Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Montréal and New Orleans the long way... via Cathay Pacific First Class

Montréal and New Orleans the long way... via Cathay Pacific First Class

Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I had the same menu on YVR-JFK in November 2015, I remember it being excellent as well. This is hands down the best North American transcon flight.
Anyhow, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about my hometown!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:21 am

Thank you for making me giggle.

Between the Lithuanian plane and the man in the lounge.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Accidental dupe post

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 16, 2017 at 2:56 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Nice to see you back at it again, SFO777!

I had the good fortune to fly First Class aboard Cathay's YVR-JFK flight last February. Like you, I enjoyed a nicely prepared tenderloin though I wish I'd had your mango dessert. My only complaint with that flight is that it's too short. By the time the last of the dinner plates are cleared off, you've only about three hours left in the flight. Fortunately I was connecting to the JFK-HKG flight so I had plenty of time to catch up on my sleep onboard.

As nice an airplane as the 777-300 is, I wouldn't mind a bit if Cathay switched to a Constellation or a Stratocruiser in order to give me a bit more time to sleep.
Parterre likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 16, 2017 at 2:59 am
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
At least CX are moving to T8 should you ever have to do it again...

Been too long since I flew their F - I have a spare weekend in NY coming up and a whole load of miles doing nothing, you may be tipping me over the edge!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777

How classy!

Didn´t mention this 5th freedom so far, nice way to travel this route.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Oformula
As a US Passport Holder, SFO777 would not need a visa.
Well, seriously you thought that was the merit of my post?
Does " " mean anything to you?
The OP was born Canada, holds the US passport and... you chose to clarify that to us? Meh.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Just read the latest part on your website, SFO777. Excellent as always.

My best guess for that Delta 757 is a charter for a NHL team that was playing the Canadians the night before (or maybe that day and arrived early in the morning like 2-3am).
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Fun routing, SFO777! I travel to SEA often and would certainly enjoy CX service, but its hard to justify the flight to YVR, and then another from JFK to BOS. I have another DL 737-8 F r/t from BOS to SEA next week and am certainly envious of the CX suite after this TR. But heck, at least its DL and not AA or AS Thanks for the vicarious experience though and for sharing.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
AA at JFK

After security, I headed for the AA Admirals Club, flashed my Cathay Pacific boarding pass and I was given the green light to go to the new Flagship Lounge. Nice and new, but what's the point? It's no more attractive than the old lounge and seemingly less functional. Like where are the business center work spaces? Apparently tiny little claustraphobic booths with a view of a wall. Supposedly, a new dining room in under construction in the old Flagship Lounge space. But today, this place is a big meh...

With a pathetic selection of food offerings is what is hopefully a temporary station.

Showers are nice, new and an improvement, although the ventilation is as bad as ever.

One of the casualties of the ongoing construction is that someone messed up the Wifi and there was none.... as in no internet. I decided to move to the satellite Admirals Club as my JFK-YUL flight departed from Gate 32 anyway.

Admirals Club near Gate 39.

At T-30, I headed down the concourse where my flight was just about ready to board.

New York JFK-Montréal
American Eagle 4343
ERJ-145
9:00a-10:30a
January 12, 2017
Seat 12A

Poor man's First Class is exit row single seat 12A.

With loads of leg room.

Yap, yap, yap.

This guy was hilarious, trying in vain to stuff his carryon into the tiny overhead bins. A couple minutes of pushing, pullind and squeezing and he gave up and dropped back at gate check.

Only a half on shade on this plane as the rest of it apparently disappeared into the wall.

Fun landing today as the captain had advised that visibilty was "pretty bad". Yeah, that's always comforting to hear. Crew did a great job as this is the first of ground I saw less than 30 seconds from touchdown.

While the gate check bags were being retrieved, I chatted with the crew who said that we just made it as the ceiling was minimum 200'. Anything less and we'd be heading for BTV.

Looks like we were the only international flight landing at this time.

