Search

Jakarta, Medan, Aceh, KL, and Malacca in 4 Days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: GarudaMiles, KrisFlyer, FlyingBlue
Jakarta, Medan, Aceh, KL, and Malacca in 4 Days

Hello friends!

This is a report of my 4 days (November 13-16, 2016) journey between Jakarta (my hometown), Medan, Banda Aceh (capital of Aceh province), Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), and Malacca, acrossing 2 countries, 2 islands and a continent.

I split the report to these parts:
Part 1: Jakarta - Medan by Citilink (QG-836)
Part 2: Medan - Banda Aceh by bus + short city tour of Banda Aceh
Part 3: Banda Aceh - Kuala Lumpur (KLIA) by AirAsia (AK-422)
Part 4: KLIA to Malacca + Malacca city tour (day 1)
Part 5: Malacca city tour (day 2) + Returning to KLIA
Part 6: Kuala Lumpur - Jakarta by KLM (KL-809)

As usual, there will be more pictures than words, as my English is terrible and don't know too much about aviation terms.

I've also written the report in other web, so don't be surprised if there are similarities.

Any feedbacks are appreciated.

Last edited by anak_negeri; Dec 10, 2016 at 1:48 am
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:08 am
Original Poster

PART 1: Jakarta - Medan by CITILINK QG836, November 13th 2016

CITILINK
Jakarta Soekarno Hatta (CGK) - Medan Kuala Namu (KNO)
November 13th 2016
QG-836
Airbus A320
Reg code: PK-GLO
Dep: 12.50 p.m. (WIB, UTC+7)
Arr: 2.45 p.m. (WIB, UTC+7)

After joining a Sunday Mass at the Cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Jakarta, I walked a little bit to Gambir Station. From there, I hop a Damri bus to the Terminal 1C of Soekarno-Hatta Airport. I arrived at the airport at around 10.45, 90 minutes before boarding.

My flight, Citilink QG836, was scheduled to depart at 12.25 PM.

The 1C terminal was occupied by Citilink, Batik Air, and Aviastar. When I arrived, the check in counters were very crowded, but I did not join the queue as I had done the online check in before.

Here is my boarding pass.

From the check in counters, I went upstairs to the large waiting hall (before the gates).

There was also a food court, but like on majority of world airports, the price was expensive.

At the security check, there was an announcement forbidding passengers to bring their Galaxy Note 7, after some accidents on board involving it.

The way to boarding gates. I would board the aircraft through gate C4.

Gate C4's waiting room.

Waiting for boarding, time to snapshot some interesting sights outside the window.

Citilink with a special "Kapal Api" Coffee's ad.

Finally it was time for me and other passengers to embark. Here is our aircraft bringing us to Medan, with registration code PK-GLO. Better pictures would be captured at Kuala Namu Airport, Medan.

The seat pitch was not really wide, but comfortable enough for 120 minutes flight.

Actually I got the 16E seat, at the middle side. But I requested to a female passenger to move to my seat, as the 16D was also occupied by a woman. Finally, I could seat at the window side.

Our aircraft left the Soekarno-Hatta Airport at around 12.45 p.m. The take-off process was really smooth, without any turbulences. Around 15 minutes later, the seatbelt sign was switched off, and I could move anywhere easily.

Time to check interesting stuffs at the seatpocket.
The safety card.

The "Linkers" magazine.

Inflight shopping catalogue.

Meals catalogue, with food prices and complete explanation of the ingredients and calories. The main big meals priced IDR 50,000 (about USD 3.70) each.

The cabin was full by ads, as usual as in other LCCs.

Then I spent rest of time before arrival watching an episode of Korean drama on my smartphone.

Finally at around 2.45 p.m. the aircraft landed smoothly and safely in Kuala Namu International Airport.

There were 2 small aircrafts. Can you tell me what types are they?
This was operated by Susi Air, a small-scale carrier owned by current Minister of Maritime Affairs, Mrs Susi Pudjiastuti.

Nam Air, Lion Air, and Indonesia AirAsia.

A Bombardier CRJ of Garuda Indonesia. As I remember, the aircraft serves Medan-Sibolga-Jakarta route.

ATR 72s of Wings Air and Garuda Indonesia.

And finally we left the Citilink aircraft and it was time to say goodbye.

The way to the airport's main area.

Luggage carousel. Well, I did not have any item to claim here, as I did not check any luggage.

Other snapshots of the airport terminal. Personally for me, the airport was far better than Soekarno-Hatta Airport.

Then I took a bus to the central area of Medan city.

The airport bus arrived at Plaza Medan Fair, a large shopping complex. I entered the plaza and had some relax at a "snack bar" there.

From the plaza, I went to Jalan Pagaruyung, a street containing food stalls. I picked "Mi Rebus", an Indian-style noodle, as my dinner today. Jalan Pagaruyung was located in an Indian (Tamil) enclave area; there was also a Tamil-style Hindu temple.

