Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

First Class marathon: RTW on Lufthansa, Garuda Indonesia, Korean & Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class marathon: RTW on Lufthansa, Garuda Indonesia, Korean & Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: Delta
SFO,
I hope you do not mind me asking this question in your TR.

I just returned from my first Trans Pacific trip,ATL-BKK and back. All First and Bus Cl.
This is also the first time I have jet lag and it was bad. I am almost 70. Also had to take
3 planes.

When you go RTW is jet lag ever an issue for you ? Do you ever do anything to lessen
the effects of Jetlag or because you fly so much it is not a factor ?

BTW, I am also a big fan and read all your TRs.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
As SFO777 stated, I met him in London for the rest of the RTW trip. But being based in MSP, i took LH F out of ORD to FRA on the 748. I got the black Rimowa amenity kit and it was a great surprise! The FA said they are switching over to these during the holiday season. And of course I had to get a couple of more FC duckies ^

Originally Posted by MCMAHONSMR
Flew DUS EWR in F earlier this week. Interesting to see the difference the direction of travel makes.

My wife and I consumed 2.5 bottles of the LPGS over the 9 or so hours.

The food was far superior than what you got. I have always found the catering to be superior ex Germany. I had a very nice goose for my entree with the St. Emilion.

That amenity kit you got on LAX MUC looks disappointing. On our flight the men were given the jet green Rimowa kit. My wife was given whatever ladies version they had but she was having none of it and asked for the male kit, which the crew happily supplied.

Looking forward to the rest of this report!
Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Do you tip the driver when they drive you from the terminal to the plane? I noticed that he carried your bag onto the aircraft.

Great report. I am looking forward to the rest of the report.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:46 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Just awesome.

Most of my 72 hour hall passes involve "no chores and watching Netflix", not trips around the world. LOL.

Travel safe.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
SFO777 I am impressed with the Chopin Vodka on offer in the F lounge.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Do you tip the driver when they drive you from the terminal to the plane? I noticed that he carried your bag onto the aircraft.

I think I recall reading that they do no accept tips, at least when I did my research for my trip in 2015.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
Nice to see this. The Garuda FA certainly look pretty. I'm not sure we're allowed to say that on FT anymore
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Yes, you are allowed to say this as you beat me to it Really looking forward to the rest of this. Bring it on SFO777.
Thanks very much CHSDOC and Betteronacamel.

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Bagus
I knew you would enjoy the wonderful service on Garuda.
I have not yet flown F, but Garuda J is my regular commute from SYD to DPS, CGK and some intra Asia flights.
Garuda is always a joy from check in to arrival, it makes the journey from our work home to our holiday home in Bali just wonderful.
The warmth of the crew, who are always delighted as we step onto the aircraft in SYD with a Salamat Datang and a Pagi Pagi.
Have experienced Sari and her great service - good to see she is now working the 777 F product.
Hope GA will find their way to the USA soon - I see they have the approvals again.
The Terminal at CGK is ok if its not busy and you get a jetway - if its a bus gate its always slow and painful.
Thank you so much adampenrith for your perspective. GA was just an amazing experience. How lucky you are to be able to fly GA so often. GA would be my airline of choice if I lived in Australia or SE Asia. Granted we were in First, but every employee we met, on the ground and in the air, was wonderful. It sounded like Sari may be working the 77W routes now as she said that she was home for one night and then off to AMS the following day. The only negative about GA is the dumpy old terminal. But the beautiful new terminal is apparently near completion. Hopefully, once in the new terminal, they will decide to expand their First Class service and try to compete with SQ/TG as a SE Asia connection hub. It looks like F loads are weak but when you only fly to/from LHR and AMS, they're not going to attract much more than O/D traffic. If they would start LAX service, that would be awesome. Since the 77W can't make CGK-LAX nonstop, they'd have to find a fifth freedom airport, like HKG or NRT/HND.

Originally Posted by peachman
SFO,
I just returned from my first Trans Pacific trip,ATL-BKK and back. All First and Bus Cl. This is also the first time I have jet lag and it was bad. I am almost 70. Also had to take 3 planes. When you go RTW is jet lag ever an issue for you ? Do you ever do anything to lessen the effects of Jetlag or because you fly so much it is not a factor ? BTW, I am also a big fan and read all your TRs.
Thank you peachman. Strange as it sounds, I've found that jet lag is minimal on the RTWs compared to spending a week or few days in Asia or Europe. In fact, I have experienced zero jet lag this time. I left Monday afternoon at 5pm and returned home Thursday evening 8pm. I slept my normal 6 hours at home both Thursday and last night and didn't feel tired at all during the day. I think that the key is that you don't spend enough time anywhere to adjust to another time zone. And the flight times on this trip worked to our advantage as well. I was able to sleep at least 6 hours on each of the 3 long hauls and nap a few other times, so despite sleep time being at different times of the day, I felt pretty normal when I got home.

Originally Posted by batmandds
As SFO777 stated, I met him in London for the rest of the RTW trip. But being based in MSP, i took LH F out of ORD to FRA on the 748. I got the black Rimowa amenity kit and it was a great surprise! The FA said they are switching over to these during the holiday season. And of course I had to get a couple of more FC duckies ^
Had a great time with you batmandds and look forward to a repeat some time down the road.

