Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-HKG-LHR-NRT 7/29 - 8/2 Very Long

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2001, 7:09 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
UAL Traveler,

I've seen you remark a couple of places about how immigration & customs at NRT has been improved. I have greatly curtailed my Japanese travel over the last couple of years, but it used to always amaze me how much time would pass between arrival at the gate and arrival at my hotel in Tokyo--

1) long lines at the "foreigner" immigration line;

2) long lines at customs, including occasional forced review of the "book" containing illustrated pictures of drugs, etc.

3) short line to purchase Narita express train ticket;

4) wait for Narita express (only runs every 30 minutes);

5) walk from Narita express to taxi stand at Tokyo station; and finally

6) taxi to hotel.
Old Jun 15, 2001, 1:01 am
mgm
Original Poster

I was really surprised to see my report pop up here after nearly two years. Much has happened since then! Notably:

- Immigration at NRT is much better (as per UAL Traveller), though customs still give me the third degree.

- The CX first product has been rolled out to nearly all long-haul flights, and is still a very comfortable experience. The new amenity kits are much better.

- BA's First product has been revamped: more comfortable seats, better interior design, the delightful BAg amenity kit continues to evolve, PowerPorts!!!, NOBU menu items on Tokyo flights (delicious).

- New BA First lounges at LHR, including the dedicated Concorde room for Concorde and actual First passengers. Big round of applause for that! Love the Molton Brown Spa area: shower/steam baths and free treatments.

- Free internet access in BA lounges!!!!! No more whopping big phone bills.

Rereading I discovered a mistake in my original report. I stated that CX's lounge was designed by Conran. It was actually John Pawson (one of my heroes in architecture). Conran supplied some of the fittings and furniture.

Two years on I'm still a big fan of CX and BA. Though at the moment I am more partial to BA than anyone else.

Happy flying!

[This message has been edited by mgm (edited 06-15-2001).]
Old Jun 16, 2001, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by HKG_Flyer1:
UAL Traveler,

I've seen you remark a couple of places about how immigration & customs at NRT has been improved. I have greatly curtailed my Japanese travel over the last couple of years, but it used to always amaze me how much time would pass between arrival at the gate and arrival at my hotel in Tokyo--

1) long lines at the "foreigner" immigration line;

2) long lines at customs, including occasional forced review of the "book" containing illustrated pictures of drugs, etc.
&lt;snip&gt;</font>
Before the terminal overhaul about ago, things were indeed slower, but as I noted above, at least for mid-afternoon arrivals and departures, I barely break stride in my walk up to the immigration desk. Moreoever, the departure tax is now built into the tickets in NRT (but not at all airports in Japan), so that hassle is gone. In NRT, I rarely have problems with customs, but in Kansai, I am sometimes shown the book as well, which can sometimes be problematic, as I usually do the BKK-KIX route with a tight connection onto JR at KIX.

As far as the trip into town goes, that is about the same. Depending where I go, I take the N'Ex to Tokyo station, or a bus to Shinjuku, and neither seems to be all that speedy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.