Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Friday the 13th on SQ (SYD-SIN-TPE)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2001, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Friday the 13th on SQ (SYD-SIN-TPE)

My friends and family said to me, don’t travel on Friday the 13th. Maybe I should have listened to them.
-----------------------
SQ 220
SYD-SIN; 13/7/01
744; 9V-SPM; 63A
-----------------------
I was a little concerned driving home from work at midnight on Thursday night, as there was fog as thick as I have ever seen.

But, alas, I was up at 5 the next morning to catch the 8:20 to Singapore. Look out the window, and I can’t even see the street for all the fog. Mmm – not a good start.

I got to the airport at 7am after a somewhat hair-raising drive with no visibility. All arriving flights were diverted or cancelled. But I knew the plane I was on had arrived at SYD the previous evening, so that was something.

As I am/was not yet *G, I queued up for over 40 minutes to check-in, and was given 63A right through to TPE. I requested 62A as always, but was told that the seat wasn’t available on either flight.

I had a quick look to see what else was at the airport, but the fog was to thick you couldn’t see a single plane from the observatory area.

The flight was about 80% full in Y, and boarding commenced on time at 7:50am. All the people at the other gates, where their flights had been delayed for 4+ hours, were looking exceedingly jealous that SQ had decided to get the show on the road. I was quite pleased that there was no one sitting next to me. But I’m not too sure why they couldn’t have given me 62A, as that seat was empty. We sat on the plane for a while, and then at about 8:25 the pilot announced that visibility was below SQ safe operating levels, and that we will be on the ground for approximately 90 minutes. The in-flight movies were turned on, and then breakfast was served. It was very strange to be sitting at gate watching a movie (the Mexican) and eating breakfast. I always request a lacto-ovo western vegetarian meal when on SQ. I was served an omlette, rice bubbles, crossiant and orange juice. SQ really do have great food in Y. They announced that as the plane was not full, people were free to move about “within their designated cabin”. Someone proceeded to sit in front of me in 62A, and I was not impressed when they stuck their hands over the back of the seat onto my PTV. I asked the stewardess to get him to quit it, and he turned around and gave me a filthy look.

The fog finally burned off and we departed SYD at 10:00. The whole flight was panicking because they would miss their connections. The leading stewardess told me that 80% of people had connections, and about 75% would not make them. I was quite lucky as I had 3 hours in SIN.

The flight routing was a little unusual. We went perfectly north for quite some time, then headed directly over Mt Isa, and then west to cross the coast near Derby, over Indonesia and Surabaya into SIN. I have travelled to SIN countless times and have never done this routing. Sometimes you go a little more north than other times, but I have always crossed between Alice Springs and Ayers Rock. On this flight we passed about 600kms north of Alice Springs. Probably something to do with the winds. The guy in front of me was going to Surabaya and would miss his connection. I was quite amused at his annoyance when the plane was overflying the city. He was very annoying. He continued shoving his hands on my PTV, and would lean back very violently during the meal service, causing my drink to spill on 2 occasions.

On the morning flight to SIN, they normally serve breakfast 1 hour after take-off, and a refreshment 1.5 hours out of SIN. They still did not serve the refreshment to just out of SIN, and I was absolutely starving by this stage. They really should have served something else (like lunch), given the 2 hour delay. And they said snacks were not available onthis flight as it was less than 10 hours (don’t tell me SQ are doing UA-style cut-backs).

We arrived at SIN (gate E4) at 16:00. Interesting to see an AF, KL and LH plane at Terminal 2. LH is *, so I guess they are using T2 now, but I have no clue what the AF and KL planes were doing there.

-----------------------
SQ 30
SIN-TPE; 13/7/01
744; 9V-SPM; 63A
-----------------------

With only an hour at SIN, I was off to the outside smoking area between the E & F concourses, and then it was pretty much time to head to the gate for my flight to TPE. The monitors in the plane said gate F48, so I headed up to the gate and checked out the plane. 9V-SPL or maybe 9V-SPP, anyway, it was one of the new 744s I hadn’t been on so I was quite excited. But, unfortunately, they had changed gates on me. This plane was going to HKG, and my flight to TPE was going from E4 (same gate at which I arrived).

A little disappointed, I headed back to E4 and 9V-SPM and filled out the Taiwan (ROC) arrival form. Some pretty serious drug warnings on that form!!

Wow, was it hot on the plane. It must have been like 40 degrees. The FAs were frantically passing round water, but it was truly terrible.

We pushed back on time, did a lap of the airport, and headed back to the gate. The captain made an announcement that there was a problem with the A/C, and a part had to be changed. So, we all got off the plane and headed back to the departure gate. It was about 17:40 at this stage. An announcement was made that the engineers were installing a new part on the plane, and they would test it at 18:25, and provide us with an update at 18:30. As we left the gate they marked our seats off, obviously so they could figure out who had left the gate area.

All was ready to go at 18:30, and the FAs were apologising profusely for the delay and the intolerable conditions. We ended up taking off at about 18:50 (1.5hrs late). Quite a routine flight to TPE. Unfortunately there was someone next to me, but he got the message pretty quickly that I didn’t want to talk to him

The only interesting aspect of the flight were these two Americans sitting behind me. They were clearly drunk when they boarded the plane, and the FAs just continued to serve them alcohol. At one point, one of the guys was sleazing onto a SQ girl chronically. She really didn’t seem to mind. He was seriously standing one inch in front of her and was getting quite “touchy”. When were about an hour out of TPE, they requested another scotch, and things changed a little. The leading stewardess came up to them and asked if they were continuing onto LAX. They said yes, and the FA said they should “slow down” with the alcohol, otherwise they won’t “enjoy” the rest of the flight. The guys (totally wasted at this point) said point taken, but give us our scotch. So what did the FAs do? Gave them their scotch. That seemed way inappropriate to me. There is no way they would have been served on QF or UA, or any bar in Sydney for that matter.

We proceeded to descend into TPE, and it was an amazingly clear night. I have flown over Taiwan countless times, and it has ALWAYS been completely overcast. When we were about 700ft (maybe less) off the ground, suddenly the engines went to full thrust and we banked sharply to the right. I have flown a heap and that has never happened to me. It wasn’t an “aborted landing” because we didn’t follow the missed approach routing. We just swerved big-time to the right. A little scary I might say. Anyway, we proceeded to climb to 2000ft and the pilot (a Brit) comes on and explains:

“Ladies and gentlemen, sorry to alarm you there, but as we were coming in we were told to abort the landing. Apparently there is a dog loose on the runway. We will be able to land as soon as the dog is caught. We can’t advise when that will be.”

Never heard that one before!!! He also mentioned that there was only one runway operational at TPE. The runway where SQ006 crashed last October (or should I say the runway which the plane should have taken off from), is apparently closed, so they are down to just one r/way. He didn’t say that over the PA system though!!

Anyway, we circled round the airport for about 25 minutes, before the captain announced that the dog had been caught, and we would land. We touched down at 23:20 (about 1.5hrs late).

A lot of Eva Air and China Airlines at the airport, as well a QF 747SP and a CX A330.

Got a taxi to the Westin for US$40. Upgraded to an Executive Club room (minus the b/fast), which is always nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.