The NEXUS kiosks which use an iris scan to verify identity, issue a receipt and lets NEXUS holders enter Canada without speaking to any customs/immigration officer.

Yikes, lots of unclaimed bags.

The main garage across from the terminal with all the rental car counters and vehicles.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Airlines/...IMG_7811-L.jpg

Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After a nap and some work, I headed downtown to visit my mom and for dinner with my sister and her husband. But first, the always wonderful rush hour traffic.

To Liverpool House, a celebrated restaurant whose chef was apparently the youngest to win Iron Chef America a couple of years ago.

Lots of delicious starters...

... but the foie gras with cinnamon brioche was insane.

Slow cooked lamb.

And of course dessert.

LOL on the wall.

The sun was out the next morning, but whoa... temps had dropped some 30 degrees F and the wind was now 30 mph.

After a day of meetings, company party starting at the historic old Montreal Forum, now a complex of theatres, restaurants and entertainment venues.

The a few blocks down Ste-Catherine street to Kampai Gardens, a new hot spot.

Last edited by SFO777; Feb 3, 2017 at 9:09 pm
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dat4life
I had the same menu on YVR-JFK in November 2015, I remember it being excellent as well. This is hands down the best North American transcon flight. Anyhow, I look forward to hearing your thoughts about my hometown!
Thanks dat4life. We had a great time in New Orleans, a cool party town.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Thank you for making me giggle.
Between the Lithuanian plane and the man in the lounge.
Thank you Bretteee.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Nice to see you back at it again, SFO777!
I had the good fortune to fly First Class aboard Cathay's YVR-JFK flight last February. Like you, I enjoyed a nicely prepared tenderloin though I wish I'd had your mango dessert. My only complaint with that flight is that it's too short. By the time the last of the dinner plates are cleared off, you've only about three hours left in the flight. Fortunately I was connecting to the JFK-HKG flight so I had plenty of time to catch up on my sleep onboard. As nice an airplane as the 777-300 is, I wouldn't mind a bit if Cathay switched to a Constellation or a Stratocruiser in order to give me a bit more time to sleep.
Thanks very much Seat 2A. Agree about the way too short flight, although you can add an hour on the return JFK-YVR flight. But still too short.

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
At least CX are moving to T8 should you ever have to do it again... Been too long since I flew their F - I have a spare weekend in NY coming up and a whole load of miles doing nothing, you may be tipping me over the edge!
Thank you darthlemsip. Didn't realize CX was moving. Do you know the timing for the move?

Originally Posted by offerendum
How classy!
Didn´t mention this 5th freedom so far, nice way to travel this route.
Thanks offerendum.

Originally Posted by UAL250
Just read the latest part on your website, SFO777. Excellent as always. My best guess for that Delta 757 is a charter for a NHL team that was playing the Canadians the night before (or maybe that day and arrived early in the morning like 2-3am).
Thanks very much UAL250. That makes sense. Just checked the schedule and it looks like the Rangers flew in from New York late Friday/early Saturday after their game at the Garden.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Fun routing, SFO777! I travel to SEA often and would certainly enjoy CX service, but its hard to justify the flight to YVR, and then another from JFK to BOS. I have another DL 737-8 F r/t from BOS to SEA next week and am certainly envious of the CX suite after this TR. But heck, at least its DL and not AA or AS Thanks for the vicarious experience though and for sharing.
Thank you CHOPCHOP767. Agree that its not convenient but every now and then, what the heck.
I had an LAX-YUL nonstop saver but cancelled it for the long way via CX.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:50 am

Nice TR sfo777. Montreal is a great city. How many Asia Miles was that flight? More importantly, how was The Mechanic: Resurrection? Jason Statham is my favourite!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Excellent report. New Orleans looks nice. Is Ms.SFO777Jr to be, the same flight attendant(or now former), that you and Ms.SFO777 thought that she would be a perfect match with SFO777Jr? Do not remember the airline but it was a year or two ago in your trip report.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thank you darthlemsip. Didn't realize CX was moving. Do you know the timing for the move?
Moved this past Sunday

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.