Search

New Years in Rome and Malta via Lufthansa and BA First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MikeFly
I just flew back from LHR - ORD on BA (F). SFO777 based on your LH comments, I really hope you find an alternative to BA if your experience will be anything like what I experienced.

High(low)lights:
- CCR as detailed in many posts (power points, furniture, catering, service, spa services, toilets etc) The Samsung people walked up and gave me a nice multi adaptor - which I actually needed - so that was good.
- Catering on board
- Dine on Demand that is not (I wanted a scone - No! We serve that 1 hour prior to landing!)
- Slippers are only for night flights
- they did keep the galley curtain closed - easier to ignore everyone in the cabin that way.
etc.
That's really a lowlight! Terrible if something like that happens to one
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
What a disappointing flight experience to start! Very excited to learn where you go/what you do in Rome as we were just there with my 8 month old before Christmas. Italy does not disappoint, in my experience. I imagine your schedule will be different; ours revolved around bath time. Malta is on my list; never been; and equally excited to see your choices. Thank you for sharing as always.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
We arrived at Gate K-7 which was nearly directly across from the Terminal 2 Satellite First Class Lounge.

This was my 2nd visit here and I really like this lounge. Very attractive with lots of windows for plane watching.

While Mrs. SFO777 headed to one of the sleep rooms for a nap, I explored this beautiful new lounge.

The lounge attendant showed my the new terrace which I hadn't noticed last month. It's a nice feature but small... and likely to be used mostly as an outdoor smoking lounge. Presumably, they put furniture out when the weather warms.

None of the wines interested me so I went with a beer...

With Mrs. SFO777 napping, someone else joined me for lunch.

My Viennese Schnitzel.

Which was delicious...

... but not as fabulous as this one at the FCT in Frankfurt last year.

Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In Munich, Lufthansa only provides limo service to planes operating from a remote tarmac position. Unfortunately unlike my LHR flight last month, our Rome flight departed from a real gate, Gate K04 which is only a 5 minute walk from the Lounge. But still a walk nevertheless and having to mingle with other passengers.

Amazingly, all other passengers were seated with no gate lice at all. Since we had the bulkhead seats and no nearby available seats, we became gate lice, standing at the gate for 5 minutes before boarding commenced.

Munich-Rome
Lufthansa 1846
A321
3:45p-5:15p
December 29, 2016
Seats 1AC

Welcome aboard the ever uncomfortable phony Business Class seats that European airlines get away with.

Friendly cabin crew offered excellent service after take-off and closed the galley curtain immediately. Time to promote this crew to international First Class. I wasn't hungry but too the lunch offering for the photo opp.

The custard dessert and chocolates were good.

FCO is not the most attractive airport, although there were pretty pics of Rome along the way to the exit.

Our personable Hassler driver Momy was waiting for us outside baggage claim. After a short walk to the car, we were on the road and at the hotel 35 minutes later.

Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hassler Roma

At the top of the Spanish Steps with a commanding view of Rome, The Hotel Hassler is one of Europe's great classic hotels.

Not sure whether it was the hotel equivalent of a mistake fare, but I was fortunate to find an amazing online deal on the Hassler website, a prepaid Classic Suite that was priced less than a Jr. Suite. I then got a further 35% discount when I call Citi Concierge and used the 4th night free offer, as the 4th night was the most expensive night of our stay. Our luck continued at check-in as we were upgraded to a larger 6th floor suite with a view.

After we settled in, we headed downstairs for a drink and something to eat, at the elegant Salone Eva.

We both had the wonderful Amatriciana style mezzi rigatoni pasta and a glass of Brunello.

OMG... sensational.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 7, 2017 at 6:11 am
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Damn, I bribed the LH crew to make sure you would have a fantastic flight and rave about LH again, but it seems I was too stingy. (My bribing experience is limited to a single occasion at the Polo Lounge in LA where I gave the maître d' a ten dollar bill to get a good table and ended up sitting next to the kitchen door). Hmmm. Here's to hoping LH won't be overtaken by BA on your F ranking!
Thank you JohnRain. Yeah, you need to polish your bribing skills.
I know you raved about LH, even while sitting in those awful 1DG lav seats but my recent experience has been anything but.

