Wiki Posts
Search

travel day fiasco!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2002, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
travel day fiasco!

Well I know many of you FTers can top this one, but last Thursday was the travel day from hell for us! I couldn't resist filling you in.

Three of us traveling - me, wife and 18-yr old son. He is off to college in Olympia, Wash....too far to drive so we are flying him up along with all his stuff. Other than shipping a foot locker, his stereo and a new computer, we are stuffing everything into six suitcases.

Flying out of Houston on NW (award tix) at 5:30 p.m. last Thursday. Finally get everything packed and off to the airport.

PROBLEM #1. As we are leaving it starts raining. By the time we are to the park&ride shuttle lot, it is raining pretty hard. We get quite damp getting the luggage into the shuttle van.

We are quite a sight dragging 6 big suitcases, 3 carryons and 3 backpacks.

#2. As we check in to NW, we learn that 2 of the bags are overweight. We hadn't had time to weigh them as he was up to the last minute getting everything in. The max is 70 lbs., and one of the bags is 86 lbs. So we are sprawled on the floor, rebalancing the bags. We manage to get everything right...including by putting a big stack of his collector magazines in my backpack (ugh!). So we are able to check in.

#3. A not-so-helpful NW agent stares at our carryon stuff and suggests that we won't be allowed to do that as backpacks no longer are exempt. Our agent doesn't seem to mind, so we press on.

#4. I set off the security scanner with my backpack because of the huge stack of magazines crammed into it...so we have to stop and have it searched.

(NOTE: Fortunately, we were way early, so none of this is stressful...yet.)

#5. We get to the gate, and the rain is getting really hard, then comes lightning. No planes are landing or taking off. Finally they announce that they aren't sure when our flight will be making it in, and it might be wise to start checking on re-booking.

#6. I go to the customer rebooking hotline phone. After being on hold for quite a while, I am told that she really can't do that since the outbound flight hasn't been cancelled yet. So I best check with the gate agent.

SOMETHING GOOD HAPPENS: I get in line to speak to the gate agent. She is very nice and very helpful. Unfortunately the CO nonstop to Seattle is full, but she is able to protect us three seats on American, connecting through Dallas, which would only get us in about 2 hours later than the original NW flight.

#7. The news isn't all good however. Since it is AA and not CO, we must go down to NW baggage claim and collect our six huge bags and truck them over to Terminal A in order to check them with American. Off we go! We wait a while, but finally they all show up. Now to Terminal A.

#8. There is a pretty good line at the American ticket counter. Worst of all, it is moving incredibly slowly. The agents disappear and reappear and everyone appears to be rebooking so it is very slow.

#9. A neighbor in line has a great idea. See if we can book the baggage with the curbside folks and bypass the long line. Worth a try, but since we aren't ticketed yet, it doesn't work.

#10. It takes fully over an hour to get to the AA counter. (We thought we had plenty of time to eat, but we're beginning to wonder.) By the time we get there, our outbound AA flight is now showing delayed, and the counter agent says we will be unable to make our Seattle connection so she cannot book it.

GOOD NEWS: However...she does note that NOW the CO nonstop does indeed show availability so she can protect us on it! It is scheduled to leave in about 45 minutes, so maybe if we hoof it!

#11. The news isn't all good, however. Once again, we must truck with our bags. In fact, we must go back to Terminal B to have NW reissue the ticket (AA can't do that). Meanwhile our flight is due to leave on CO out of Terminal D. Gee whiz.

GOOD NEWS: There is good news in that since the CO express counter is next to NW in B, we can go ahead and check our bags there instead of schlepping them from A to B to D. The NW agent is indeed able to rebook us onto CO, although the clock is ticking.

#12. We get into the CO line to check bags. Again we try the baggage guy to bypass the line of people rebooking flights but it doesn't work...but fortunately this line is moving quicker than AA's.

#13. It looks like there is a chance that we will make it, but then....disaster! Our ticket shows up as being booked on the same day as the travel and sets off major security red flags. Yes, you guessed it. The ticket counter screeners must unpack all six bags. Not your usual travel stuff...mind you...this is our son moving into a dorm. All kinds of little things. Bags packed artfully to get everything in...are now being unpacked and examined. A case with over 100 CD's. A cappucino maker, with jars of cinnamon and vanilla flavoring. All kinds of stuff. The clock is ticking now for sure.

GOOD NEWS: The CO flight is delayed too. Orginally 8:33pm, it now shows as 9:00 and the crew is delayed, so maybe we have a chance. Finally the bags are all packed and checked, and tickets are in hand, and we are ready to run for D.

#14. Of course, we have to re-enter security checkpoint, and again they must go through my backpack, as well as that of my son. We just wait...not so patiently. Ironically, the very same guy is going through my backpack as went through it earlier that afternoon! Well that done...we run for the terminal train, thinking for sure this is in vain. We just make the train...yea!

#15. The gate assignment in D is at the very end. This is the terminal used a lot for international flights, and it is long, long, long. Now we are running. I get ahead of the other two to try to get to the gate before it closes. I see the door is still open, and one person is in line ahead of me. Out of breath, I have made it! Then the gate agent says "Oh, we aren't boarding yet for Seattle!"

