TWA First Class DEN-JFK 1972 - The Good Old Days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TWA First Class DEN-JFK 1972 - The Good Old Days

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Hi Seat 2A, Thanks for posting some more, I've been fascinated by it all. I'm flying tommorrow from Scotland to Texas, I'm excited about getting a F upgrade with Stickers from BOS to DFW, imagine how rapturous I would be to join a singalong alongside the Piano from LHR to BOS. Those really were the days, sadly I'll be sat still in my little Y seat dreaming of things that could be....

Cheers Larry.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The last U.S. airline to offer onboard lounge facilities to all passengers was Continental. Its "Polynesian Pubs" were extremely popular on longer flights such as transcons or to Hawaii. Complimentary trays of cheese, salami and crackers were available at the bar and the mai tais were downright addictive.

I love this photo - especially the nerdy guy in the flowered shirt chatting up the pretty blonde. "I'm Myron - I'm an accountant from Des Moines but right now I'm headed to Honolulu and the ladies love me!"

And that woman at the far left: what a pantsuit! More flowers than my Grandmother's sofa!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
thanks for bumping. What I said 8 years ago still holds - flying was an "experience". Though I now get to fly IFC with lie flat beds, the sense of excitement and adventure that was there in the 70's is not.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperJon
As a child, living in HNL, attending prep school near BOS,
Originally Posted by ClipperJon
Yes, I always wore a coat & tie or a full suit - it was expected,
Were school uniforms allowed, or expected, outside school?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
Were school uniforms allowed, or expected, outside school?
I believe he's referring to the fact that back when he was flying to and from school in the seventies, dressing nicely while travelling was generally expected of one.

For what it's worth, by the 1970s most American private schools such as Exeter, Taft, Hotchkiss, Choate, et al. did not have uniforms. They merely required a coat and tie be worn to classes.

It wasn't unheard of to see the occasional passenger wearing jeans onboard an airplane. T-shirts seemed a bit more risque, though.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
What have you been up to, my good man? When can we expect another of your wonderful tomes? My single malt and cigar are anxiously awaiting your report!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ss278
What have you been up to, my good man? When can we expect another of your wonderful tomes? My single malt and cigar are anxiously awaiting your report!
Ditto: Where are you travelling to this winter?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:28 pm

I used to fly TWA in F to / from Europe and the food was not that great. The same steak / roast and ice cream sundae.

Sometimes I was lucky and they had a special dish. Y in the 60s was good. Always steak and cheese cake.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
The good old times... we will remember them in tears while we beg for our pre-departure beverage out of a nasty plastic cup
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. The "Good Old Days" represented air travel at its most exciting. While a First Class suite on an Emirates or Singapore A380 is definitely superior in comfort and privacy to the old 2-2 First Class accommodations on a 707, the pre-plated meal service in vogue these days doesn't hold a candle to the panache of a fine meal presented seatside from the trolley.

A nice selection of canapés to go with cocktails enroute to Bogota this evening

Those are the appetizers?! Air New Zealand passengers ate well on the long trans-Pacific flights to New Zealand

Luncheon is served 38,000' over the Atlantic on this BOAC 707

Ice cream AND cake for dessert on this Western DC-6 to Anchorage

Those flights to Australia are long! Plenty of time for a drink or two in the lounge after lunch
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 19, 2009 at 10:24 pm
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:36 pm

Seat 2A your pics are fantastic.. Reminds me of the great trans con days that AA flew 747 from JFK-LAX and SFO.. thanks...
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Thanks Seat2A for the fond memories. I never flew in the 70s since I was born in 1979 but if I may, here are some recollection of my earliest flying days in the 80s and 90s

SIN-NRT-HNL on NW 747-200, with very few seats in the upper deck in Executive Class, and I was happy to get playing cards from the stewardesses.

HNL-LAX on NW DC-10 where I was in 1A and spilled my orange juice. Got a scolding from my dad but the stewardess said it was not a problem and got me another one.

BOS-ZRH on LX MD-11 where the 5 of us (family) were the only ones in business class. Nobody was upgraded back then.

SIN-HKG-YVR-SFO on CX in their Marco Polo class, got 2 or 3 games from the cabin crew and that made me happy

Finally my favorite flight, ZRH-SIN on SQ 747-300. Upper deck, SQ service what more can I say

Thanks again

Last edited by indo79; Nov 19, 2009 at 9:28 pm
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
I remember the weirdest routing ever now, GA had a DC-10 going from CGK-DPS-Baik (sp?)-HNL-LAX
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: * A
very impressive, thank you Seat 2A
Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:47 am

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
AA inaugural 747-100 series ORD-LAX

In the fall of 1971, I was mysteriously dragged from my primary school classroom one morning just after class started into a waiting town car. Got to the airport (YYZ) where my parents were waiting -- boy was I happy! But the flight was AA to ORD. Not so happy. But then as we walked through the concourse at ORD I went nearly hysterical when we approached our gate and all I could see was the nose of the 747 ! The most famous plane in the world (at that time) and I was going to ride it. There was a big banner up and lots of airline official types. I dont recall the details ... just running down the jetbridge and being welcomed on board by the Steward and Stewardess in F. I promptly ran up and down the spiral staircase until my mother thwacked me hard with her handbag.

I still recall being told that there were just 56 passengers on board. F was pretty full -- AA exec types probably but coach was near empty. And yes I played the piano too back in the coach lounge. It was electric so I wasnt used to it but I did entertain for a while with my basic rendition of christmas carols (it was November) and thats all i knew.

I still have the deck of cards but sadly have lost the menu.

Thank you SO MUCH for bringing back these happy memories of a very different civilised era.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.