From Jalan Pagaruyung, I ride a motorbike taxi to the Sempati Star bus station. Then I boarded the nice Sempati Star double-decker bus to Banda Aceh at 9.00 p.m. The journey took about 10.5 hours. The bus was very comfortable, with personal AVOD screens on each seat.

Last edited by anak_negeri; Dec 9, 2016 at 4:51 am
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:40 am
Original Poster

PART 2: Arrival at Banda Aceh + Short City Tour, November 14th 2016

The Sempati Star bus arrived at Banda Aceh's Batoh bus station at 8.00 a.m.

From there, I took a "becak" (motorbike trishaw) to the homestay where I would spend a night in the city. Its name was "Wisma Tsacita", located in Peunayong, Banda Aceh's Chinatown.

I slept there for around 4 hours, then I had a short city tour of Banda Aceh, capital of Aceh Province.

The province was the only province in Indonesia legally implementing Islamic law, after the MoU between Indonesian government and Gerakan Aceh Merdeka (GAM, a separatist group at that time) mediated by former Finnish president Mr Martti Ahtisaari in 2005. A year before that, the region was devastated by massive earthquake and tsunami in Indian Ocean, killing more than 150.000 people.

Aceh region now has been recovered and life has became normal. As an Islamic region, you won't find pubs, bars, liquors, and cinemas there (the only "cinema" is in Tsunami Museum, showing a documentary of 2004 Tsunami). But people from other religions (Christians, Buddhists, etc) can live peacefully.

Peunayong, Chinatown of Banda Aceh. Some of the stalls and kiosks were owned by Chinese Indonesians.

A Chinese Buddhist temple in Peunayong. Don't worry, it was not Nazi symbol, but the "swastika".

Having lunch at Mie Razali, a restaurant selling Acehnese-style noodles. Our president Mr Joko Widodo also came and ate here during his visit to Banda Aceh.

Then I walked to Masjid Baiturrahman, Aceh's largest mosque. It was not only a worshipping place, but a symbol of Islamic Aceh and their heroic spirit while fighting Dutch colonization in the beginning of 20th century. It was also a safest place during the 2004 Tsunami.

Unfortunately, it was in renovation when I came there.

Krueng Aceh (Aceh River) and a bridge crossing it.

Gereja Hati Kudus (Church of the Sacred Heart), the only Roman Catholic church in the city. There were also 3 Protestant churches.

Hermes Palace, a small-scale shopping complex, but actually the largest in Aceh.

Syiah Kuala University, owned by Indonesian government.

Trans Koetaradja, the "rapid" city bus, with relatively new fleets donated by Indonesian Transport Ministry. It was FREE (don't know until when ). Other than that, the only public transport was "labi-labi" (shared taxi, similar with "angkot" on other regions in Indonesia).

At night, I picked "Sate Matang", an Acehnese-style beef satay, as my dinner.

Before returning to the guesthouse, I bought some souvenirs at a souvenirs' store. At that time, there were so many Malaysians at the store. I would meet some of them a day later, while on board with AirAsia to Kuala Lumpur.

That's all for November 14th.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:45 am
Original Poster

PART 3: Banda Aceh - Kuala Lumpur by AIRASIA AK422, November 15th 2016

AIR ASIA (Malaysia)
Banda Aceh (BTJ) - Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
November 15th, 2016
AK-422
Airbus A320
Reg code: 9M-AHD
Dep: 8.50 a.m. (WIB / UTC+7)
Arr: 11.10 a.m. (MST / UTC+8)

It was time for me to left the homestay to the Banda Aceh's Sultan Iskandar Muda Airport. The homestay owner offered me a ride with his motorbike. He only requested me IDR 30.000 as a tip. It was far cheaper than taking a taxi to the airport which costed around IDR 90.000.

On the way to the airport, we passed Kuburan Massal Siron, a mass grave containing bodies of victims of the 2004 tsunami.

We reached the airport at 7.30 p.m, a hour before boarding.

Check in counters were not so crowded, and as usual, I did not have any things to do here as I had done online check-in before.

Here is the boarding pass.

The airport had only 10 scheduled flights at the day, and our AirAsia would only the international flight.

Then I went upstairs and I was surprised that there was a long queue for immigration and safety check. Majority of them were Malaysians returning home after visiting the Aceh region. Aceh has becoming more popular to Malaysians.

After the immigration and security check, we waited for boarding. The waiting room was comfortable enough, with some facilities like "Kids Zone" and 4 PCs free to use.

Map of Aceh Province at the waiting area.

Then our aircraft arrived from Kuala Lumpur. The aircraft registration code was 9M-AHD, delivered on October 2007.

On the other side, a Batik Air A320 was ready for departure to Jakarta (Halim Airport).

