Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FCO Transportation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2001, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

FCO Transportation

Can anyone please help me...I will be a first time vistor to FCO/Rome and need to get transportation from FCO into Rome. What are my options and what would you suggest as the best option?? Would you suggest getting US$ converted before I depart? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jul 25, 2001, 6:26 pm

There is an Airport Train that takes you from the Airport station conncected to the Terminal to the main station in Rome. It is run by the FS, the state railways and is pretty convenient. There are approximately two trains an hour and the trip costs L17,000 (about $8.50). For more info., including schedules and fares, checkout the FS website:
http://www.trenitalia.com/
Old Jul 26, 2001, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Agree with the above - taxis should be avoided as they usually rip you off (like double or triple the fare).

The other option is a pre-paid limo service which you arrange at the airport on arrival -as of last year they were charging 90 000 lira and this will take you direct to your hotel etc.

The official taxi price to town is about
80 000 but my parents got caught out on their trip in 2000 and were charged 175 000 lira for the 'ride' (in every sense) into town!

Cheers

WG
Old Jul 26, 2001, 5:54 am
Suspended

I haven't done this yet but planning on it August 21 - limo service for L60,000 or ~ $30

usd.http://www.limoservicerome.com/links.htm

Old Jul 30, 2001, 4:50 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I opt for the taxi or limo, then you don't have to go through the scrum at termini especially if you get there during peak hours.

Lots of cash machines at FCO, no problem. Just make sure your pin is in digits or you know the numeric equiv. of your pin. I am partial to Banca di Roma.

Old Jul 31, 2001, 6:23 am
LEB

I took the train into town, which was quite easy to do, and then "got a ride" like LHR/MEL/Europe FF parent's.

My problem was not having any idea of what to expect. Stepping out of the train station with a suitcase in tow is like throwing fresh meat into a kennel of dogs. Before I knew what was happening my new best friend was ushering me into a "cab" which, upon closer inspection barely looked like an operational car. I think it cost 40000 lira for the short ride through town. On the other hand it was quite entertaining, since this fellow seemed to be under the assumption that driving at night with lights on would reduce his gas mileage and so he only applied lights, and horn, when approaching intersections.

A few days later we took a cab (hailed by the hotel) over the same route and it cost under 12000 lira.

On the return to the airport we took a cab the whole route and it was quite slow due to the traffic. That is also when I came to fully appreciate the impact of mobile phones. Our driver had three of them and spent most of the drive to the airport bouncing from one to the other.

Old Jul 31, 2001, 4:12 pm

We'll be staying at the Hilton Rome Airport at the end of August and I understand they have a free shuttle to and from downtown 7-8 times a day. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it practical?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.