease my quandary. The bar for this leg of the trip was high, maybe to high, after years of seeing photos of and hearing about this magical city in the desert. Before the trip I'd tell friends about my itinerary and Dubai got everyone's attention. "Dan they have ATM's that give out gold bars over there..." "SO! I'm not buying one." "Oh Dan, you love Cars...the cars are SICK in Dubai..." "SO! I'm not driving one." Maybe that is it. Maybe it's because Dubai is the confluence of so much wealth that the only thing to see is the surface it's self. Maybe the surface is so impressive that looking beneath it is a waste of time and therefor unimpressive; which I find disappointing. Excluding the time spent with Daniel and Rianda my absolute favorite thing I did in Dubai was the boat ride across the creek. That was the best $0.27 I have ever spent. There were so many languages bombarding my ears, so many shades of people (No, I am not taking pigmentation), so many intersecting merging and diverging stories that for a instant I saw Dubai's soul. That boat ride across the creek is where one should start when approaching this place - get a look at the beautiful heart of the city before becoming lost in it's shimmering skin.

Unlike Hong Kong and Tokyo I chose to spend some Marriott points and stay at the amazing JW Marriott Marquis

Good morning Dubai from the 63rd floor!

I had set an alarm and requested a wake up call for 7:15am as I had a 8:30 tee time at The Els Club over in sports city and I didn't want to be late (which I was). For anyone who has the Citi Prestige card this round of golf (which cost about as much as the card's annual fee) was a complimentary round from the now defunct golf benefit program. I booked the round through the Citi golf switch portal one month before my trip and confirmed rental clubs via E-mail. Easy. I am not going to dive to deep into golf geekdom I am just going to say three things: 1. I birdied the number one hole on the course - my only bird of the day 2. Bringing a whole sleeve of golf balls was stupid because you can't lose them...it's just desert...I left with more balls than I brought and 3. These are the truest greens I have ever putted. If you want to know more about golf at The Else Club please PM me so we don't bore the other readers .

Hiking in Honk Kong and walking in Tokyo were fun, but five hours in the sun away from the sounds of the city was exactly what the doctor ordered. Lucky for me DanielW was near Sports City so when I was done I shot him a text and he picked me up!

Kindly Daniel and Rianda said they would swing by the JW Marriott on our way to lunch so I could grab a fresh shirt. I think this was as much for their benefit as it was mine but regardless I appreciated the detour. With a fresh shirt on and my camera in hand we headed to Downtown Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa area for lunch and a stroll.

Crossing the Souk Al Bahar Bridge. Photo credit: DanielW!

Lunch at Zahr El-Laymoun was fantastic!

Starting to walk off lunch - no no fellas' I don't want my car yet

The famous divers waterfall

Under Umbrellas

Tempting! I did avoid the Emirates shop and told Daniel and Rianda IF I wondered in to take my wallet away from me.

The 'souk' section of the mall

The Aquarium

A Blackberry store!?

Fish at the Discovery Channel store

Where I am from they call this Church's

A stop at the Ferrari store - YES!

This photo is for JohnRain because Mercedes is going to wax the F1 field again this year! Me doing my best Kimi face

After many many hours of walking Daniel and Rianda kindly drove me to the old souks before we bid each other safe travels and farewell.

Looking back to the city

Gold souk

Silks

Spice souk

Now Daniel had warned me that the hawkers were really aggressive in the souks but nothing would have prepared me for people trying to wrap scarfs around my head while I walked. You can shout at me "Hey buddy", you can tap me shoulder or even grab my arm, heck you can even block me from leaving your store to pressure me into a purchase but when you reach for my face we're going to have words.

The first guy who tried it accepted "No thank you" but mostly I was laughing with surprise. The second took two "No. Thank you!" The third I literally ducked under but the fourth he wouldn't quit. I stepped into this guy and gave a look that says my father is from Newark and I have relatives in Philadelphia that can only spell the word eagles and ONLY when they chant it. He got the message and I went into the next scarf store I could find and bought one. You see a sucker is born every minute, and these hawkers just want to be there for the miracle of birth. As soon as had my scarf on I was branded a tourist. I had a giant sign around my neck saying "I've spent my dirham" and no one bothered me again. Seriously. This is a first time souk going top tip: walk into the first store you can find and get a hat or a t-shirt or a scarf and everyone leaves you alone.

Done with the souks I headed for the creek

Making Friends

With it getting dark I started wondering my way towards the metro so I could see Burj all lit up at night

Saw this amazing juxtaposition outside the mall. I am guessing with the import fees the truck cost about the same as the lambo

The crowd fathers for the fountain show

Walking back to the mall and towards the metro I bumped into a marching band advertising for the movie theater. What a clattering mess. Marching band + indoors + marble floors = bad idea

Let down by my own lack of creativity in deciding on McDonalds for dinner I headed back to the JW and slunk into bed. Don't worry stomach - tomorrow we dine with Emirates!

Up early the next morning I headed down the the concierge level for another breakfast. Impressive elevator view

Omelet

Full of food and all packed I was out the door and waiting for my Uber to the airport around 8:30am. Now this is a car worth taking a picture of!

Driving to the airport - how did I miss Funky Monkey's!!??

All in all except for my uninspiring dinner Dubai was a success. I played golf, made friends, and did lots of exploring. I wouldn't make a point of staying in Dubai for a extended period of time again but I definitely wouldn't turn down a long day-time layover and a chance to grab a few hours there in the future.

Up next: Emirates DXB-CPT
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Loved the Dubai pics, especially since we're flying LAX-AUH tomorrow for a quick 5 day stay in Dubai and the desert.
Your lunch at Zahr El-Laymoun looked great. Will definitely keep it in mind when we visit the Mall and Burj Khalifa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.