Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Tokyo, Thailand, Siem Reap, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur & Singapore in J

Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

Originally this was going to be an open end ticket as I thought I was going to sped the rest of the year and even into next in Thailand. Things didn't workout the way I imagined so I kept the ticket, paid the change fee and decided I'd sow my oats a little bit more and while still come back to Thailand to tidy up a few things I would also visit other places in SE Asia I've been wanting to check out.

-The Club @ SJC & ANA J SJC-NRT 787
-Courtyard Marriott Tokyo Station
-Tokyo
-ANA J HND-BKK 787
-Le Meridien & Bangkok
-Marriott Resort Hua Hin
-Hua Hin
-Kan Air HHQ-CNX ATR
-The De Lanna + Chiang Mai
-Air Asia CNX-KBV A320
-Dusit Thani Beach Resort
-Krabi
-Thai Airways Royal Silk KBV-BKK A330
-St. Regis Bangkok
-Bangkok Airways BKK-REP ATR
-Le Meridien Siem Reap
-Angkor Archaeological Park
-Cambodia Angkor Air REP-SGN A321
-Renaissance Riverside Saigon
-Saigon/HCMC
-Vietnam Airlines J SGN-KUL A321
-Ritz Carlton + Kuala Lumpur
-Malaysian Airlines J KUL-SIN 737
-New Majestic Hotel + Singapore
-SATS Lounge, UA J SIN-SFO, UA Arrivals Lounge SFO

If you've followed my TRs you'll know that I get lackadaisical in taking photos the more I've been to a place (i.e. Tokyo, BKK, CNX) so it'll be more photo heavy about halfway through.

Last edited by JVPhoto; Nov 10, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

ANA 787 IOJ Staggered Business SJC-NRT

Finally I could have someone take me to the airport instead of doing a one way rental. Coming from Monterey it was pretty quick and allowed my Mom to get back fast. Also was a breeze compared to going through SFO.

The Club at SJC was decent enough for 90 min. You can see the model planes in front the carriers they serve. It was "comfortably" full with just our flight, I can't imagine there's any overlap with CA, BA, LH.

A NH rep came through with a sign letting us know we could head to the gate which was literally at the end of the stairs walking out of the lounge.
No F on the plane so Diamonds board first followed by J/*G.

Made my way to the seat and was welcome with a drink. The amenity kit is fine...last time in J it was just a little mesh bag which I used for cords. One thing I noticed (compared to UA which I give them credit for) is that there isn't a pen included. A little annoying if you forget one of your own to fill out customs and arrival info.

I seriously creamed my jeans when I saw these. They smell so good! Don't tell anyone in the lounge right now but I swiped a small stack of them. I live for all things green tea.

An okay selection of canape with the sake.

Apparently my little niceties and few phrases in Japanese made the FA ask me in Japanese if I spoke Japanese...I understood that but replied in English I couldn't. She did enjoy that I was going for the JPN meal.

[IMG][/IMG]

The fruit was kinda skimpy, I should have got cheese instead of the bun.

The vegetable soup was just broth.

Got about 3.5h of sleep between watching A Hologram for the King and Money Monster.

All in all happy with the meals. I can't say I'm an expert on Japanese food, but I liked it. About 1/3 of the cabin I noticed had Western meals.

Was a quick hoof to a nearly empty passport control and then a swamped madhouse of customs exit. I tried to make the next NEX but the line to buy tickets took about 10 min so just a short wait for the next one with some tea. Had a chuckle at the tourists locking up their suitcases in the luggage section. Oh how naive! I was the same on my first trip but then I realized...this is Japan! You could leave a bag of money and no one would touch it.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Courtyard Marriott Tokyo Station

Getting to the hotel is pretty easy from Tokyo Station. I had a general idea of where it was and as long as you get out on the Yaseu side it's not hard to follow the directions the hotel even emails you. You'll cross over the main street and follow the small street that the big Yaseu book store is on...just 2 small streets down that you'll come to the Kyobashi Trust Tower and see a sign for the hotel and then it's on the main street for that building.

I was meeting a friend for dinner so I got a coffee in the station and also a "Jambalaya" (more like "Mexican" rice with some sauced chicken on it) for later since I have the habit of waking up at 3-4am starving and a little jet lagged when I arrive in Tokyo.

Nice perks! I had no idea I would get this and free breakfast at a Courtyard. I even got upgraded from a twin room to a queen.

Nice bed, deep soaking tub, lots of pillows. Enough room to leave my suitcase open on the floor and not be walking over it.
The desk is really just a small table that you can't really type or work on. Saw a fair amount of people in the lobby on their computers.

Buffet breakfast everyday 6:30-10:30 in Lava Rock at the street level. Didn't change the 4 days I was there but has a Japanese option, some Western stuff, was fine for the time I was there but would get tired on a longer stay.

Staff was friendly, great English. Was nicer than I thought it would be though this is based on 2 other CY experiences which are Budapest and Emeryville/Oakland.

