Search

The Princess Goes To London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2002, 10:16 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The Princess Goes To London

Friday, April 12

I left the client site around are 5PM to take the train into London. Unlike Chexfan, All I did not want to do was drive on the left hand side of the road, so I had one of my colleagues drop me off at the train station in Chester.

From Chester I took a 20 minute train ride to Crewe, which apparently some sort of medieval hub. I had about 30 minute wait before my connecting train to London arrived. There is a little pub and sandwich shop inside. I decided a pastry and latte would tide me over till dinner in London.

The train ride from Crewe to London Euston Station was about 2 hours and uneventful, there was no one sitting next to me, which made the ride very pleasant. We were about 15 minutes late leaving Crewe and we didn’t make it up along the way so we were about 15 minutes late getting into London Euston.

I had heard that London traffic was a nightmare, so I decided to hop on the Tube and check into my hotel. I was pretty proud of myself for getting on the right train, without getting lost and not looking too much like a tourist. The hotel was about 2 blocks from the Underground station.

I arrived at my hotel, The Park Lane Hotel by Sheraton, and was hoping for a quick check in so I could run up and change clothes before meeting some fellow flyertalkers for dinner and drinks. The desk clerk informs me I have been upgraded to a suite since I am a Starwood Platinum. I say thank you and ask if it is non-smoking. She says no, so I said I would rather just have a non smoking room even if it is not a suite. She informs me there are no non smoking rooms left. So I take the keys and said that I would go up and see if the room (Suite 648) was not too smoky. Well as you walked in the door the smoke will just overwhelm you. It was not a very nice room either. When you walked in the entryway of the suite you had three doors. One to the bedroom, one to the bathroom, which did have a corner Jacuzzi tub and one to what looked like another bedroom but was actually the living room. The living room was crowded with a sofa and a chair and a work desk. The bedroom had two twin beds. My platinum amenity was waiting in that room. It consisted of a small box of blueberry raisins, kind of strange if you ask me. Well this just wasn’t going to work, so I took my amenity and headed back down to the desk. They were going to have to find a non smoking room. The desk clerk said there was nothing she could do but I could talk to her supervisor. So over to the supervisor I go, he starts clicking a way on the keyboard. He finally finds a non smoking room for me, but says it is on the 1st floor, would that be all right? Sounds all right to me.

So up I go again looking for my new suite. I have never actually been assigned a suite with a name at any other Starwood property before, so this was a first. I was in Suite 151, the Tyburn. There was a large entryway with a closet to the left. In front of you were a set of large glass French doors that led to the living room. The living room had a fireplace, couch, two big sofa chairs, a work desk stocked with supplies, and a fax machine. The bedroom had a king size bed and a big chair with ottoman. The bathroom was quite large with a bidet.

I had read that a lot of Flyertalkers really love this hotel, and maybe my expectations were a bit high, but I was not impressed with this hotel. The common areas were nicely decorated, but I felt even my suite was a bit tired feeling and could use a bit of updating. My rate was dirt cheap, so I really cant complain (124 GBP + VAT, includes breakfast).

At this point I was now running way behind for meeting up with fellow flyertalkers for dinner because of the train running late and then little room fiasco. So I quickly change clothes and head out to dinner.

After a few wrong directions I finally found The Cork & Bottle, 44 Cranbourne St., in Leicester Square. When I arrived WHBM, Kitty Hawk, and SarahWest were already there. After polishing off 2 bottles of wine and eating dinner it was getting late, so we all parted ways around midnight. WHBM was kind enough to walk me back to my hotel, chivalry is not dead.

Saturday, April 13

Since I had stayed out later than expected the night before, I was not as quick to rise in the morning than I had planned. I woke around 8:30AM and headed down to breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Regular price was 19.00GBP. I don’t think it was worth the 19 GBP but since it was included it wasn’t bad and got me off to a good start.

After breakfast I cut through Hyde Park, which is directly in front of the hotel to catch the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace. I positioned myself write in front of the gates, per my guide book, and waited for the show. I took out my camera and realized I only had 4 pictures remaining on the roll, and there wasn’t a film vendor in site. I guess I won’t be taking many pictures here.

