Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kathykathy
DanielW - what a fantastic Trip Report. Your detail and photos really made one feel they were along on your journey! Food looked tremendous (except for the rabbit). Emirates business was impressive - my experiences on other airlines were far less grand!
Thank you, kathykathy. Yes, some very tasty food, the poutine looked pretty dangerous for my waistline though. Emirates business was a great experience too, just had to keep telling myself though not to get too used to it.
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Canadian War Museum charges quite a steep admission. These national-level museums should be free like in other countries!
Yes, I think it was $15 + taxes. Annoying too is that the price is quoted as $15 but then they add the taxes on top, not sure why they can't just quote the after-tax price.
Originally Posted by SFO777
DanielW, thank you for another fabulous report, great pics and narrative.
It was nice to see a visitor's perspective of my old home town of Montréal.
Many thanks, SFO777. Montreal was definitely one of the highlights of the trip, only wished I could have stayed longer!
Originally Posted by makin'miles
What a wonderful report. Your photographs are outstanding... I very much appreciated seeing my home through new eyes. Thank you!
Thanks, makin'miles. A very beautiful and interesting country, no wonder Canadians are so relaxed and friendly.
Originally Posted by atsak
This was great - I really enjoy reading other people's trip reports of areas that I frequent day to day. Sorry to hear about the gas / petrol situation near the airport for the rental car. They are nearby but it's not at all intuitive how to get to them since it's pretty much direct highway right into the terminals.
Thank you, atsak. The traffic was backed up in a few places due to roadworks so I was delaying fueling up until I got reasonably close to Toronto. I was a bit tired after being up since 4am and all the driving and it was getting close to the flight time back to Dubai so just opted to return it with a half-full tank. Worked out in the end though.
Originally Posted by capedreamer
As a big fan of your TRs and a transplanted Canadian from Ottawa who's spent ample time in all four cities, I absolutely LOVED this one. Despite the short trip duration, I think you captured the essence of this region beautifully. If you ever plan to spend a bit more time in Ottawa and would like some restaurant recommendations, hit me up!
Thanks, capedreamer. My conference plans weren't confirmed until 3-4 days before I left, so it was a bit of a last minute rush to plan/book the non-work part of the trip. It panned out reasonably well though, although I will definitely have to head back and see all the things I missed.
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
DanielW - congratulations on your first trip to Canada. Despite a short trip, you certainly got in the most of what eastern Canada has to offer. I ate at Le Lapin Saute on my last visit to Quebec City in 2001 and I'm happy to see that it's still running.

I also have to commend you for getting these trip reports up in one shot - it takes me weeks to get my act together!! Thanks for sharing.

If you ever make it to Western Canada (Rocky Mountains and the Pacific Mountain Range) you'll find it quite a bit different than Eastern Canada.
Many thanks, worldtraveller73. Canada has been on my wishlist for quite a while, but figured I needed an extended stay to make the most of it. When the opportunity to go for work came up though, I couldn't resist adding on some sightseeing too.

I like sending my TR's to friends and family so figure they its best to do it all in one go so they don't lose interest/clog up their inboxes.

Definitely want to head back to Western Canada too, pity there's no direct flights from the gulf though.

Originally Posted by frankmu
Your travel reports are always amazing!
Cheers, frankmu.
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Wow!!!

The Canadian Tourist Office should pay you for this great report. I was in Montreal / Toronto 30 years ago and now want to go back all because of your great pictures.

Quebec City is close to where I live but the air fares are steep.May need to use a one way Award.

By the way Rio stock is beginning to do well.

Impressed by your presentation. At least with all the graphs and numbers.
Thank you, Bretteee. Yes, maybe some more tourists from the gulf will hopefully convince them to allow some more flights.

Yes, Quebec city was very beautiful, with the mixture of French and historic culture it was quite a treat.

Got another conference / presentation coming up so will have to practice my hand gesture technique again.
Originally Posted by AndrewE
Having taken the same flight last year, I noticed around that many as well - curiously there were only about 10 wheelchairs waiting upon arrival in DXB ...

Thanks for the report!
Thanks, AndrewE. All the wheelchair passengers was quite a sight. They looked like mostly elderly people rather than permanently disabled.
Originally Posted by mike&co
I am never disappointed reading your reports Daniel. The new camera is definitely producing stunning images. Where next ? Can't be many places left - have you been to Scotland ?
Thank you, mike&co. Scotland is still on my list. Next trip is a little more closer to home though, Bangladesh.
Originally Posted by halfcape
Another fantastic trip report. And the photos! Excellent as always. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Cheers, halfcape. Another couple of TR's coming soon.
Originally Posted by 757
Daniel,

Thank you for sharing another fantastic report with amazing photos as usual. Looks like you had a great trip to Canada! Emirates J also looks quite nice too.

All best,

Cheers, 757. Yes, EK J is something I could definitely get used too.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Very nice pictures of my hometown Toronto and of course overall a beautiful report with very enticing pictures!

