Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo, Thailand, Siem Reap, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur & Singapore in J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
ANA 787 J HND-BKK

This was my first time flying out of Haneda and was excited because it's twice as close as Nartia and it's a new airport to check out.

Google maps had a few ways to get there either going to Tokyo Station and taking JR to monorail or the Asakusa line from Takaracho. I stopped by the front desk and they confirmed to just go to Takaracho and take one of the every 9-11 min HND express trains. I asked because on google it showed Sengakuji the line color changing and wasn't sure if it was a transfer or a new ticket etc.

The ticket took a few extra seconds of navigating the machine to find the right fare and eventually you get to a screen that shows HND and you can plop the coins in.

Lovely timing JV...fortunately it cleared out after 2-3 stops and I then had a seat the rest of the trip.

Plenty of elite help.

Quick premium security, no lines at exit passport control and I was airside 50 min from when the train picked me up at Takaracho.

I went to exchange the yen I had into baht...I needed 60 yen more to make it a clean number to get all baht back. I forgot to take my 100 yen coin out of the tray at security which meant I had about $14 worth of yen left so I got a little sake, green tea and stuff.

Lounge was pretty full. Hard to find a cushy seat if you were a group of two. Plenty of bar/counter top space.

Typical offering as the NH lounge at NRT. Nice that this one has windows and was able to see the R2-D2 livery scoot past.
I kept blowing by the sake as I wanted to have a glass before I left...finally I found it as it was sitting on a counter outside of the food area. Just one type from Akita...IRRC last time at NRT there were 3-4 to taste.

As with no F on the flight the first to board were Diamonds. Imagine if UA did that for 1K and not just GS. This left a French man complaining that people seated in economy were able to board before him in Business Class.

Sure it's not the staggered IOJ seat, but I don't mind this. For me it was comfortable to relax and recline in, not really sleeping on a 5:45min flight leaving at 11am. I'm sure a credit card blogger would throw a hissy fit.

[IMG][/IMG]

A lot more gelatinous and goo foods on this flight.

Was not a an of the bone in fried fish and peppers on the top left. The grated seaweed/yam good was interesting...hard to eat like natto.
A tiny meatball and 2 dry pieces of chicken.

I should have got the curry when we were closer to landing. I thought I was getting hungry but could hold out. Then I smelled someone else's and then I saw it was 55 min to landing and I just said screw it I'll wait. But then we did a few circles 75 miles out for about 5-7 min plus another 7 min on the ground short of the gate (waiting on a VN plane it seemed). I was rationing my RX bars for the rest of the trip so I didn't eat one. No line at passport and bags came off quick so I just grabbed bananas from the 7/11 near the train entrance.
Traffic was showing it would take 1:20 to get to Silom so I opted to take the train to Makasan and transfer to the MRT to Sam Yan. When I came from CNX for a wedding and stayed at Le Meridien earlier in the year it was a Friday night and same deal with traffic so I was familiar enough with the route and no problems this time with luggage.

There's a nice connector to get from the airport train to the MRT.

A quick walk around the temple and down the alley puts you right next to Le Meridien.

About 65 baht ($1.80) and took 55 min compared to sitting in a probably hot taxi in traffic for 90 min and spending $9-$13.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:17 am

"Sure it's not the staggered IOJ seat, but I don't mind this. For me it was comfortable to relax and recline in, not really sleeping on a 5:45min flight leaving at 11am. I'm sure a credit card blogger would throw a hissy fit."

Great line. I don't mind those seats at all. There's a thread on the ANA forum where someone is complaining about having to endure these seats on an intra-Asia flight in 2016. The thread contains the word "horrid", "horrible" and "pathetic". Glad to see you survived.

Otherwise, nice TR as always.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
ANA 787 J HND-BKK
I'm sure a credit card blogger would throw a hissy fit.
LOL ^^
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:07 am
Suspended

So...what do you do if you are not a fan of sushi? (I can't eat rice).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Eat something else. Japan has loads of food that don't include rice. Or eat sashimi!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Okay MOM!
That was the first thing she said on the surprise trip. You can a) try the other 90% of Japanese food that's not sushi b) eat at any of the countless western restaurants.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
"Sure it's not the staggered IOJ seat, but I don't mind this. For me it was comfortable to relax and recline in, not really sleeping on a 5:45min flight leaving at 11am. I'm sure a credit card blogger would throw a hissy fit."

Great line. I don't mind those seats at all. There's a thread on the ANA forum where someone is complaining about having to endure these seats on an intra-Asia flight in 2016. The thread contains the word "horrid", "horrible" and "pathetic". Glad to see you survived.

I think even on a red eye this would be fine. In fact on the TPAC leg I felt the lie flat was too flat/sunken when sleeping on my back and brought it up a few degrees. Then again I'm more prone to passing out like grandpa in the lazy boy after Thanksgiving lunch.
I was similarly content with the UA Hawaii 777 in J. On GUM-HNL-SFO I was pretty comfortable in the recliners other than take off/landing when I had to put the headrest down which actually sat square in the middle of my shoulder blade causing me to lean forward a bit at a wierd angle.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Le Meridien Silom & Bangkok

My first trip to Bangkok I did most of the sightseeing I would want to do. Now when I come back it is mostly to just hang out with friends, eat, drink a little...have some fun.