Last edited by JVPhoto; Sep 27, 2016 at 1:08 am
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:37 am
Original Poster

If anyone is on SnapChat you can see more (in near real time!) by adding JV_PHOTO
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Promising start Will be great to see SGN again. The Rewards Menu seems to target short stays. If I consider it´s for free nevertheless a good offer.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:55 am
Suspended

No Tokyo Station Hotel this time?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
No Tokyo Station Hotel this time?
Ah I was going to mention that. Sadly no...not for the $600/night they wanted for my dates.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Tokyo

This is my 4th trip to Tokyo and the last time I went was April 2015 when I surprised my Mom for her birthday the day before our flight.
I love Japanese food, I love green tea, I love Yohji Yamamoto, I love bonsai trees and I love riding the wave of the city being alone but not really feeling alone.

That said the crappy weather and being lazy I didn't do a whole lot other than shop and eat, which was my intent on this "long lay over".

I hit the ground running the first night thanks to a Tinder match that had a few friends in common from the NY fashion/art scene.
Off to Omotesando to eat at Kamakura Matubara-an Keyaki.

If I had known I was in for bukkake I would have worn a different shirt.

The food was really good...I liked the soba sashimi and everything was just some solid Japanese food.

I'd go back because it's good and I felt comfortable with the menu. One of my trepidations in Japan is going and sitting down and realizing there's not an English menu (which has happened on a few occasions).

Next morning first stop was Dover Street Market in Ginza which blows NYC and London out of the water. Upstairs at Rose Bakery is a nice spot if you need wifi or a snack or a $6 americano.

Left looking quite stylish in my Nike x Stone Island wind runner...they only had 1 of my size naturally. If was wet but it was humid so couldn't wear it out.

I had a brain fart and forgot to buy some protein before I left to bring with me...which meant I would go near Tokyo Dome to Fitness Shop to find some...which was all Japanese brands so I kinda guessed by price and what I could see from the nutrition facts to at least hold me over until I get to Thailand where I know some shops. I feel bad for any Japanese gym people...this stuff is 2-3x the price in the US.

Back to Omotesando to meet a model for lunch that I would shoot that weekend. We went to City Shop which was a great select 4-5 salad deli items. All very tasty, included at coffee/tea for about $10. Very fashion shopping girl scene.

Worked out in the spartan hotel gym and then literally just put "sushi" into Google maps in the hotel area and Sushi Sari not far away...it had 4.2 stars and a few reviews in English.
I sat at the counter and did a mix of rolls and was helped by a sushi chef who when he first spoke to me I was looking down and I could have believed he was American his English was perfect. I'd say it was the best I've come across in a combined month in Japan. They were all very high-falutin rolls (prosciutto, edible flowers) but I figured I was in Japan so it was okay vs. something in Miami.

Couldn't miss a stop at the food hall at Takishamya to load up on some snacks. Dipped into the green tea house there for some matcha which was a nice respite from the bustle of the shop floor.

Also finished with sakura tea which was very unique. It had an almost salty, broth like taste to it.

I couldn't do legs in the hotel gym which meant go to one of the city public facilities for $5 and hope they had stuff I wanted to use or breakdown and pay the $30 to go to Gold's gym. In either event it also required going out and buying a $11 long sleeve tshirt and $3 for a box of bandaids to cover up my tattoos lest I get kicked out or denied entrance to the gym.
Working out with my buddy Nozomi destroyed my legs for the next 2 days.

Final day was a bit more wandering and checking out a few more shops and things including "Cat Street" off Omotesando which I had not been to. A walking street of shops (including Luke's Lobster with a huge line) that connects to Shibuya.

Some lunch at Muji Cafe was also nice to get a bunch of small bites for $10.

Picked up some $20 beef "sashimi" at Isetan's food hall for a snack that was absolutely delicious.

Final night was back to Shibuya to have dinner. I wanted some tonkatsu before I left so we found a place in the Shibuya Hikarie building.

Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: FB Platinum
There's no better city to be lazy in than Tokyo. Enjoying the report so far.

That tonkatsu looks delicious - making note of where the restaurant is now
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Nice food and what is the part I like to comment about? Yes, the t-shirts of course
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Is this really the correct picture?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole
There's no better city to be lazy in than Tokyo. Enjoying the report so far.

That tonkatsu looks delicious - making note of where the restaurant is now
I guess I forgot to mention that while it was good I've had better. This seemed more oily than what I've had before.
There's a good place I went to last trip in the Marunochi building across from Tokyo Station. I've never actually googled where to find "the best".
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I guess I forgot to mention that while it was good I've had better. This seemed more oily than what I've had before.
There's a good place I went to last trip in the Marunochi building across from Tokyo Station. I've never actually googled where to find "the best".
Thanks for that - I know the one in the Marunouchi. Took my GF in there last summer and we loved it. The real deal can often be found in "Mom'n'Pop" tonkatsu houses. There's a cracker in Sakuradai - about half way between Nerima and Ekoda. One of my friends does the odd serving shift in there but I can never find it on my own. There's also a small tonkatsu don the side of Nerima station that's excellent and, more importantly cheap as chips.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Great!! Looking forward to another SE Asia TR.
Have fun, and as usual, your photos are stunning.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Looking forward to this one. Your photos are always great JVPhoto^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.