Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

It's awfully nice in Nice, BA SIN-LHR-NCE in Y+ and C

It's awfully nice in Nice, BA SIN-LHR-NCE in Y+ and C

Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Apartment Massena from Booking.com

IMG_1102 by, on Flickr
Thanks for waiting. You can find the trip report on my travelling blog.

VIEW THE TRIP REPORT HERE AS WELL
And if you enjoy reading it, please subscribe to my blog by selecting the follow button on the top right hand side. Thanks!!

Previous components to this trip:
JetQuay CIP Terminal
BA16 (A380) in Y+ Singapore – London (SIN-LHR)
Restaurant Review: Zedel
BA342 (A320) in C London – Nice (LHR-NCE)

As this is an apartment as opposed to a hotel, I decided not to do the points.

This apartment was found on booking.com and you can see its page here. The location was very central and it was a decent enough size. As you have read from my previous review of the Times Square Hotel, Vancouver, Booking.com cancelled that booking. I do recognise that the vast majority of it was our own fault of using an incorrect credit card, and I don’t want to revisit that particular case. But I would say that I am still a reasonable fan of booking.com due to its broad range of choices and its decent cancellation policy.

Back to this apartment. Upon arrival, I had to call a number and the person who manages the apartment (not the owner) met us within a few minutes. She seemed to speak only a smattering of English. Of course, this is France so what else would you expect? However, dragging out my school French I managed to ascertain everything that was needed. She then sauntered off and we wouldn’t chat until the penultimate day.

IMG_0517 by , on Flickr

This was the living area. Unfortunately I never got a full shot of the entire living/dining/kitchen. The sofa transforms into a bed,and unlike some of those complicated contraptions out there, this was very easy to pull out, and then put back.

There is a tv but never once during the stay did it get switched on. It was a moment of pride at the end of the stay when I realised I hadn’t watched one minute of tv during the week I was there. [I would add there is free high speed wifi in the apartment so I was still able to watch YouTube]

The bedroom,was a decent size. Not big, but after reading various home listings in Nice, this seemed a good size. A lot of apartments were being sold as one bedroom, like this. Nice is an old city after all, so they don’t necessarily have huge spaces.

IMG_0512 by , on Flickr

There was a decent kitchen with all the modern appliances. The oven doubled as a microwave, or vice versa! They provided the full range of crockey and cutlery. What seemed a tiny bit strange was that they provide all the bathroom towels, but they didn’t provide any towels for the kitchen area.

IMG_0516 by , on Flickr

At the coffee machine was fully stocked for the arrival. In fact it was just the right amount of coffee beans. The final cup of coffee coincided with the last grind of the machine.

IMG_0533 by , on Flickr

Instead of a one bathroom with both shower and toilet, the apartment had split the two. This actually make sense in such a confined space. There was location of the shower, and toilet were not conducive to having one room. However, what this led to what a slightly smaller toilet area than was probably entirely comfortable. If you are, how should one say it, a bit larger than most or have mobility issues, this might not be the best place for you.

IMG_0513 by , on Flickr

This apartment is situated within a large block so bear in mind that you are probably staying where there are people living. The block (like many of the buildings around here) are old so sound is not effectively muffled. You can hear people traipsing around upstairs. It only bothers people if you can’t sleep. I can sleep through a lot!!

The entrance is right onto a thorough-fare, not really a side street. I wonder how many people just wander in. There is a lift and a flight of stairs. I sent my luggage up the lifts with the apartment manager and took the stairs — it’s just on the first floor.

IMG_1102 by , on Flickr

If you need more toilet roll, coffee, some munchies. There are a number of small convenience shops around the area which sells of these things.

Would I stay here again? Yes. Good location. Decent price.

Next up restaurants in Nice.

You can find me also on (not so much presence)
YouTube
Instagram

And if you enjoyed this report I'd appreciate support if you'd follow my blog and me on youtube and instagram.
Thanks!!
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The apartment looks indeed decent. I more or less never use booking.com and other engines.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:53 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I now warn people off booking.com after a really bad experience with them three months ago. I had used them for a large number of bookings for several years, but they treated me very badly and there seems no way of escalating things to a higher level. So I walked. Still use them to find hotels, but then use another engine to actually book, or book direct with the hotel.

hotels.com seems to be just as good if you need a booking engine.

I am told that booking.com charges hotels and apartments a commission of 19%, so it is often better for the hotel or apartment if you book direct and then you can negotiate a lower price while the hotel still makes more money than they would have done.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
I now warn people off booking.com after a really bad experience with them three months ago. I had used them for a large number of bookings for several years, but they treated me very badly and there seems no way of escalating things to a higher level. So I walked. Still use them to find hotels, but then use another engine to actually book, or book direct with the hotel.

hotels.com seems to be just as good if you need a booking engine.