This is the 3rd or 4th time I've stayed at Le Meridien. The rates are usually pretty competitive for the quality of the hotel. This time I booked the Executive Package which included the buffet breakfast (which I say is the best compared to The W, St. Regis, Banyan Tree, JW Marriott, Renaissance), some clothes pressing and happy hour. No "upgrade" to the circle bed room, I stayed in that once but it is really just a novelty.

Looking forward to The Ritz being completed and I just noticed that near St. Regis they are building a Waldorf Astoria.

Enough variety to mix it up with Western, Japanese, Chinese, Indian breakfasts.
I actually ate one night for dinner with my friend at the buffet because he has some reservation app where you can get like 30-50% depending on the time. Funny thing was that water wasn't even included with the dinner buffet.

He and I also went to eat at The Smoking Pug just down the street. "Low and slow" Texas BBQ owned by an American guy. I had the beef, pork & chicken tacos...he had the buffalo chicken burger. It was alright, Apparently they have a smoker on the roof. Certainly has the American "comfort" food appeal going for it.

Just off Silom Soi 4 he and I also ate at Beirut which was really good. Huge Lebanese/ME menu.

A trek to the On Nut BTS and then from there still a 10-12 min walk is Muscle Factory. A gym I've gone to a few times when it was 1/3 the size it is now. It's owned by an Aussie bodybuilder and Thai partner. Certainly has to be one of the best gyms in Asia.

Stocking up on some of my favorites at the Central World grocery store on the top floor.

Who's ready for "i-tiem"?

Also a very fitting wifi network.

I had the chance to meet up and shoot with a former Mr. Thailand.

Before a little Soi 4 action my friend and I met at Silom Complex to eat. I wanted Pepper Lunch, he wanted sushi...he won, even after my protest that I had been in Japan for 4 days.
Sushi Den on the 4th floor...not bad, decent price. Better I think than Mt. Fuji next door.

They'll never learn...

Trying to get to 225#/100kg...every bit of meat helps.

I'm in Hua Hin, I rode my scooter around for an hour and my disposition has immediately changed/uplifted compared to being in Bangkok. I'll go back in 2 weeks, I'll go back next year and I'll keep going back...
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Great report. The discount restaurant app is eatigo.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Thanks for the TR; makes me miss Japan. A wonderful two and half years there. In addition to culinary aspects of Japanese culture, I would highly recommend Haruki Murakami's novels. Of course, hard to beat HND. Thanks again for sharing.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Thanks for the TR; makes me miss Japan. A wonderful two and half years there. In addition to culinary aspects of Japanese culture, I would highly recommend Haruki Murakami's novels. Of course, hard to beat HND. Thanks again for sharing.
Yes I have a book of short stories! The one which has the woman who hasn't slept for years sticks out the most.
Been a few years since I read it. Can't recall the other details.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Speaking about literature, I like the stories about Ōoka Tadasuke.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by grandgourmand

So much in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...ats-787-a.html
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:59 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Do I see it correctly - PDB is plastic glasses? And I thought NH/JL do not even offer PDB, unless in F.

And of course... great TR! (As expected)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

The Marriott Hua Hin

Bus, car, train can get you to Hua Hin. I went through Oriental Escape to book an "executive" car for about $80. All done online, pay cash on delivery and the driver was 5 min early to pick me up.

It just opened in March and seems to be a pretty hot spot. Driveway was full of luxury cars, security checking under each car with a mirror as it pulls in.

It was a bit of a madhouse checking in. Luckily since it was just me someone did it from the couch area instead of waiting for a desk to open.
They drove me to the room since the grounds are big and I was closest to the beach.

So they gave me a room with two beds. The same thing happened when I was in Phuket at Twin Palms...there they could push them together. Not so much here, I didn't feel like going to the front and asking. They did confirm it was just me when I checked in. At least they gave me a 4pm check out. I feel that is pulling teeth with Marriott group to even get 2pm...SPG they'll offer even if I don't ask.

The place is only 6 months old so everything is new and polished.

Breakfast was a madhouse on the weekend but the whole place quieted down after Sunday.

I'd give the space an 8 but the food a 6-7.

A lot more families than I expected but realized after they have a whole kids water zone and what not. There is an adult pool which shelters you from that a bit.

On the site they show distant islands from the beach view...not so much. It's some war ships and guys trying to get you to ride their horse.

At the front o the hotel is Siam Bakery which was great. Tons of pastries and breads and coffee.

Was a decent choice. If you're going with kids you'll probably love it. If I were to come back (or were a couple) I would probably try something else out.

I was also going to do all the Hua Hin post as well but my finger slipped on the track pad halfway through writing it and made the browser go back losing it all...another night or two and I will!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.