Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IND-ORD-HKG-SIN-NRT Mileage Run

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2001, 5:03 am
Original Poster

IND-ORD-HKG-SIN-NRT Mileage Run

I've always wanted to do a tip report, so here it goes... My plan is to do this as the trip progresses. I'm currently using the computers in the Red Carpet Club in Hong Kong.

(An Advance apology for spelling and Grammer...It's been 24 hours since I last saw a bed

This trip is mileage run for the other half to keep his 1K status. I travel enough for work that I don't have to worry about it.

We booked this trip about three weeks ago for $674.00 on UAL.com. The last of the upgrades came through on Monday. The wait list system really came through. I was especially surprised that the SIN-NRT cleared since it looked pretty full.

We arrived at the Indianapolis airport late, about 25 minutes before our 9:40am departure. Last night on UAL.com the flight showed oversold. I was fearful that we'd lose our seats if we didn't check in prior to 20 mintes (This fear is from experience from two weeks ago..can you see a pattern )We ended up pulling up to the curb and checking in prior to parking. Luckly our UAL angel was back after taking the summer off and let me check both of us in while the other stayed with the car.

Our IND-ORD flight was pretty uneventful. We had seats 1c and 1D on a 757 with the new seats. While boarding the plane we noticed there was an issue with with on of the non-revs...she had a 1st class boarding pass, but was in jeans. I'm pretty sure they made her sit in coach.

Our connection time in ORD was a quick 55 minutes. I had time to get my shoes shined in the tunnel while Jeff grabed us a few last minute cheese burgers and that was about all the time we had.

By the time we got to the gate the boarding had already started at C-17. For some reason they were only boarding through the first door. Concerning gate upgrades, the "Announcement Board" behind the gate agent's counter only listed four possibly upgrades...I felt very lucky!!!

Boarding was uneventful as we headed up stairs to seats 15 G&H. Apparently they are no longer letting us take roller boards upstairs to put in the closet. We had no problems finding space downstairs even though we boarded late.

The flight left the gate on-time, but the pilot let us know that it was going to be about a 15 minute delay getting clearance to take off since he needs the entire length of the runway.

Once in the air we had a great flight to Hong Kong. For our first meal we both had the shrimp coctail and the filet...It wasn't Ruth's Chris but it wasn't bad for airline food.

The flight got interesting after dinner when an announcment was made that they were looking for someone who was a Doctor...the MD type . When no one came forward the then asked for anyone with any type of medical experience...They sounded a little desperate at this point. Luckly a women near our seats rang her call button. I never found out what was wrong with the passenger, but they said she was doing better. I did notice during one of my walks that the volunteer and the captain were using the public AT&T phone in the very back of the plane. I'm guessing to a doctor. I learned later from the flight attendent that the plans were in place to divert us to Alaska...a place I've been wanting to visit, but not like that

After my first nap I awoke to find the snack cart parked right in front of us. This is bad only because I have no will power...four candy bars and two hot sandwiches later I was paying for my lack of moderation

Watched a couple of good movies...Loved Sean Connery on Finding Forrester(sp?). I also enjoyed the addition of the VH1 channel.

For our second meal we both had the Turkey Pot Pie...It was that or the fruit plate. Again, not bad.

I'll add that we had a great crew on this flight and we really enjoyed talking with them. We were lucky to be given a bottle of wine to take with us.

On arrival in Hong Kong we had probably one of the hardest landings I've felt. As we left the plane we learned that all of the oxygen masks in first class dropped from the ceiling.

As we headed toward the Red Carpet Club we found the new place to take a shower for $9.00...I feel like a new person.

We have another 45 minutes here until we board for Singapore. We have reservations at the Transit Hotel and then we'll take the morning flight to Tokyo were we will be staying at the Hilton.

I'll post more as the travels progress. Please feel free to include any suggestions for Tokyo...we'll be there for four days.

Again, my apologies for the spelling and grammer..it 24 hours since I've seen a bed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.