I am told that booking.com charges hotels and apartments a commission of 19%, so it is often better for the hotel or apartment if you book direct and then you can negotiate a lower price while the hotel still makes more money than they would have done.
Actually that sounds like my experience with The Westin Wall Centre, Vancouver Airport Hotel which was the hotel that replaced the problem I had with Booking.com when I went to Vancouver last trip.
I found a rate on hotels.com and phoned Westin directly and they matched the price that hotels.com gave me. And I get points from it so better for all us.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Restaurants in Nice

And if you enjoy reading it, please subscribe to my blog by selecting the follow button on the top right hand side. Thanks!!

JetQuay CIP Terminal

During my recent trip to Vancouver, I wrote restaurant reviews in one post. I intend to do something very similar here so hopefully you will find the summaries more useful than me writing individual postings on each restaurant.

I think broadly my experience of food in Nice was a good one. The normal way of doing things, I just wander around during the day. If there is a restaurant that looks interesting, I will look it up on TripAdvisor. If it has a 4* review, it generally go on my list of restaurants that I’m happy to go to.

A big note is that most restaurants did not take bookings. Initially I thought it was annoying because I needed a place to eat for New Year and didn’t want to end up with no where to eat. However, I needed have worried.

If you go early (i.e. 6pm) there was never any problem finding a table. Or if you are willing to wait, it is often not bad. There are also plenty of restaurants in Nice so don’t worry about not having anywhere to eat.

Asia Express

IMG_0502 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

What I’m not going to do is pretend that this is five star dining. Far from it. Cheap and cheerful. And it was open when I wanted to eat.

IMG_0510 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

IMG_0504 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

La Favola

This was my final meal in Nice. And it comes highly recommended.

IMG_1339 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

When we arrived it was empty. I think I arrived at 6pm, but very shortly it started to fill up.

IMG_1344 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Various anti pasti ready for serving

IMG_1342 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Spaghetti aux Fruits de Mer (Seafood spaghetti )

IMG_1354 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Pizza Capricciosa

IMG_1352 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

As we were leaving the cooks were just getting into the swing of things.

IMG_1362 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

This is definitely on my return list, when I come back to Nice.

La Pizza Cresci

IMG_0723 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

The restaurant was very empty, when I first walked by. My general rule is that the busier the restaurant, the better it must be. However, I tend to eat early – around 6-6.30pm and most locals tend to eat later (or maybe most people eat later!).

It is quite a big restaurant so it’s likely that there will be seats. And this is a pizzeria so the turnover is quite fast.

IMG_0722 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

The pizzas are actually served in halves not wholes. But the halves were sufficient enough for our party.

IMG_0719 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Another place I would definitely return to.

Le Choucas

IMG_0552 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

This had a small entrance on the street front, but there was a nice area downstairs.

As with most restaurants in Nice, it was empty when I first arrived. However,when I left, the whole restaurant was full and there were several groups waiting to leave.

The first course was a seafood soup course. Served with a side of bread, grated cheese and some garlic mayonnaise.

It really doesn’t look that appealing I must confess. I really thought I had made a mistake, but wow it was absolutely delicious. I would only say that it is really really rich so if you don’t have a huge appetite, this may wipe you out for the rest of your meal.

IMG_0564 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Not 100% certain what this was!

IMG_0572 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Nice steak!

IMG_0569 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Side of fries and vegetables. This was a bit of a disappointment. The chips were a bit soggy.

IMG_0568 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

La creme brulee!!!!! Need I say any more?!

IMG_0582 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Restaurant Asiatique Volonte

IMG_0702 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr
One day, on the way back from the station we saw this restaurant which had just opened for lunch so popped in. And it was a good decision.

For lunch it was only about €14.

IMG_0701 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

IMG_0703 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

It was a normal buffet in many respects, but for the grill. You can select a whole series of raw foods and they will then grill it for you.

IMG_0700 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Grilling all my seafood!!

IMG_0698 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

They all have a option to fry the food. But it’s not really that great. They added too much water so it didn’t end up tasting particularly good.

IMG_0695 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

They had a good mixture of Chinese and Vietnamese cuisine.

IMG_0692 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

There was some sushi, but I wouldn’t really describe this as Japanese as such.

IMG_0690 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

There was a huge cold seafood section.

IMG_0694 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

IMG_1165 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Deserts!!!!!!

IMG_0686 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Ice cream!!!!!

IMG_0687 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

VIP’s Grill

This was New Year’s Eve dinner. Again, even going in at 7pm the place was almost empty.

IMG_1105 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

I think there were two tables occupied when we arrived.

IMG_1109 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

The only time I managed to have the traditional French dish of snails in garlic butter. Shame. I like this dish a lot!

