Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Whirlwind World Tour: 42,339 miles in nine days (SQ, EK, TG F & LH C)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Whirlwind World Tour: 42,339 miles in nine days (SQ, EK, TG F & LH C)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:14 pm
Hut

Oh, wow - this looks awesome!

Looking forward to the rest.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: Free agent!
I haven't flown out of TBIT in years (I seem to only fly in for some reason) so I had no idea they were still using those remote gates. Ugh.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Serious? They use a remote bus gate for that flight? Makes me irrationally happy that my CX flight out of LAX left from a real gate attached to the real airport.

I am looking forward to your marathon of F flights though.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
This is such an amazing trip you planned. I think all of us here at FT would want to do a flying is the destination kinda trip. Subscribed and waiting for the rest.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Looks like a great trip.

In all my many flights in/out of LAX TBIT, I've only had remote stands on arrival (used to happen a lot with QF). At least things can only get better from that start to your SQ flight.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Sq7 lax-icn

As I approached the aircraft door I started smiling – ear to ear – I don’t think I had been in a poor mood all day but I definitely hadn’t been beaming. Knowing I was one of the lucky 3 who got to turn left I showed my boarding pass to the flight attendant standing at the door and she warmly welcomed me and smiled

Welcome Mr. Madone59.”
Hi. Hello….how did you know it was me?”
How did I know it was you?” she replied “I know lots of things. I know you ordered the lobster for dinner. Please come this way sir.”

Even though I knew all she did was subtract the two other first class passengers, who had both already boarded and were woman when looking at the manifest, I was no less impressed. Unlike Derik Zoolander I have NO problem turning left so I followed her into Singapore’s new 777W first class four seat cabin.

The seats, in a word, are enormous but they aren’t great. First lets define great – yes the seats are great…they are amazing - but Singapore first is rarefied air and at this altitude (pun intended) june es se qua matters. Also when comparing first class titans, any luxury product, the opinion of the author carries it's own weight. Patek Philippe are the finest watches in the world but I will never be convinced that they are better than A. Lange & Söhne. See what I mean? My favorite airplane seat is the current Lufthansa first class. I have raved about it in three other trip reports, and it pains me that I wasn’t able to shoehorn some Lufthansa first into this one, so I will spare you my aria.

Details

These seats are just too big – I get lost in them and never feel like I belong. Singapore has improved the comfort by providing a square throw pillow which is a vast improvement over the cushion log that comes with the older first class seats but they don’t make me feel any more at home. Now I think some of this stems from me liking to lean on my right arm and the SQ seat want's you to sit on the left but in my defense the airbag seat belt is so wide at the base you find your self moving to the middle anyway.

Seriously, I look tiny like Stewart Little.....or Tom Cruise

New seat controls

IFE controls

Very useful storage space on the other side of the seat

After a whirlwind of introductions to all of the various members of the cabin crew, I received my menu, amenities and some more champagne.

Keeping an eye on my other seat

Nice new Salvatore Ferragamo amenity kits. Pajamas have been the same quarter zip sleeper suits for years, no need for a picture.

Pajama bag doubles are a shoe bag.

After takeoff the crew quickly got to work, as only a SQ crew can. As we were now in the air the flight attendant encouraged me to have a glass of the Krug as “It would only be fair to compare it to the Dom Perignon” – who am I to debate with that logic…fair is fair. The Krug is good but I prefer the Dom and eventually switched back for glass number 3.

Krug n' nuts

Singapore Airlines in flight service is legendary, and for good reason; they are simply wonderful. I had ordered via Book The Cook for both meals on this flights, as well as my flight tomorrow from Singapore to Hong Kong. First up would be SQ's famous Lobster! Below are photos of the menu for those interested; I hope you don't mind I did not post the extensive beverage, teas and cocktails list.

Time to eat!

The cavier was captivating, the soup was super, and the lobster was lavish.

A peek out the window before dessert.

Dessert

After dessert it was time to sleep. I do not find this bed particularity comfortable it is too firm for my liking but SQ does get many extra points for the varity and number of pillows provided. The only thing I can compare it to is one of those blue tri-fold mats you see at gyms or kids tumbling classes

After a few hours of sleep I work up with about an hour and a half left in the flight and this guy watching over me. Well hello Mr. Bear.

My bed was swiftly changed back into a seat and the table was set for my second meal.

I had pre-ordered the pheasant which which in hindsight was a poor decision. I used to love the pheasant at Monk's in Philadelphia - I don't even think it is on the menu any more - so I thought it would be a treat to order but it was just desert dry. I should have known a game bird like pheasant wouldn't translate well into airplane food, this is definitely user error.

Shortly after the second meal we started our descent into ICN and it was time to bid this wonderful crew adieu. Deplaning was bittersweet because even though this part of the journey had come to an end I had two more SQ segments to look forward to!

Coming up next: Transfer in ICN and SQ7 Continues.

Last edited by Madone59; Jan 20, 2019 at 12:50 pm Reason: tpyos
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: Meh
Wow nice F product! Thanks for the TR
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great report and pics so far, Madone59. Looking forward to the rest of it.
Loved the intro and script idea. That was a great lunch and good to finally meet you.

Originally Posted by Madone59
Being last in line gave me one final chance to breath in the LAX remote gate ambiance.

LOL. Classic.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
hooked with chips and cola :-)
Nice way of writing and posting pictures
Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines
As an Aussie, I was curious about the featured Penfolds RWT Shiraz.

Wow, that certainly is in a (much) better league than the Jacobs Creek mentioned in a recent first class review for another airline!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by standch

Wow, that certainly is in a (much) better league than the Jacobs Creek mentioned in a recent first class review for another airline!
Yes certainly caught my eye also.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by standch

Lots of reports mention it wasn't loaded but a couple say it is. Fingers crossed for my SQ F flights coming up .
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Subscribed,

Will be interesting to read this one.
Thanks Fredrik74. I hope you enjoy.

Originally Posted by Another user name to remember
Holy cow, you had lunch with SFO777?!
Originally Posted by benjahman
LOL, my first thought also! This looks like a good one, subscribed ^
Yup, we even shared a dessert

Originally Posted by Vaterland
Flying somewhere to have lunch with SFO777 (or DanielW or Seat2a or ironmanjt) would be an inspirational trip for me.
Well hold onto your pants Vaterland - DanielW is coming up later in the TR. Spoiler Alert He even get's a photo credit!

Originally Posted by chongl
My body is ready

Marquis or standard JW in Dubai?
It was the JW Marquis ^

Originally Posted by Chadg
I also subscribed! I've wanted to do LAX-ICN for awhile now!
I hope you enjoed that part of the TR - it's a great flight!

Originally Posted by Duke787
Epic. Looking forward to it Madone59!
Thanks Duke787

Originally Posted by batmandds
Smart to take advice from SFO777. A wise man he is. Looking forward to this report Madone59. We need to come up with a term for a trip in which the flights are indeed the trip. Any ideas?
I agree batmandds! It's always good to take SFO's advice AND we need a name for this kind of trip. How about Air Cruise?

Originally Posted by snabbu
sounds epic Madone59, something right up my alley

Bring it on!
It was a blast snabbu. Enjoy ^

Last edited by Madone59; Jan 10, 2018 at 3:52 pm Reason: tpyo
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Amazing report!!! Really looking forward to see the rest. Thanks for sharing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.