The ceremony was interesting and included a marching band, a parading band of bag pipers, and several ceremonial military units. The ceremony was interesting and I am glad I can now say I have been, but I am not sure I would want to see it again. I think I will add that to the “Been There, Done That” list.

The next stop, on the Rachel does London tour is Westminster Abbey. I found a little souvenir stand selling film postcards, so that solved the film issue. I also picked up a few postcards here as well.

Outside of Westminster were many wreaths laid in tribute to the Queen Mother. I then headed inside for the tour of the Abbey. The first sign I see is “No photography inside the Abbey.” I am so glad I went out of my way to stop and get film. The Abbey was beautiful and contained so much history, I barely felt like I had time to see half of it.

The day was progressing on quickly, and I need to make it to Harrods before closing. I hopped on the Tube and headed over to the Knightsbridge station. There were people everywhere and I kind of felt like I was in a Disney World gift shop. Practically the whole 1st floor was nothing but touristy type items with Harrods stamped all over them. I walked around for over an hour. Probably the best part of Harrods are the food halls. There were all kinds of fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, etc., but there were also lots of little areas where you could have a counter style lunch, each with a different specialty, There was a chocolate bar, a cheese bar, a sushi bar, and many more I can’t remember. I made one last stop at the Dodi and Diana Memorial in the store and decided it was time to head back to the hotel for nap and shower before dinner.

I walked back to the hotel just enjoying the sights and the sounds of the city, but was glad when I made it back to the hotel since I was really tired from a long day of walking. I rested for about an hour before mauld called my room and asked if I was going to be joining everyone for drinks and dinner that evening. We made plans to meet in the lobby around 6:30PM and we would head over to the bar together. My one hour nap was so brief, but my shower helped me feel rejuvenated and I was ready for an evening out.

Mauld and I took the Tube to the Charring Cross Station and walked over to the The Coal Hole, 91 The Strand. This was a quaint little pub. WHBM and Kitty Hawk were already there. Shortly after we were arrived, Matthew Van Dam joined us. By this time I was starving, I had not eaten since breakfast that morning. We headed across the street to an Italian restaurant for dinner. The evening passed by quickly with a bottle of chianti with dinner. It was getting late once again, I was tired and mauld had an early morning flight to catch and I had a lot of sight seeing left to do tomorrow, so we bid our fellow flyertalkers good bye and caught a taxi back to the hotel. I don’t think I was in bed more than two minutes before I was sound asleep.

Sunday, April 14

The alarm went off at 8:30AM but I didn’t actually get up till 9AM so once again I wasn’t up and ready “on schedule.” I can adjust. I got ready for the day and packed my bags, since I was leaving that evening. I made up time by skipping the big breakfast at the hotel and heading over to the Tube station. I grabbed a latte and a danish from a coffee shop and was on my way.

My first stop of the day was Tower of London. People were everywhere. It turns out the London Marathon passes just outside the Tower of London. The crowds were probably 10 deep in the area. I bought my ticket for the tour and proceeded in. This turned out to be really great timing. From just inside the tower you have a perfect view of the marathon and I had a front row view just as the top elite runners are passing. I snapped a picture, one of the few I will have from this trip.

The next guided tour was just starting so I joined in ready to snap away with the camera as the Beefeater tour guide pointed out the interesting bits of history. The tour guide points out interesting history spot so I go to take a picture and nothing happens other than the low battery light coming on. Once again, Rachel will have no pictures for this portion of her trip. The guided tour took just over an hour and then you were free to wander the grounds on your own.

I was getting hungry by this point so I headed over to the café and had a hot turkey sandwich. I also wanted to let the first wave of my tour group head over to see the Crown Jewels before I headed to that part of the tour. The crown jewels are truly a sight to see. I only wish they would let me try one on. I am sure I would look just smashing in a crown, after all I am a princess. One more stop at the gift shop for some post cards and my tour of London Tower was drawing to a close. I sat down in the courtyard and wrote out my postcards so that I could mail them before leaving London.

My last stop before heading back to the hotel to collect my luggage is Piccadilly Circus. This is like the Times Square of London. I walked around and took in the sights, but then decided I should probably head back to the hotel and get my luggage since my train back to Chester would be leaving in about an hour and half.

