Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines: Inaugural Flight SIN-AMS(-ORD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2001, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Location: IAD/DCA via OMA, ATL, AUO, AMS, ORD/MDW, IAD/DCA, LHR/LGW, DEN, SEA, DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Gold; HILTON Gold; Ex UA PremEx

Just got an e-mail from my cousin. He was on the inaugural flight for Singapore Airlines new SIN-AMS-ORD-AMS-SIN 777 Jubilee service! He lives in AMS, so he was only on the initial segment, but his report provides an interesting "first look." Incidentally, I happened to be in a meeting at ORD and saw the AMS-ORD flight land. What a beautiful aircraft!

In addition, several of us from work (I work for an aviation consulting firm in Chicago) ran across the introductory fare. As such 6 of us are headed ORD-AMS-SIN-AMS-ORD in early October. The round-trip fare? $635 plus tax! I've never been, so it should be fun! At that price, this was just too good to pass up!

In any event, I thought you all might enjoy my cousin's report. Here it is:

--------------------------

Just got back from work...thought I would give you the inaugural flight update...

Flight left Singapore ontime...nice plane...looked brand new. Got a bottle of Champagne and a little Chicago harmonica as welcome gifts for flying biz and being on the flight. Otherwise it was surprisingly normal. At first glance the biz cabin wasn't much different from the 744s...same color scheme and the seats looked the same as the basic Ultimos. Seating config is 2X2X2 as opposed to United 2X3X2 on the same aircraft. There is noticably more room between the rows than on the 744 and the other upgrades soon became clear. They have increased the size of the video screens in the seat...I would say they are now a good 10 inches...the biggest biz class screens I've ever seen. AND they've installed the Wisemen Video on demand system which they didn't have on the 744 I rode down to SIN...Wisemen is the newest system they've got. The seat controls are new and Mercedes-esque in the layout. You have a picture of the seat and you toggle the various seat
pieces in the directions you want the seat to move. It extends considerably farther than the 744 Ultimo both out in the footrest and in recline. The seat bottom also extends upward to make it more of a near-flat-bed feel (flush with the seatback). It's still not a flat bed though and I had some difficulty sleeping because it's not as cushy so I (being not so large) tend to slip off the sides. It would be ideal if it would envelope you and or fold up and in on the sides of the headrest (which was too high for me even at it lowest setting...one wonders why since Asians are even smaller) and the sides of the seat. The privacy screens on the seatback sides have been
enlarged and extended.

Otherwise the service was standard Raffles Class...so I don't buy into this J+ thing. It was good...but std. My fruit was frozen solid when they brought me breakfast so I couldn't eat it. The main FA who worked my seat was very nice and professional and probably the best I've had in years though.

There was much pomp and circumstance in Amsterdam upon arrival and they had a big setup for the outbound pax to ORD. I imagine the arrival in ORD was similar...for us boring AMS departees...it wasn't anything new.

So that's the update. You'll enjoy the flight even in Y I'm sure. SIN was great as always. It always feels like I'm in a theme park though...so clean and orderly and easy to get around (subways and very cheap taxis). Excellent seafood and had my favorite pre-departure dishes...drunken Prawns and Sri Lankan Pepper Crab....yum!

--------------------------

As you can imagine, I can't wait for my own trip (though it will only be in Y)!
Old Aug 3, 2001, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
quite interesting! I didn't know that SQ was bringing out a C+ product as well.. I guess everyone is starting to do it now following United's lead...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.