IMG_1129 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Pate with toast

IMG_1123 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Cold shrimp salad

IMG_1125 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

If you don’t deal with bones very well, this is not a good one for you. Even if you are able to remove the meat carefully, you will end up with bones.

IMG_1136 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

This chicken dish was probably the best value of the dishes we had.

IMG_1135 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

This was probably the most disappointing dish. The piece of fish was sooo small!!!!

IMG_1132 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Creme brulee. It wasn’t a patch on Le Choucas

IMG_1146 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

I’m sorry to disappoint all of you but yes, I also ate at McDonald’s. And yes… I loved it!!!

YouTube
Instagram

And if you enjoyed this report I'd appreciate support if you'd follow my blog and me on youtube and instagram.
Thanks!!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

BA345 (A320) Nice - London (NCE-LHR)

JetQuay CIP Terminal
Restaurants in Nice

The flight wasn’t until late afternoon so there absolutely no rush to leave the apartment. Fortunately the manger was very kind and said that I could leave when I was ready, and just to leave the keys and text her when we were off.

Our own conversation on WhatsApp was carried out in French, and it was impressive (to myself), that it seemed to go off without a hitch. Though, given the poor state of my French, it could have been that she was just simply angry at me for saying something offensive. Which is entirely possible!!!

Finally at about 1pm we left the apartment and headed towards MacDonalds in central Nice. Near by is the taxi stand, of which there just seemed to be Mercedes after Mercedes.

Anyway, the driver seemed very cheerful and we were on the metre so at least we could keep track of the cost, which was not as expensive as when we had picked up the taxi on the way in.

IMG_1423 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Thought, again for less than 10 minutes to the airport, it seemed an extortionate amount.

Check in was a bit of a farce. For some reason it hadn’t opened, and then when it did, the economy section opened first, and seemed to be processing passengers a lot faster than the Club Europe queue.

IMG_1425 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

In, fact if you had arrived much after I had, it would probably have been quicker to go through the normal line. There was a couple at the front of the Club Europe/priority queue who seemed to take a good ten minutes to check in. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I always find it strange how long it takes people to get through their check in. Maybe they had an onward connection … who knows….

Once the check in had been negotiated, it was time for security. There was no priority line for security for BA. In this case, it seemed to be off peak, which meant clearing security was pretty swift. However, I can imagine during peak times it would be crazy.

The lounge is the in the B section of the airport, which is bizarrely located after some kind of check point, where there are no checks taking place.

IMG_1431 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

The lounge itself was quite spacious, but I believe there was an Emirates flight departing shortly before the London flight which meant that it was actually quite busy. What it turned out, was that the Emirates departure was actually delayed. Nevertheless, I managed to get a table and get a look around to grab some food and drink.

IMG_1439 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

A decent number of drink choices! Plus some sandwiches

IMG_1435 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

A small number of snacks available

IMG_1434 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Hot drinks available from two machines

IMG_1442 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

There were people queuing for the (delayed) Emirates flight departing from the gate next to the BA 345.

Finally, it came to boarding the BA flight to London. Although a single aisle jet, boarding was relatively quick and painless.

IMG_1450 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

BA345 NCE-LHR
January 2017
A320
Class: Club Europe (Business)
Scheduled Departure: 15:50
Actual Departure: 15:59
Scheduled Arrival: 16:55
Actual Arrival: 17:08
Estimated duration:
Actual duration: 2:09
Plane registration: G-EUYN

Not the best photo I grant you. In fact pretty awful, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to get any closer to the window.

IMG_1453 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Once on board, the captain came on the horn apologising that we would be departing slightly late. I think they mentioned something about being late landing, but I can’t remember!

Anyway, we didn’t really take off that late. Only about 10 minutes by all accounts.

We finally got to cruising altitude and the crew started the afternoon meal service. Which is basically afternoon tea. Nothing to write home about but decent enough. And there were plenty of scones to go around for seconds … and thirds …. and fourths… if you so desired!

IMG_1458 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

No sooner had they cleared the trays away, was it almost time to land. The crew came round to clear up all the last minute detritus, and my ears started popping.

Short haul flights find it very difficult to make up lost time, and indeed we had actually lost a few more minutes from the scheduled landing.

Getting through passport control is a bit of a faff with the new face recognition gates. Sometimes, such as on my flight out from Singapore, there is almost no problem. However, on this leg, the system really seemed to be having heaps of problems. Nearly every other passenger was being sent for manual checks by border staff. It must have slowed the process down so much!

And of course, once I got to the luggage carousel, priority tags meant nothing … again!!!

I joke you not, my bags were probably one of the last out.

