Search

Wine in Bordeaux, Shopping in Paris via spectacular Air France 77W La Première

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JohnRain
There is at least one suite with the opera house view and the bar. I stayed at it last year and while I agree it's extravagant and useless it's also a lot of fun, as it was stocked with a few complimentary bottles of red. This is Bordeaux after all...
Why I am not surprised that JohnRain got that suite?

Originally Posted by offerendum
Oh Mann, now you ruined SFO´s day
LOL. Like we needed more wine this trip. I can't complain since we only paid for a lowly Jr. Suite and the Prestige retails for 1,000 euros a night more.

Originally Posted by seat38a
Ah yes, an unhappy Mrs. SFO777 will make for a terrible vacation for Mr SFO777. Never wise to upset the Mrs.
Happy wife, happy life indeed. Just need to keep remembering that.

Originally Posted by 1P
Alain Ducasse. Oui! What a menu!
And a stunning breakfast! I think the best plate I have seen for a long time.
I will continue to follow this TR (like the rest of us food junkies!).
Thanks for bringing us the entertainment, SFO777 !
Thanks very much 1P. A couple nights ago, we tried Champeaux, the new Alain Ducasse brasserie at Les Halles. Hard to find but modern/trendy and the usual delicious food, with just a touch of snooty French hostessing.

Originally Posted by offerendum
By the way: How does it compare to his restaurants?
Everything I've tried in the lounge has been wonderful. We did have the same pasta dish at Champeaux at it was identical to the lounge version. ^

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
Great trip report, as usual. Now AF F has to be on my bucket list. Of course, we'll head to Beaune instead of Bordeaux, but otherwise, I think you've done quite well SFO777.
Thank you travellingwineO. Love your FT handle.

Originally Posted by spark787
Great trip report! Although intra-EU J is always a bummer. Out of curiosity, how do French people view your Quebec French? I heard it's kinda like the equivalent of the southern accent in the US?
Thanks so much spark787. Parisiennes are mostly amused by my Quebecois it as it is indeed akin to a southern accent.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Brilliant report so far SFO777. I had a 7 hour lay over in Bordeaux last summer and took a trip into the city. Your photos have brought back some nice memories of a quaint city. Looking forward to the wine tasting part!
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Was that white boat pictured a yacht or some other kind of boat? Very unusual looking. Great trip report. Can't wait for the Paris portion.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:00 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Was that white boat pictured a yacht or some other kind of boat? Very unusual looking. Great trip report. Can't wait for the Paris portion.
It is "A" designed by Philippe Starck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_(motor_yacht)
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
SFO777, Again beautiful photos. Great eye for composition.

Perhaps you should consider a photo clinic for us mere mortals, in a central place, say Chicago ?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Great TR and excellent photos. Thank you.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:30 am

I had no idea Bordeaux was so nice. Makes me want to visit the whole of France in a car.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:35 am

Apparently you woke up at 2.45 AM to watch the Debate?

Did you see the Saturday Night Live skit of the Debate? It was the funniest skit I have ever seen from them. Here it is:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016...ason-premiere/
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Great report as always. Always love the food portion of the report.

Not sure why but the suite decor almost makes me dizzy. lol
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Touring Le Médoc

OK, this is going to be a long day. Not a good night's sleep as we set our alarm for 2:45am to watch the debate, and then back to bed at 5am only to get at 8am to get ready for our wine tour day. Meanwhile, our neighbor is oblivious to his imminent shower.

Went with the Petit-déjeuner bien-être this morning, hoping to at least start to reign it in.

And then downstairs to meet our personable guide/driver Gilbert for today's tour of the Médoc.

Vererable Chateau Margaux, from a distance today since I waited until the last minute to book this day.

Our first official stop of the day was Chateux de Tertre, owned by Dutch businessman Eric Albada Jelgersma.

Then to lunch with Gilbert at Restaurant Savoie in the village of Margaux.

One of the best mille-feuilles ever.

A brief stop at the banks of the Garonne.

And finally to our Chateau Giscours, sister chateau to Chateau du Tretre.

This place is hopping today as it is the first day of harvest.

And to the chateau for some tasting.

Our Chateau Giscours guide Michel.

We bid adieu to our wonderful driver/guide Gilbert and promised to come back soon for a longer tour of Bordeaux wine regions. A couple hours later, we walked to nearby Le Bouchon Bordelais. Great atmosphere and food.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 4, 2016 at 10:49 pm
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
The vineyards you visited looks so beautiful just like the city of Bordeaux too!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stu1985
Brilliant report so far SFO777. I had a 7 hour lay over in Bordeaux last summer and took a trip into the city. Your photos have brought back some nice memories of a quaint city. Looking forward to the wine tasting part!
Thanks very much stu1985. We really enjoyed Bordeaux and plan to return again, as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Thanks HawaiiTrvlr and to briantoronto for the info.

Originally Posted by briantoronto
It is "A" designed by Philippe Starck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_(motor_yacht)
Originally Posted by HMPS
SFO777, Again beautiful photos. Great eye for composition. Perhaps you should consider a photo clinic for us mere mortals, in a central place, say Chicago ?
Thank you HMPS for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Great TR and excellent photos. Thank you.
Thanks very much TravellerFrequently.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I had no idea Bordeaux was so nice. Makes me want to visit the whole of France in a car.
Thanks Bretteee. We really enjoyed our short visit.

Originally Posted by apodo77
Great report as always. Always love the food portion of the report. Not sure why but the suite decor almost makes me dizzy. lol
Thanks apodo77. I appreciate it. Yeah, the suite decor is indeed not for the faint of heart.

Originally Posted by nequine
The vineyards you visited looks so beautiful just like the city of Bordeaux too!
Thank you nequine.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
So pleased you went to Bouchon Bordelais- had a hugely enjoyable dinner there a few months ago. Lovely people running it, and interesting, honest food. A great city.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Nice TR SFO777. I really enjoyed Bordeaux on a trip five years ago. First stop was Lyon and Bordeaux was followed by St. Emilion. Did Burgundy last October and hoping to get back to Bordeaux next year...looking to visit Chateau Montrose and Château Pédesclaux.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Another excellent trip report! Comparing with other topics Mrs. SFO777's Shopping Day in Paris is not completed properly. There is no single picture or description about items bought,only the meals pictures are added which are not main subject of the topic.The total amount spent must be still hurt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.