Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Montréal and New Orleans the long way... via Cathay Pacific First Class

Montréal and New Orleans the long way... via Cathay Pacific First Class

Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
How was the Omni, SFO777? Unfortunately, we've had a rather rough run with that brand the past couple of stays (Charlottesville, Houston, and Providence) last month. The Waldorf Astoria and RC in NOLA aren't that great, so I'm curious to get your opinion. Finally, I didn't see it in your TR, but hopefully you made it to the Jazz Brunch at Commander's Palace; one of my absolute favorites! Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I always enjoy your TRs, especially when they involve Montréal... also a frequent destination of mine.

Your pics of the empty CBSA lines at YUL are par for the course... I don't recall ever seeing a big backup there, no matter the hour of the day. My last trip to YUL, it had to be only about 12 minutes from the time I left my F seat on Delta to the time I boarded the 747 bus at the curbside (and that's without NEXUS... the walk from the US gates is the longest part, as you know).
Summer afternoon at YUL arrivals are insane. They will hold people in the hallways leading to the arrival hall.

Liverpool house looks interesting.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
How was the Omni, SFO777? Unfortunately, we've had a rather rough run with that brand the past couple of stays (Charlottesville, Houston, and Providence) last month. The Waldorf Astoria and RC in NOLA aren't that great, so I'm curious to get your opinion. Finally, I didn't see it in your TR, but hopefully you made it to the Jazz Brunch at Commander's Palace; one of my absolute favorites! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you CHOPCHOP767. The Omni was pleasant and comfortable, but maybe a 3.5 star. Great location though for what we were doing.

Originally Posted by seawolf
Summer afternoon at YUL arrivals are insane. They will hold people in the hallways leading to the arrival hall. Liverpool house looks interesting.
Thanks seawolf. Here is one such summer afternoon last year. Thank goodness for NEXUS where there was only 1 other person at the kiosks. I was outside in less than 3 minutes.

Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
That picture is typical summer afternoon at YUL but I see let hand side is empty so it could get worst.

NEXUS is worth every penny.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for another good read SFO777.

Delta’s SkyClubs do at least look fairly modern, if a little bland and crowded.

The green colours and carpets everywhere makes YVR look very dated. The CX lounge looks superb as always. Surely anyone could throw anything over the glass partition at the gate?

I wasn’t very impressed with CX J (notably the catering) when I flew them for the first time last year, but I think that was probably the ex-HKG catering which is dodgy on many airlines. CX F is very much still on my to-fly list.

AA’s latest lounges are more function over style. They seem dated already, despite being supposedly brand new concepts.

Great sunrise over Montreal on your sector to PHL.

The irony of you being told twice to keep the noise down at your New Orleans hotel when you’re the first to complain (in trip reports) about other people’s noise is not lost on me.

Did you forget to post the return AA sector here?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

American so-called First Class back to LAX

We were able to negotiate a 2:15pm checkout and Uber'd it for the 25 minute drive to the airport. OK, this is one sorry looking facility. Apparently a new terminal is under construction although to augment not replace this old relic.

AA catering is so bad that we tried to find something healthy to eat in the terminal. Zero, zip, nada.

Man, this place is ugly.

With 3 gates jammed together at the end of this lovely seating area.

So old with few electrical outlets for charging.

At least we're on time and can get out of this depressing place, except that we have to fly a depressing airline.

New Orleans-LAX
AA 2580
737-800
January 15, 2017
"Dinner" LOL

Now playing the field, my last AA mainline flight was 5 months ago. Only a cheap fare and expiring SWUs brought me back to this sorry excuse for an airline.

First generation slider seats with no seat back IFE of course.

But reasonable legroom.

Hard to believe but catering has gone from bad to disgusting. Choice of chicken pot pie or stuffed peppers. I pre-ordered one of each so Mrs. SFO777 could choose between the lesser of the evils. Unfortunately, both were gross and inedible.

Both the corn and arugula salads were awful. But they were both positively gourmet compared to the chicken pot pie...

Which had absolutely zero chicken...

Or the stuffed peppers, which smelled and tasted just plain nasty...

After I asked, one of our FAs brought me a BOB chicken wrap and even refused my offer to pay. Amazingly, unlike the chicken pot pie, the chicken wrap actually had chicken. What a concept.

To complete today's wonderful AA experience, catering forgot to load dessert. Our FA apologized for the lack of cheesecake and tried to make the best of it...

Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
Thanks for another good read SFO777.
The irony of you being told twice to keep the noise down at your New Orleans hotel when you’re the first to complain (in trip reports) about other people’s noise is not lost on me.
Did you forget to post the return AA sector here?
Thank you Genius1 and for your comments, especially your noting the irony of the noise complaint.

And thanks for the reminder about the last segment. Just posted above.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Bäääääh! What a grub!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.