Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Come with me on a status run and I'll book you in J - OK!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold, Hyatt & Hilton Diamond.

This trip was planned instantly as my friend asked if I wanted to tag along on his status run to which I wasn't too sure with my work schedule... The run would be based out of Sydney and I was in Melbourne and with the timings of the flight departure I would be on thin ice with the first flight up to Sydney from Melbourne.

I hesitated and wanted to go but I said no. My friend was disappointed until I realised there was a uber early 0530 departure flight every Monday from Melbourne to Sydney that would get me to the terminal by 06:55.

I told my friend this and he sent through a confirmed ticket which was booked in business and he was in First to which I booked my flight to Sydney for the following morning. Excitement was flowing through my veins as it's been quite a while since I've done a bit of spontaneous random flying, it would be the first time trying out Emirates business and boy was I looking forward to this trip.

Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
Looking forward to reading about your adventure!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyingboy200
Looking forward to reading about your adventure!
Thank you Flyingboy200, part two is up
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:10 am
Original Poster

The day of the trip came and I was up at 04:00 and after fumbling around I found out my car had a flat battery to which after a bit of profanity disembarked my mouth I hailed an uber.

My uber arrived at 04:47 and boarding would commence at 05:08 to which I asked my driver to get to the airport ASAP. I'm glad I already checked in and had a mobile boarding pass to which I had my eyes on the clock like a hawk as it kept ticking past 05:12.

We miraculously made it in front of the Qantas terminal at 05:15 and as I thanked my driver as I dashed inside, cleared security and bolted towards gate 23. The crew who were boarding saw how puffed out I was and as I sat into my seat they handed me a few bottles of water.

I decided to skip breakfast onboard and save a bit of space so I could fully enjoy the food inside the first lounge. I didn't manage to drift off into a deep sleep so after a uneventful 52 minutes later we were at the gate by 06:45AM.

Arriving from the Qantas transfer bus I made my way towards the Emirates check in counters so I could have a printed boarding pass as well as grab an express card so I could clear customs and immigration ASAP so I could maximise my time in the Qantas first lounge. For Sydney airport on a Monday morning at 07:20 AM I was from check in to lounge under 8 minutes which was a God send.

I had a walk around the lounge and found my friend who had already pre ordered a plate of eggs benedict and buttermilk pancakes for my enjoyment as I arrived which was followed by a cold glass of Tattinger.

After a few glasses of Taittinger and breakfast dishes it was time to walk off our breakfast and stroll down to gate 57 which is quite a hike away from the lounge depending on how fast you walk. We arrived just in time as the call for elderly, passengers with assistance, parents with children who look 19 and first, business and status passengers to board.

We queued in the right lane which climbed slightly as the aerobridge led us up to the upper deck upon angels in red hats to where they directed him to turn left and me to turn right into my seat of 7A.

Having never been on the Emirates A380 business cabin, the sight of the faux wood and seat was wow and eye popping as I gazed around the cabin and it amazed me how far business class stretched down the fuselage. I was like a excited child in a candy shop.

Last edited by dzinh; Dec 4, 2016 at 8:06 am
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold
Nice start! Waiting for more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.