YouTube
Instagram

Thanks!!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster

BA11 (A380) London - Singapore (LHR-SIN)

JetQuay CIP Terminal
Restaurants in Nice
BA345 (A320) Nice - London (NCE-LHR)

IMG_1494 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

If you have read any of my previous trip reports, you will know that I hate arriving late to the airport. Some like to arrive just in time to board. Not me.

So at 5pm, I made it to the airport; some two hours before departure. On days like this, when there is virtually no one around, the check in hall of Terminal 5 is really really cavernous. And with it being so quiet, it really doesn’t seem like it is one of the busiest airports in the world.

IMG_9421 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Check in was a breeze. Though the same can’t really be said for security. Although they were doing their level best, there were some travellers who were really taking their sweet time about removing everything.

Nevertheless, about 10 minutes after joining the security queue I was through and on my way to the Aspire Lounge. I get access to the Aspire Lounge at Heathrow terminal 5 due to my Priority Pass.

My Priority Pass access comes from holding a Citibank Prestige card. I wrote more in detail about it in the post Which Reward Card do I use?

Among the other benefits the Prestige card offers
  • Complimentary night stay at any hotel of your choice with a minimum, consecutive 4-night booking.
  • Complimentary one-way airport limousine transfers eight times a year.
  • Access to JetQuay Private Terminal

IMG_9438 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

The big bug bear I have is that this is the only Priority Pass lounge on the airside of Heathrow Terminal 5,so it can get really busy, like it did this evening.

I have used it when the airport was incredibly busy, and it was not a pleasant experience. This time wasn’t too crowded, and I was able to find a perch.

What I was really unimpressed with was the staff. One particular member of staff seemed to have a real attitude. She came out while I was getting my card processed and started arguing with the manager.

She wanted to go on break, and he told her she had to wait for another colleague as she arrived 30 minutes late. And then she lost it. Swearing and slamming the door to the kitchen. Then when she came out to put out the food, she threw it down. I was impressed that the manager didn’t lose his cool.

IMG_9430 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

After that excitement, I helped myself to some munchies. I’m not a big fan of pasta before I fly. It just fills me up. I guess some people do like it, but I only do that if I am carb loading. And if I’m carb loading, why don’t I just eat pizza ��

IMG_1487 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

I also managed to grab a glass of bubbly — most likely prosecco. But had to quaff it down as I was running late for the flight and it was annoyingly at C gates.

You build a brand terminal, and yet you can’t get all the gates in one location. I’m not convinced that’s the greatest planning.

IMG_1494 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

YouTube
Instagram

Thanks!!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

BA11 (A380) London - Singapore (LHR-SIN) part II

January 2017
A380
Class: World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy)
Scheduled Departure: 19:05
Actual Departure: 19:39
Scheduled Arrival: 15:55
Actual Arrival: 16:07
Estimated duration: 12hr 50mins
Actual duration: 12hr 27mins
Plane registration: G-XLEJ

I got to the gate as boarding hadn’t commenced yet so I walked around to find somewhere to fill my water bottle. Now this is one of my top tips for travelling. Always carry an empty water bottle with you. And then fill it up at a water fountain in the airport.

If you aren’t in First or Business Class, the crew inevitably never bring round water frequently enough.

IMG_1496 by Globe Trekka , on Flickr

Hello again World Traveller Plus. I quite like the new WT+ seat. It’s comfortable and they give you a few additional amenities.

IMG_1497 by Globe Trekka , on Flickr

There was someone in the seat next to me and we exchanged, brief, pleasantries before settling into our seats for push back.

I was seriously impressed with him. He didn’t leave his seat for the entire flight. Not once.

There was almost no delay in getting people on board, but we had a small wait before we pushed back, this led to take off being later by about 30mins.

Almost as soon as we got to cruising altitude the crew swung into action to serve dinner.

IMG_1500 by Globe Trekka , on Flickr

It was some kind of sweet and sour chicken. Not really that tasty, but I did finish it!

The crew probably serve and clear up quickly, so that they can get everyone asleep as soon as possible. And it worked. I fell asleep before they had even started clearing away the trays!!!

The next thing I knew …. Breakfast time!!!

IMG_1504 by Globe Trekka , on Flickr

I don’t know what’s going on here, but BA seem to serve this identical breakfast wherever they are. Actually I shouldn’t complain. I really like it!!

The 30mins delay we had leaving London was reduced to about 10minutes by the time we landed in Singapore.

If you liked this on any of my previous reports, please follow me on my globetrekka blog

YouTube
Instagram

Thanks!!
Old May 20, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

In post 8 of this report, I wrote a shot excerpt of my experience of JetQuay.

I've now written a longer review in the Singapore section of FlyerTalk Jetquay CIP Terminal – an unnecessary luxury? ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.