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Hmm, for more reasons that I can think of, hell will freeze over before that happens. Very much looking forward to the BA installment. Popcorn is on order. In fairness, if you get a great crew (and they do exist) they can often gloss over the failings. The Champagne is also the same so you're on safe ground there. I also strongly recommend the beef
Thank you Betteronacamel. I am sort of looking forward to another round with BA, if for nothing more than the entertainment factor.
Call it morbid curiosity. Plus I'll be burning more of my ever useless AA miles.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Great trip report.
Originally Posted by snabbu
As always a great read SFO777, looking forward to the rest.
Thanks Annalisa12 and snabbu.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Admittedly my data points are few for LH F (3x FRA, 1x MUC) but I noticed no significant difference; four excellent crews (admittedly one helped by me being the only one in F on that day ) across four different plane types if that makes a difference (former 747-400 F, 747-8 F, A380 F, and A330 F) with routes involving three continents in addition to obviously Europe.
Thanks TheBOSman. Dunno. We've flown a lot of LH First flights over the years. I'm just not feeling it any more and it seems like things have slipped. Then again, some of the competition is so much better, like Air France La Premičre, which is simply out of this world on the ground and in the air.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
1. If I am correct Lufthansa have a lot of problems employee wise. They are not happy and often on strike. Even in economy they started serving "lettuce" as a starter to cut costs like the US airlines do and Swiss. Thanks for the Rome tip. I went 40 years ago in July and it was awful; unbearably hot. That's why I want to go back.
Thank you Bretteee. Ouch, yeah summer can be pretty hot here.

Originally Posted by adampenrith
We found the crowds incredible in June too - we took one look at the crowd at the Uffizi and said not this trip. Apparently many people have stayed away from France this year after the incidents - and gone to Italy instead
I think that PWMTrav has the right idea...

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
And that's why I always go in Jan/Feb
Originally Posted by offerendum
In German many peoply classify LH-service as follows: Kurz davor, dass man sich beschweren möchte (Almost at the point where you want to complain). So I´m not really surprised
Danke offerendum. I'm just feeling it anymore for LH. I think my last positive LH experience was a couple of years ago when the cute blonde FA on my FRA-DEN flight told me "I'll be in Denver for 2 nights and I'm staying at the downtown Marriott".

Originally Posted by 1P
Bad luck on the rotten flight, SFO777. And that wine list generally looks pretty substandard for 1st Class. I'm flying LH paid biz from MUC to ORD later this month and will see how that goes. (It's so much cheaper going that way from LHR than direct on UA...— it's on a UA ticket)
Thanks 1P.

Originally Posted by our_kid
Another great TR SFO777 thank you!
I am glad I decided not to collect M&M or get a Lufty Credit Card off the back of that review
Originally Posted by IncaTrails
My exact feeling. And yes, thank you SFO77 for another great TR. Happy 2017 to you all!
Thanks very much our_kid and IncaTrails.

Originally Posted by 757
Another great report so far, SFO777. I'm looking forward to seeing photos from the rest of your trip. Sorry to hear about your flight with LH F being not as good as before. Those lights from the galley do look really bright from your photos!
Thank you 757. The galley lights seem especially bright when cabin lights are dimmed. I kept thinking that this is just like AA.

Originally Posted by Madone59
I can not believe they have the same starters two years later!! I was reading your TR like "Wait a second....why do I recognize that food?!" They were serving the exact same things two years ago on my SEA-FRA flight.
Judging by your thoughts and what I wrote at the time I think LH is at the bottom off the 'hill'. My remarks were: A trio of appetizers, all of which were great. Salmon tartar was brilliant. ..............but that could have been the Blue Label typing .
As always, thanks for the Trip Report!
Thanks very much Madone59. Yes, that Blue Label will cause you to see things in a different light.

Originally Posted by MikeFly
I just flew back from LHR - ORD on BA (F). SFO777 based on your LH comments, I really hope you find an alternative to BA if your experience will be anything like what I experienced.
High(low)lights:
- CCR as detailed in many posts (power points, furniture, catering, service, spa services, toilets etc) The Samsung people walked up and gave me a nice multi adaptor - which I actually needed - so that was good.
- Catering on board
- Dine on Demand that is not (I wanted a scone - No! We serve that 1 hour prior to landing!)
- Slippers are only for night flights
- they did keep the galley curtain closed - easier to ignore everyone in the cabin that way.
etc.
Ouch. Thanks MikeFly for the encouraging preview. That MLA-DXB-LAX EK option is starting to look pretty right now.

