Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

BA F v QF/EK F mini trip report

Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club

I have just completed the outbound flights for my latest trip to Bangkok. Ever since BA stop flying F on the route I have taken routes via HKG and KUL this time I decided to take the QF/EK option via DXB which as the flights were booked as QF I would get my TPs and Avios. This also gave the opportunity to compare the First class offerings from Qantas and Emirates with BA’s. My last F flight with BA was a couple of months ago on the A380 flights to JNB.

The battle was practically won by QF before I even got to LHR when I realised I was entitled to a complimentary limousine service to the airport from my home in West London. The Mercedes S class arrived a few minutes early and the trip to LHR was perfect as was the check in procedure in T3.
I then decided, in the interests of research to compare the Lounges. I quite like GF in T3 but it comes a second best to the EK Lounge in almost every respect apart from the quality of the booze. The EK lounge is, I believe, only classed as “Business Class” which would explain the lack of premium brands of whisky et cetera (e.g. no Johnny Walker Blue!). The food offerings were more varied, much better presented and their quality lived up to the presentation.

Once on board I was intrigued by the swivel seat in the QF cabin which took a bit of getting used to but I am nothing if not adaptable and found it comfortable enough and I like the privacy of 1A.

Seat 1A-1
by John Alexander, on Flickr

Seat 1A-2

Seat 1A-3

When offered a pre-flight drink I asked what was available, the answer being whatever I wanted as opposed to the “champagne, juice or water” with BA. When I said I could not decide between a glass of champagne or a G&T I was served both and they were served with a couple of nice canapes.

Pre flight drinks

The champagne served was Taittinger Comtes de Champagne. When it came to dining I asked about the steak as I wanted to see if they, unlike BA, could serve a steak cooked medium. The crayfish starter was very tasty as the dessert.

crayfish starter

The steak was indeed jus as I like it. For those keeping score here I make that QF 4 BA 0!

Fillet steak cooked medium

Arrival into DXB was on time and the transfer process was speedy and painless. I did a quick recce of the EK Flounge and I look forward to spending a bit more time it when I return to England.

On boarding the EK A380 I was struck by the bling surrounding the seat. I think their seat is the most comfortable I have experienced on any plane. I was the only passenger in the F cabin which is always a nice experience. I didn’t get to try the shower but again it shows what can be done on modern aircraft and the toilet/shower room on EK puts BA’s cramped bog to shame.

Seat 2K-1

Seat 2K-2

Seat 2K-3

As it was made clear to me when I was shown to my seat that dining was “on demand” I decided to wait a bit for my meal and after a couple of glasses of Dom Prignon I had a nice and much needed kip. When I awoke, I asked about the steak and was advised not to order it as it always was well done. At least the FA was honest about it! Instead I ordered the chicken biryani which was just fantastic – such great flavours making it one of the best inflight meals I have ever had. For starter I had the caviar.

Caviar service

Chicken biryani

To round off a fantastic journey I had a very generous serving of Johnny Walker Blue.

JW Blue

Sorry BA I lost count of the final score, but I know you got nil!

Pleased to see my 420 TPs etc have been posted to my account especially as the rurn F fare was less than 3500.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Moved to the Trip Reports forum so others can enjoy the delights of QF and EK's First offerings.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Nice trip report.^
I have the same excellent experiences with Qantas F and EK F.
I look forward to your report about the inbound trip. Try to enjoy the EK Flounge. The EK Flounge beats the CCR lounge in every aspect IMHO (food, service,drinks, shower, seating, space, boarding from lounge).
This post has been moved very quickly from the BA forum, some over there might not be very pleased with the score (although the OP just presented the facts as they are).
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by vibguy
This post has been moved very quickly from the BA forum, some over there might not be very pleased with the score (although the OP just presented the facts as they are).
Yes that was my thought too - probably the fastest moved post I have seen in some time. I guess the op should have not used the word trip report in the title as in reality it is not a trip report but more a comparison which compares BA F versus QF F and EK F.
I have done QF F many times on the A380 and I would agree that QF F beats BA F hands down. I have never flown EK F but have a flight booked in March/April on the A380 to compare. I suspect the score will be the same.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
I did very similar to this to Beijing recently (albeit under EK codes as no codeshare available, so no Avios/TP for me) and agree with all you've said bar one thing - as I'm 6' 2, I didn't like the QF seat when it was in take off/landing mode as I had nowhere to stretch my legs.

Other than that, both were brilliant
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:35 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
QF F looks so classy (while IMHO being a bit mediocre hard product) comparing to 'it is all gold' EK F (but I have never flown in EK F).

Nice report, thank you for sharing!
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
This looks fantastic! I always think Qantas are under-rated for some reason, but I love them.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks for all the comments. For me getting if you want to do LHR:BKK and get TPS & Avios this is the best option I have tried, the others being BA/CX via HKG and BA/MH via KUL. If for no other reason than it is no mix of F and J, just F all the way!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
A nice comparison. An older EK F plane (you can tell by the secondary screen and angle of the lamp)

(compared to say: http://travelsort.com/blog/emirates-...t-class-review)

The QF F product has held up well imho, although certainly doesn't have the EK bling or BA windowshades. Its been reported that the QF A380 F and J cabins will get an upgrade as they begin to introduce the 787s from late 2017
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
We have done QF F many times and must admit they are great, crew, enthusiasm and food lovely. i do like the seat, and very private when in the swivel position. Have not done EK yet, but maybe one day will do the LHR - SYD route via DXB and use EK on the DXB sector.^
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:30 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Was the ticket purchased with Qantas or Emirates ? Just curious how they work out the TP's

If booked all the way in F and flying EK on the 2nd leg, does that count for TP's if booked as a QF codeshare ?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:34 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Think I figured it out, was booked as QF8372 . SO QF codeshare on 2nd flight
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Great trip comparison report and interesting to hear about Qantas, something we don't usually get too many reports on.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
nice report so far - I enjoyed QF F on the 380 many years ago.

looking forward to the rest of the trip.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by southsidesilver
Was the ticket purchased with Qantas or Emirates ? Just curious how they work out the TP's

If booked all the way in F and flying EK on the 2nd leg, does that count for TP's if booked as a QF codeshare ?
Originally Posted by southsidesilver
Think I figured it out, was booked as QF8372 . SO QF codeshare on 2nd flight
Yes it was booked as a QF trip with EK codeshare between DXB and BKK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.