Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Back to Cleveland for an amazing night in the Center of the Sports Universe!

Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

After 52 long suffering years without a professional sports championship, could 2016 be the year when miracles happen... not once, but twice? OMG.

In June, the Cavaliers won the NBA Championship beating the Warriors in a series for the ages. And tonight, the Indians host game 1 of the World Series, featuring the two most forlorn franchises in baseball. It's been 68 years since that Indians were World Series Champions. But that's nothing compared to the hapless Cubs who have gone 115 years without a title. Heck, they haven't even been to a World Series in 71 years.

And on the same night, the Cavs open the 2016-17 season at home against the New York Knicks. Not just any home opener, but it's the night they raise the Championship banner and present NBA championship rings. What a choice! I solved the dilemma of which game to go to by, deciding to go to both! Go to the Cavs first for the presentation and celebration and the then head next door for game 1 of the WS. So I'm off early this morning for the rush hour commute from Southern OC to LAX.

50 miles and 90 minutes later...

A lovely 405 exit ramp. LOL.

Maybe someday Terminal 7 will be nice, but not these days...

The temporary United Club is simply awful. UC dragon claimed that the new one will open by the end of the year. It can't happen soon enough.

LAX-CLE
UA 1918
737-800
9:37a-5:05p (sked)
9:55a-4:55p (actual)
October 25, 2016

First Class was sold out long ago on this one, but cheap 12,500 mile saver Economy award seats were available.

And at least I had an Economy Plus exit row.

Very good service for Economy with multiple passes thru the cabin offering drinks and BOB snacks. The free to all Y pax yummy Stroopwafel.

And our descent to the partly cloudy City of Champions!

Cool Tribe decorations at each UA gate.

The airport train runs to downtown every 10 minutes on the 2s.

And is easy to reach a short escalator down from baggage claim.

And a bargain at only $2.50 each way.

Not a lot of people boarded at the airport but the 100s of Tribe and Cavs fans boarded at the next stop, Brookpark.

Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

While I booked my flight a month ago in anticipation, I forgot to book a hotel room. And there is not a room to be had within 20 miles of downtown. With an early return flight the next morning, I figured I'd, once again, just hang out all night at the Ritz-Carlton bar. I dropped my backpack at the valet desk and headed outside toward The Q.

And one of the biggest tourist attractions in the city...

Where Mrs. SFO777 posed last year.

And at The Q, sporting new Championship signs and banners.

And to Gateway Plaza to soak up the atmosphere.

And inside to watch the Cavs pre-game festivities.

Since I wasn't staying for the game, I didn't go crazy on tickets. But did manage to get a seat right beside the Cavs tunnel.

20,582 enjoying some highlights of Game 7.

The ring ceremony...

Raising the 2016 NBA Championship Banner...

After the ceremony and before the tip, I head back out the Gateway Plaza and next door to Progressive Field for Game 1 of the 2016 World Series.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:35 am

Go Tribe! As a long-time, long-suffering season ticket holder I'm so proud of my Tribe! It was a great game and look forward to the Tribe going all the way. I didn't arrive home until late and now I'm at work...more coffee, please.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
Go Tribe! As a long-time, long-suffering season ticket holder I'm so proud of my Tribe! It was a great game and look forward to the Tribe going all the way. I didn't arrive home until late and now I'm at work...more coffee, please.
I second that. On my third cup of coffee now.

Looking forward to the rest of this trip report, SFO777. I have a feeling your seats at the Tribe game were better than mine...
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:08 am

As a lifelong NYMETS fan , I wish you guys ( both Cubbies and Tribe ) luck
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:47 am

(I'm not even a LeBron fan...but damn)

Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
Wait... which valet did you give your bag to?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I'm not sure what disturbs me more....my Cubbies getting crushed last night or SFO777 having to fly coach!!!!!!! lol (okay, it's definitely the 6-0 loss...but it's close!)
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Wow...SFO777 in coach?! Next report must be on Virgin Galactic
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

World Series Game 1
Chicago Cubs vs. Cleveland Indians

Just across Gateway Plaza from The Q is The Jake as it was originally known before corporate money paid to change it from Jacobs Field to Progressive Field.

It took a while to get thru the mass of humanity to find my seat in Section 130.

Kenny Lofton throwing the first pitch.

Former player and manager Mike Hargrove, Tribe Manager in 1997, the last time the Indians played in the World Series.

Tribe Wins! Tribe Wins!

Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
Thanks CosmosHuman. And now yet get to do it again tonight/tomorrow morning!

Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
I second that. On my third cup of coffee now.
Looking forward to the rest of this trip report, SFO777. I have a feeling your seats at the Tribe game were better than mine...
Thank you BasedinCLE. I'm glad I went last night when it was 10 degrees warmer than tonight.

Originally Posted by RTW4
As a lifelong NYMETS fan , I wish you guys ( both Cubbies and Tribe ) luck
Thanks RTW4.

Originally Posted by lionelhutzskis

(I'm not even a LeBron fan...but damn)
Yes! Thanks lionelhutzskis for posting that great replay.

Originally Posted by dakid23
Wait... which valet did you give your bag to?
The valet at the Ritz-Carlton. They have a secure storage room in the valet/entrance area.

Originally Posted by chicago747
I'm not sure what disturbs me more....my Cubbies getting crushed last night or SFO777 having to fly coach!!!!!!! lol (okay, it's definitely the 6-0 loss...but it's close!)
LOL. Thanks chicago747. It's only one game so anything can happen in this series. The flying coach thing disturbed me the most.

Originally Posted by chongl
Wow...SFO777 in coach?! Next report must be on Virgin Galactic
I know, I know.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
What a great night it must have been SFO777. Thanks for sharing with us. Rooting hard for the Indians this series, hopefully they can pull it out.

Hopefully I'm able to do this with the Blazers or Rockies one day, but we'll see if they can get there first
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Love you SFO777, but as a life long suffering Cubs fan, Go Cubbies! Cheers to a good series!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
Nice. Very nice.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAL250
What a great night it must have been SFO777. Thanks for sharing with us. Rooting hard for the Indians this series, hopefully they can pull it out. Hopefully I'm able to do this with the Blazers or Rockies one day, but we'll see if they can get there first
Thank you UAL250. It was great. So glad I went last night and tonight. Whoa, that was a stinker and the temps were 10 degrees colder.

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
Love you SFO777, but as a life long suffering Cubs fan, Go Cubbies! Cheers to a good series!
Thanks TheAAdmiral. I completely understand. The real Cubs came to play tonight. I can't imagine paying the insane prices that tickets are going for this weekend at Wrigley.

Originally Posted by ss278
Nice. Very nice.
Thank you ss278.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.