The airport main building, viewed from the apron side.

Time for boarding.

Entering the aircraft.

Our seat at 9th row.

The seat pitch was similar to other LCCs. Comfortable enough for a 90 minutes journey.

Then the aircraft flew to the sky, leaving the Sultan Iskandar Muda Airport, very smoothly. I could see Seulawah mountain range on the window. Very beautiful.

Not so long after that, the aircraft faced bad weather condition for about 7 minutes. Then the seat belt signs were switched off, and I could open the table.

Cabin condition.

Let's see any stuff in the seat pocket.
Safety card.

3Sixty magazine.

"Rokki", an entertainment portal that could be reached by your handset through their Wi-fi spot on board. I succesfully accessed their portal and watched some videos there.

Shopping catalogue.

"Santan" onboard meals catalogue. At that time, I did not buy any meal offered.

Around 30 minutes before landing. On the window we could see West Malaysian seashore.

Finally the aircraft landed at Kuala Lumpur International Airport smoothly without any problems. From the runway, our aircraft proceed to klia2, the LCC terminal.
There were AirAsiaX A330 aircrafts.

Time to say goodbye to our AirAsia 9M-AHD.

Another AirAsia at its right side.

Final snapshot outside the window.

Way to the main area of the terminal building.

After that, there was immigration check before the baggage area.

From the terminal building, we entered the Gateway KLIA2 mall. Here I bought a Malaysian SIM card.

From the airport, I boarded a Starmart express bus to Malacca. Please read the next post for details.

Last edited by anak_negeri; Dec 9, 2016 at 4:51 am
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Part 4: KLIA to Malacca + Malacca city tour (day 1), November 15th 2016

I boarded the Starmart bus at 12.45 p.m. Then we arrived in Mahkota Medical Centre, Malacca, at 3.00 p.m.

From the bus stop, I walked a little bit to Sayang Selalu Guest House where I would spend a day there. On the way to the guest house, there were 2 large shopping complexes, Mahkota Parade and Dataran Pahlawan, facing each other.

Mahkota Parade.

Dataran Pahlawan.

Menara Taming Sari, a sightseeing tower. Named after the powerful "keris" (traditional Malay dagger) of Malacca Sultanate.

And this is the Sayang Selalu Guest House. ("Sayang selalu" in Malay & Indonesian means "always loving").

After checked in, I took a rest for only 30 minutes. Then I continued the sightseeing. But before that, I had my lunch at a small restaurant close to the guesthouse.

We entered the historical zone of Malacca. It's classified as World Heritage Site by UNESCO, containing buildings of Portuguese, Dutch, British, and Peranakan (Strait Chinese) heritage.

This sentence means "Welcome to the Historical Malacca City"

"Stadhuys" (state hall, behind the tower) and the Christ Church, both built by Dutch colony.

Saint Paul Hill, with a currently unused Church of St Paul.

Statue of St Paul the Apostle.

Beautiful view of Malacca from St Paul Hill.

Independence Memorial.

"A Famosa" fortress.

Malacca Palace. It's a replica, the real palace had been destroyed when the Malacca Sultanate was defeated by Portuguese army. At that time it had been closed, so we would explore the "palace" the day after that.

Walking too long made me so tired and exhausted, so I decided to take a rest in a "chendol" stall at the riverside. "Chendol" is a dessert popular in Malaysia and Indonesia. Sorry, I can't describe this dessert with words, but it's really delicious. Must try.

The Malacca River.

Accross Malacca River from the Stadhuys, we entered Jonker Walk. The "walk" was full with shops, occupying traditional Straits Chinese buildings.

Not so far from Jonker Walk, there was "Jalan Tokong" (Temple Street). The street described an inter-religious harmony in Malaysia, with a Hindu Temple, a mosque (Masjid Kampung Kling), and a Chinese Temple (Cheng Hoon Teng) located on the same street.

Baba Nyonya Heritage Museum. It had been closed when I came, and the entrance fee was expensive.

Time for dinner. I walked to Pak Putra Restaurant, selling North Indian foods. I ordered a plate of Chicken Tandoori and Naan bread. Very delicious.

Then I returned to the guest house, and time to sleep.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Part 5: Malacca city tour (day 2) + Returning to KLIA, November 16th 2016

While enjoying a free breakfast served in the guesthouse, I checked the position of KLM aircraft which would take me to Jakarta that day.

After breakfast, I explored the Malacca Palace Replica. It contained historical items of Malacca Sultanate (traditional swords, knifes, costumes, etc). There were also replicas describing stories happened at the Sultanate's era.

"Balairung Seri" (audience hall)

Hang Tuah and Hang Jebat.

Chinese traders.

Traditional swords and knifes.

Tengkolok (headgear), worn by Malay king/sultan. All 9 sultanates of Malaysia have different tengkolok's styles.