Originally Posted by chongl
That black Rimowa looks beautiful! Not quite a fan of my green one...wanna trade? Fantastic report as always
Thanks very much chongl.

Originally Posted by sriegert
yikes that beef looks scary. i dont suppose it would help to write to LH?
I've found that writing to LH is an exercise in frustration and/or futility.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Nice report and I am glad you "reprimanded' the attendant, some just think they can get away with poor service.
Thanks djjaguar64. If I'd been thinking more, I should have said something earlier to the purser. But she was part of the problem anyway.

Originally Posted by Pjack94
Sounds like the the BA economy service standard is moving towards the front
Not sure it was that bad.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
You make me so reticent to book LH F!
Hopefully OS C will be good ex-LAX despite the poor business class seats. Hopefully the food/service will be better...
Thanks MatthewLAX. It's just not that good anymore and not even close to AF. Agree with you on OS and even LO which both start LAX service in a few months. Are you going to try either?

Originally Posted by NashVegas37206
What a disappointing flight experience to start! Very excited to learn where you go/what you do in Rome as we were just there with my 8 month old before Christmas. Italy does not disappoint, in my experience. I imagine your schedule will be different; ours revolved around bath time. Malta is on my list; never been; and equally excited to see your choices. Thank you for sharing as always.
Thank you very much NashVegas37206.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Great to read another trip report from you!

A family member has recently had to start flying LH and absolutely hates it and they would rather take a detour to fly with anyone else but them even though they LH have the quickest route.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:46 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Great report (as expected).

I flew LH F some 3 weeks ago from FRA to MEX and I liked it. The F/A's were really nice.

It was a different story on the way back in C. I am not sure how they can compete with such the mediocre (let my feet meet your feet: https://www.google.pl/search?q=lh+74...yc1aP8lYJEM%3A) product.

PS. The pictures are not mine, I just googled them out...
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: points traveller
remind me again how you book LH SFO777? 1st class lounge/terminal is still on my bucket list, although disappointing to hear about the in air service decline.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:19 am

An amazing location for your hotel in the middle of Rome, SFO777, such beautiful views from your 6th floor suite out onto the Spanish Steps and the city skyline.

Some very photogenic and tasty looking food at Moma too, maybe LH can learn a thing or two from them.

Looking forward to Malta.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, B.A. Silver, Virgin Atlantic Gold, C.X. Diamond
"A Bose Moment" - Love this!! Need to use this term more in my trip reports!

Happy New Year btw! Look forward to the rest of the report

LL
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
Danke offerendum. I'm just feeling it anymore for LH. I think my last positive LH experience was a couple of years ago when the cute blonde FA on my FRA-DEN flight told me "I'll be in Denver for 2 nights and I'm staying at the downtown Marriott".
I guess she is the all time favourite FA of Mre SFO777
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Great report, I stay at the Hassler a couple of times a year as I have a client not far from there. I have to agree that their pricing policy can be generally quite random. Whilst not venturing into the higher suite categories, you can, not infrequently, get some real bargains for a hotel of this calibre.

I am starting to feel that the lobby is becoming a bit shopping mall-y or maybe I'm just getting a bit older! When I was there in November, I was actually approached by some bloke trying to flog some designer nonsense.

However, I think I'm addicted to those little trays of afternoon cakes with their great coffee - the cappuccino canoli type thing is the food of the Gods - and this makes up for a lot.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel

Very much looking forward to the BA installment. Popcorn is on order.
My thoughts exactly.

If I understand your itinerary correctly, SFO777, you'll be flying BA's sub-Y legroom J cabin from Malta to LHR, so I imagine you'll have some comments on that. (Though, semi-seriously, perhaps you should opt for exit row Y?)

Also looking forward to your impressions of Malta, as it's on our bucket list.

In the meantime, happy trails!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jan 4, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Great report - looking forward to the rest!

Just my opinion, I'm not sure what to think about the matching wallpaper, nightstands, headboard and upholstery in the Hassler suite...it kind of makes me dizzy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.