I hopped on the Tube one last time to head back to London Euston Station. The station was full of people, especially a lot of Brits who were heading back home after participating in the marathon. They were all wearing marathon shirts or apparel.

For an extra 15GBP you could upgrade your ticket for the train ride home to first class. Since there seemed to be a lot of people, I decided to splurge and spend the extra money to ride in peace and quiet. The train ride home was uneventful. I practically had the entire car to myself. I stretched out and read the book I bought about the Crown Jewels that afternoon. During the train ride, the attendant came around with complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, snacks, and sandwiches. If I would have known sandwiches would be offered in FC I would have not bought one in the train station but a minor inconvenience, I was really paying for the peace and quiet.

The train ride back to Chester was just under 3 hours and arrived on time. I hopped in a cab back to my hotel, The Chester Grosvenor, and was out like a light in no time.

Overall my trip to London was a really nice time. I would definitely go back, since I barely scratched the surface of things to do in London. This ends the first in the series The Princess goes to ….(fill in city name). I am thinking about Amsterdam or Barcelona for my next weekend excursion.

------------------
Rachel
CO - Platinum
Hilton - Diamond
SPG - Platinum

[This message has been edited by prncess674 (edited 04-15-2002).]
Old Apr 15, 2002, 11:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Thanks for the trip report.

I haven't been back to that side of the pond in quite a while. I am one of those FTrs who likes the Park Lane, I think more because of its great location across from the park and the Underground than for its room.

I had breakfast in the downstairs restaurant once, and for the $$ it cost, never again. There is a nice restaurant/bar to the left of the hotel (when facing the park) sort of towards the Green Park station that is always crowded in the afternoon/evening that serves a nice little english breakfast for a pretty decent price.
Old Apr 16, 2002, 6:45 am

Princess,

If you make it to A'Dam in the coming weeks let me know. Just make sure you are nice and rested before you get here as I have not had a Friday or Saturday night that ended before 0300 since I moved here...

Old Apr 16, 2002, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Great Report.

I have made the Chester to London train run many many times, having lived in Chester for two months. I don't understand why the trains must change in Crewe, but they always do. I didn't realize upgrading those tickets could be that cheap.

Chris
Old Apr 17, 2002, 2:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
The Changing of the Guard ceremony is probably only interesting to those who are aware of the background of the ceremony.

Each company "stands guard" for 24 hours, and the ceremony is the handover of responsibility to the next company.

The sergeants collect the guards from their posts, the officer of the guard shows the new officer of the guard the perimeter for which he is responsible, etc. The new guard then assumes responsibility, and the guards from the company assuming duty are posted...

I assume that one who is not familiar with the event finds it a bit boring.

[This message has been edited by eMailman (edited 04-17-2002).]
Old Apr 17, 2002, 3:25 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

eMailman

I was well aware of the ceremony protocol and the meaning behind it before attending the ceremony. However, I do stand my ground that once you have seen it you probably don't want to waste another 2 hours to see it again.

I am still adding it to my list of "Been There, Done That, Don't want to do it again"
Old Apr 17, 2002, 3:39 am

Programs: Nowt
Hi Princess, glad to see you got back ok. I had no idea that you were based in the UK, I assumed that you were just visiting the UK, not just visiting London.

I agree about the changing of the guard, having been to see it a number of times when showing people around the UK, and being throughly bored by it now.

I did get lucky once, when some loon ran through the gate, and tried to get across the courtyard. I think a lot of people think the royal guard are just for show, but believe me, they can shift when they have to, and they were all over this guy in seconds. Guess who forgot a camera!

Take care and maybe see you down this way again.

Matt
Old Apr 17, 2002, 2:12 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Hi Princess, if in AMS this weekend, let us know, coming in friday at noon, leaving on sunday, heard that The Supper Club is good..
Old Apr 18, 2002, 11:39 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
prncess674, very interesting report about the Sheraton and London.

I assume that you pre-booked a non-smoking room?! I share your "hassle" to get a non-smoking room. (I prefer to get a small room on a non-smoking floor instead a big suite.)
Old Apr 19, 2002, 8:14 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Wonderful report Rachel, and it was great meeting up with you and the other FT'ers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.