The royal musicians group.

Then I returned to the guesthouse for check out. After check out, I had my lunch at "Asam Pedas Selera Kampung", a Malay restaurant.

Time to go to KLIA Airport. From the city, I boarded the "Panorama Melaka" city bus, and arrived in Melaka Sentral to hop the Starmart Express bus to KLIA.

It took 2.5 hours from Melaka Sentral to KLIA.

Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Part 6: Kuala Lumpur - Jakarta by KLM (KL809), November 16th 2016

KLM
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) - Jakarta Soekarno Hatta (CGK)
November 16th, 2016
KL-809
Boeing 777-200ER
Reg code: PH-BQD "Darjeeling Railway"
Dep: 17.25 (UTC+8)
Arr: 18.00 (UTC+7)

The Starmart bus arrived on KLIA Bus Stand at 4.00 p.m. There were 50 minutes before boarding.

The departure hall with check-in counters.

KLM's counter. For this trip, I did not done the online check in. Why? Because the KLM's boarding pass was special for me, so I had to have it printed at the airport.

Then I proceed to the immigration and safety checks. After that, we were welcomed by these unique miniatures.

The main terminal.

We would board the aircraft through gate C3, and it was in the satellite building. So we had to take the aerotrain to reach there.

Here are some snapshots taken from the aerotrain.
KLIA was the main hub of Malaysia Airlines, national flag-carrier, and Malindo Air, while AirAsia was operating from KLIA2.

Then we arrived at the satellite terminal.

Gate C3 had been opened to all KL809 passengers. There was a long queue for security check.

At its left side was gate C1, boarding gate of Saudia to Jeddah.

Our aircraft had landed from Amsterdam. It was waiting for departure to Jakarta, final destination of KL809 flight.
PH-BQD "Darjeeling Railway", Boeing 777-200ER.

Passengers waiting for boarding. Some of them departed from Amsterdam. There were also Indonesians (like me) returning home from Malaysia, and also some Malaysians.

Time for boarding. We were welcomed by friendly cabin crews.
Passing the business class. I wonder when will I have a chance to sit there.

The economy class.

My seat, 39E. At my left side was an Indonesian lady, while my right side was vacant.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take picture of the seat pitch.

I was surprised that this aircraft was 13 years old but it was really like 1 or 2. Very fresh and well-maintained. All equipments and facilities were working well.

All passengers had embarked, and the safety instructions video was shown through the IFE screen. An interesting animation video.

The aircraft then started to fly at 5.25 p.m. (GMT+8). The take-off process was very smooth and without any turbulences. The IFE was switched off until around 5 minutes after the take-off. It was different with my KLM experience on July 2016, where we could enjoy the IFE while waiting to take-off.

Let's check the stuffs inside the seatpocket.
Safety card.

An unique disposal bag.

"Holland Herald" magazine.

"Sky High" shopping catalogue.

The audio headset.

Cabin condition was very clean and fresh.

Then the IFE was switched on.

I connected my flash drive to the IFE, and it successfully read and play MP3 files in my drive.

Then the cabin crews started giving me and other passengers a snack. I don't know the name until today. The snack's paper bag only showed that it was "Veggie".
I also requested a cup of orange juice.

Not so long after that, the aircraft entered a bad weather condition for around 5 minutes. The location was at the southern side of Bangka Island.

After that brief small scale turbulence, the condition turned back to normal, then I checked the lavatory. Very clean.

34 minutes before landing.

Smoothly and safely, our Boeing 777-200ER aircraft landed at Soekarno-Hatta Airport. While landing, the IFE was not turned off. I also did not realize that the aircraft had landed.

Time to say goodbye. It was really short trip, only 1 hour 40 minutes.

KLM was parked at the left side of Turkish Airlines.

There was also a Boeing 777-300ER of Garuda Indonesia, just landed from London (Heathrow).

Way to the main terminal area.

After the immigration checks, we proceed to the baggage carousel.

Outside the arrival area.

Finally I left the airport by bus to Gambir Station.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Finally completed.

Thanks for reading. Any feedbacks are appreciated.

I will write the total cost later.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, KFEG
Thanks for posting, good to see familiar sights :-)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dctravels74
Thanks for posting, good to see familiar sights :-)
Thanks for your comment, Sir.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:41 pm

Another great TR by you! It seems that you managed to visit many places and attractions within few days. Something that not many other travelers can do. ^
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El Regina
Another great TR by you! It seems that you managed to visit many places and attractions within few days. Something that not many other travelers can do. ^
Thanks for your comment. Actually I didn't do any planning during my visit, except for the flight tickets and hotel bookings.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:38 pm

Nice report and your English is very good.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by standby my man
Nice report and your English is very good.
Thanks for your appreciation.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:12 am

Nice TR. Thanks for posting.

It seems like a very quick, but rewarding trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.