GOOD NEWS: I actually have time to run get a little something to eat before we get on the plane.

#16. We are all again selected for random screening before boarding, and it's back through the bags, shoes off, etc.....but at this point, who cares?!

GOOD NEWS: We make it on. The plane leaves Houston almost an hour late, but we make it to Seattle.

BONUS GOOD NEWS #1: Because of switching from a connection to a nonstop, we actually arrive in Seattle only 40 minutes later than originally scheduled.

BONUS GOOD NEWS #2: Best of all, by moving from NW to CO I give them our Onepass numbers, and we get mileage credit. (NW tix were award tix...so no mileage credit.)

Just another day in the life of a FTer.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I am pleased that it all turned out well for you. I also hate to sound unsympathetic, but when I went to college not so long ago, all I brought were two large suitcases. Did your son really need a cappucino maker and his magazine collection? He's not migrating to Chad, you know.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 8:55 pm

Hm... going to SEA, I wonder if they sell coffee makers up there? Any problem getting the kid's bong through security. Back in the 1980 when I went off to college I carried mine onboard more than once with no problems. :-)
Old Sep 23, 2002, 9:21 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Bless your heart - I got exhausted just reading of your terrible day, and I am EXP over at AA.

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles.

So sincerely glad to hear you finally made it to SEA. Lord, you must have literally collapsed onto your flight.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:10 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Watchful, I feel for you. While I don't have nearly as much luggage as my housemates, I'm always swamped with luggage. My housemates' family brings 8 full suitcases after summer and winter breaks. Our closets are all full. My room is used to store THEIR stuff as well.

I don't know how you and your family survived this disaster. Get a lot of rest. And good luck to your son! College is fun, as you know...
Old Sep 24, 2002, 3:50 am

I thought men were supposed to travel light (even when going away for college...)?

I don't think I took that much stuff to college with me (I am a woman and went to college an hour drive from my home - and no, I didn't go home much...)

Glad you survived it (and in good humour ;-)). Will you have to make the return trip - to pick your son and his belongings up again - at the end of the semester?

Boo
Old Sep 24, 2002, 7:54 am

I go to school thousands of kilometres from home and usually only take two (BIG) suitcases plus carry-on. I find that it is easier to buy things like cappuccino machines and jars of cinnamon and vanilla flavouring once I get here (and store them for the summer). And my magazine collection stays at home. But, whatever...
Old Sep 24, 2002, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta Slymiles
I packed the Datsun 810 so full and made it to college with everything I amassed to that date. It was kissing family goodbye, my freedom. I took everything I owned with me. I have not returned home to live since... If that was what he was doing more power to him. If he was going to come home every summer for 2 months well then I dunno...

Mykal
Old Sep 24, 2002, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Three letters.

UPS

Old Sep 24, 2002, 11:47 pm

I too flew out of Houston on that day to Newark and had a rough go of it (though I can't complain too much since I was up front in the BF cabin). Our scheduled departure was pushed back two hours due to a mx issue with the 777 we were on. The plane finally shows up at our gate, but apparantly all 200 passengers needed assistance getting on board as there was a mad rush to the plane. I have never seen anything like it (well...in America at least). So I wait to board and finally settle into my BF seat, 8A.

Once we finally pushback, it starts to rain. As we taxi out to the runway, it starts to pour. All of the sudden we are stuck in a monsoon that doesn't let up for a long time. Only after 1 hour and 45 minutes are the first class passengers offered our pre-flight beverage (water). The captain was very informative about the storm, which was a welcome surprise as the rest of the flight crew was one of the least attentive and friendly crews I have ever had. We finally took off around 5 hours after our scheduled departure.

I sure felt bad for people on the other planes at the end of the line. I counted at least 36 planes waiting to takeoff when we did.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TESC? My Alma Mater

Omnia Extares!

birdstrike
Old Sep 25, 2002, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Actually it will eventually be one of those funny stories for telling and retelling...one day!

Couple o' things...

The #1 son is an artistic type. The magazines are his "I gotta have" copies of the NY Times magazine design issues. (No, I don't get it either!)

The cappucino maker? Only reason it went is that it was the graduation gift from his aunt and uncle. (I suggested they delay the gift and ship it...but you know how that goes!)

UPS? Well we are all 3 flying up anyway so I am not about to ship the whole load of crap when we can carry six suitcases. We did ship a foot locker and his stereo, and had his computer shipped!

Summer? I expect we will store most of the stuff up there and only bring home the basics.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!
Old Sep 25, 2002, 8:48 am
Original Poster

You bet! He's excited. We learned the Geoduck song at parent orientation.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdstrike:

TESC? My Alma Mater

Omnia Extares!

birdstrike
</font>
Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I too do not feel too much sympathy...everything going on at airports these days (bad security, good security, etc) trying to fly w/ 12 bags seems like it's likely SOMETHING will go wrong. Not weighing bags, not finding out how many carryons are allowed - this seems like it was your responsibility to do before you left.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
dup sorry

[This message has been edited by squeakr (edited 09-26-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.