Last edited by djjaguar64; Dec 5, 2016 at 2:21 pm
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Glad to see you visiting my hometown. Hope you had a blast! Thanks for this TR and amazing pics as always.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Absolutely superb as always. Your photos really make one feel as if they are there and experiencing it for themselves.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:35 pm

Lovely TR as ever! Where can we expect you to be reporting from next time?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by DanielW
Definitely want to head back to Western Canada too, pity there's no direct flights from the gulf though.
Seattle would be a great base. A beautiful city in itself, with direct floatplane (1 hour) or fast ferry (3 hours) service to downtown Victoria or a scenic train to Vancouver (4 hours).

Fantastic photos!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Another fantastic trip report from you Daniel!

I loved reminiscing at seeing your photos of Toronto - its been too long since I was there but hopefully we will get back to that wonderful city soon.

Quebec City looks so much different when its nice weather! The time we were there (also in October) it snowed and so was miserable trudging around the city doing a tour with our guide. I couldn't wait to get into a cafe and have a hot chocolate to warm up! The QM2 looked spectacular sitting in the water!

Wow at your lodgings in Ottawa! There didn't look room to swing a cat in there let alone sleep!

I also loved your pics from the air of Niagara, you get a very different view to the one at street level.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Very nice pictures of my hometown Toronto and of course overall a beautiful report with very enticing pictures!
Thank you, djjaguar64. I really enjoyed my short time in Toronto, got to see and experience quite a few very different and interesting places.
Originally Posted by injian
Glad to see you visiting my hometown. Hope you had a blast! Thanks for this TR and amazing pics as always.
Cheers, injian. I will definitely have to come back to Toronto, hopefully when the view from the CN Tower is not so cloudy.
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Absolutely superb as always. Your photos really make one feel as if they are there and experiencing it for themselves.
Thanks, roadwarrier. Great to share my relatively short but very cool trip here with everyone.
Originally Posted by boyerling3
Lovely TR as ever! Where can we expect you to be reporting from next time?
Thank you, boyerling3. Just working on my next TR now, back to Africa again to Eritrea.
Originally Posted by cedric
Seattle would be a great base. A beautiful city in itself, with direct floatplane (1 hour) or fast ferry (3 hours) service to downtown Victoria or a scenic train to Vancouver (4 hours).

Fantastic photos!
Many thanks, cedric. Apparently Emirates is starting a codeshare bus service from Seattle to Vancouver too!
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...quick-shuttle/
Originally Posted by nequine
Another fantastic trip report from you Daniel!

I loved reminiscing at seeing your photos of Toronto - its been too long since I was there but hopefully we will get back to that wonderful city soon.

Quebec City looks so much different when its nice weather! The time we were there (also in October) it snowed and so was miserable trudging around the city doing a tour with our guide. I couldn't wait to get into a cafe and have a hot chocolate to warm up! The QM2 looked spectacular sitting in the water!

Wow at your lodgings in Ottawa! There didn't look room to swing a cat in there let alone sleep!

I also loved your pics from the air of Niagara, you get a very different view to the one at street level.
Thanks, nequine. Quebec while snowing must have been pretty, despite the cold.

The lodgings in Ottawa were definitely a bit claustrophobic, ok for one night but no sure about any longer though!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:47 am

DanielW...fantastic TR. I am biased as i'm from Canada. But really happy to see you do the trip justice with some amazing photos. Makes me want to visit my own country!

Also...I noticed you ate poutine twice. your first description of it as an "interesting experience" made me think you didn't like it. Definitely not an every day thing...but I love the stuff (the tim horton's...not so much).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: IHG Priority Club,Fairmont presidents club,Marriot rewards,SPG,Delta Privalige
Great trip report DanielW, your photo's remind of my trips to Eastern Canada in the past.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: FT
Great pics. Love the dealer using the old school payphone...I am sure the scents in Kensington were not merely bread and great food but lots of weeds being burned.

What is interesting is that you are the pax that AC says don’t exist…those that fly to Canada and apparently AC has managed to convince our former government that EK is just a ferry for business to be taken away from AC…and hence, only 3 flights a week.

Most locals have come and gone from St. Lawrence by 10am (we are usually done and gone by 9…[live about 500m walk to the market…] nice shot of the wedding party outside of St. Pauls Basilica in YYZ…I suspect the waiting list to get married there is also long…. Love seeing all the rio tinto lanyards. Reminds me of a buddy of mine who is senior commercial lawyer for them in London.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
Another fantastic trip report! You always manage to capture the essence of what at least I love about travel; discover new places, seeing interesting sites, people watching, food and so on...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Another wonderful trip report. Thank you DanielW! It's a shame Rio didn't allow photos on your smelter tour though .
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
awesome trip report to a place most of us (like me!) hardly think of as a super cool destination.

Thanks a lot.
T
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:51 am

Quebéc City looks beautiful and captivating by your photos.

Great report as always, Daniel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.