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Thanks HawaiiTrvlr. I did not tip the driver as there is generally no expectation of a tip at MUC/FRA.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Just awesome.
Most of my 72 hour hall passes involve "no chores and watching Netflix", not trips around the world. LOL.
Travel safe.
LOL. Thanks worldtraveller73. You need to try one of these some day.

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
SFO777 I am impressed with the Chopin Vodka on offer in the F lounge.
They did have some nice options, but the lounge was actually a little depressing compared the spaciousness and design of the Business Lounge.

Originally Posted by chongl
I think I recall reading that they do no accept tips, at least when I did my research for my trip in 2015.
Probably makes sense, although I did tip one PA 20 euros a few years ago after really exceptional service. She accepted it with thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by peachman
SFO,

I just returned from my first Trans Pacific trip,ATL-BKK and back. All First and Bus Cl.
This is also the first time I have jet lag and it was bad. I am almost 70. Also had to take
3 planes.

When you go RTW is jet lag ever an issue for you ? Do you ever do anything to lessen
the effects of Jetlag or because you fly so much it is not a factor ?

BTW, I am also a big fan and read all your TRs.
I would like to reiterate what SFO777 said about jet lag. On a RTW trip, you just get sleep when you can. Coming home in the evening is a bonus because you are normally tired enough to get a good night's sleep. I don't have any jet lag either after this 72-hour RTW trip.
On this trip, i slept more than SFO777 but he seemed less affected by the time zones. I definitely had to rally a few times. i guess that's why he's a legend in our hobby
Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777

Despite the departure delay, we arrived at the gate nearly 30 minutes ahead of schedule.
no caviar in the AM?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Fabulous shots. Love the outdoor terrace. So jealous of Mrs SFO. Would she like any sister wives?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Well from SYD to DPS there is VA and JQ or GA.

JQ you just would not fly.

VA I would due to loyalty programs BUT they normally charge more that GA BUT only offer what we know of as domestic J and its not a lie flat seat.

GA has a great product plenty of J seats on the A330 and awesome service.

Regarding the US service I have heard that the flight will most likely be an add on from NRT or HND - I am pretty certain I saw DOT approval for that a few months back.

There is a new terminal at DPS - which is awesome - compared to the hell hole it was for years. It does have a couple of issues, one is the security check prior to entering the terminal, tickets are checked and bags xrayed - I knew people travelling last night (sat 11/09), who said it took 1 hr to get into the check in area - and others have reported delays of up to 2 hrs. With a big bank of flights to Australia Europe and Singapore going between 2100 and 2400 its a problem.

Then there is check in - which is pretty good - the fiscal check to make sure you paid the departure tax, security, then immigration (with no express lanes) CGK has express lanes. Then once you get to your gate there is another hand search of baggage, so it takes forever.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: SQ PPS *G, Bonvoy Titanium
Thank you very much for the report SFO777. I've been waiting to hear your take on GA. I cant agree more that GA is amazing and being based in SE Asia, I do fly with them a lot (sometimes taking a detour in order to fly with them). I've never flown GA in F but even in J it does feel like F on other airlines. The amount of personal attention and pampering you get is just amazing. Thank you again for the report!
Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, United Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Oh, man. This is living. The teaser pictures are phenomenal. The crew is photogenic
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:13 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by adampenrith
Well from SYD to DPS there is VA and JQ or GA.

JQ you just would not fly.

VA I would due to loyalty programs BUT they normally charge more that GA BUT only offer what we know of as domestic J and its not a lie flat seat.

GA has a great product plenty of J seats on the A330 and awesome service.

Regarding the US service I have heard that the flight will most likely be an add on from NRT or HND - I am pretty certain I saw DOT approval for that a few months back.

There is a new terminal at DPS - which is awesome - compared to the hell hole it was for years. It does have a couple of issues, one is the security check prior to entering the terminal, tickets are checked and bags xrayed - I knew people travelling last night (sat 11/09), who said it took 1 hr to get into the check in area - and others have reported delays of up to 2 hrs. With a big bank of flights to Australia Europe and Singapore going between 2100 and 2400 its a problem.

Then there is check in - which is pretty good - the fiscal check to make sure you paid the departure tax, security, then immigration (with no express lanes) CGK has express lanes. Then once you get to your gate there is another hand search of baggage, so it takes forever.
I fly SIN-CGK on GA twice a month where all my colleagues fly SQ. What I love about flying with GA (and I guess you would have the same experience if you were to instead fly VA or JQ is that not as many foreigners take GA. That means that the immigration/priority queues are not as packed. Especially when you consider the twin isle SQ aircraft with transit passengers heading to CGK.
I find GA crew to be in most cases friendlier than SQ staff and much more natural in their approach - reminds me of the good old MH days.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Very inspiring TR, SFO777! ^
A F RTW is on my bucket list...
How does the Satellite Terminal 2 First Class Lounge compare to the FCT? Same amenities, same food, better views but a car transfer only for remote stands?

Looking forward to the Garuda installment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.