Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Tokyo, Thailand, Siem Reap, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur & Singapore in J

Tokyo, Thailand, Siem Reap, Saigon, Kuala Lumpur & Singapore in J

Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Krabi

Just outside of the resort is the little "town" of Klong Muang where there's a 7/11, some laundry places, scooter rental and what not. So it was easy to get a bike to get myself out and about.
I wanted to workout before I got into a relaxation mode and found a place that just opened called Heroic Fitness that nearly smelled like fresh paint in Ao Nang below a new hotel. Really nice spot including towel and locker for 250 baht/day.

Following google maps you stay on the "main" roads but if you follow the signs to the different beaches/areas you get to roll through some nice smaller roads.

Quite the view but I had to get used to that I was now in the beach area of Thailand where everything would be 2x the price but 1/2 as good as the north.

It was here that I first looked out on the beach and noticed movement.

Crabs! So many crabs! This is just a small %...they were EVERYWHERE in swarms. It was so cool to sit and watch. There were these ones that swarmed in the beach during low tide and also at the beach by the hotel there were an additional type.

All of the little balls of sand were from these guys digging out their holes and certain parts it was entirely covered. Both types of crabs seem to be able to feel when you walk and move towards them and they scatter or hide. But with these ones I was able to stand still on a stone and eventually they all started to come out again like I wasn't there. These guys are rather funny they have one GIANT claw and then a much smaller arm.

Funny how nature mimic's itself...see the palm tree?

Along the stretch of beach by Dusit there was a Thai place I couldn't get the name for. Slightly less expensive than the "downtown" beach strip ones.

For dinner I google best place in Ban Klong Muang and Bang Toi came up. It was really good, amazing beef panang.

Off early to check out Tiger Cave Temple and Wat Tham Sua. Initially I was going to over look this because when I said "tiger" and "temple" I thought it was one of those horrible tourist traps where they drug tigers and throw them in a "temple" for people to come see. I am glad I made a closer look.
So the goal is that gold tip on the top o the mountain.

And to get there....

Note a majority of these are not "regulation" steps...many are 1.5-2x the height of a normal stairs step.
Like Koko Head on Oahu I wanted to see how fast I could do it and make this my workout for the day.

17 minutes later I was at the top...

And there's free wifi! But I think that may be a gift from the telecom company that has all their radio antennas up there.

At the base I stopped into the Tiger Temple once I came back down which was nice and cooling. The steps are mostly covered by plants so the sun isn't a problem, it's just the hot dead air.

Also some "planespotting" near the pagoda.

Another little place on the road between Klong Maung and Ao Nang I found was Robie's Country Cafe. Nice and relaxing spot with friendly family running it and good food.

After the climb and food some time to relax in the beach area and pool at the hotel.

I went further up the road to find something for dinner and Sabai Beach Bar looked cute and had a nice ambience.

The food was good, but again you're paying for the locale and in this case the tom kha, tamarind mix seafood and soda water was 500 baht.
It was here that they made the "official" announcement regarding The King.

The next thing I wanted to do was to climb to Nong Thale peak in the national park that is just up the road from the Dusit passed Sofitel, Ritz and Amari Vogue.
On the way I stopped at Tap Kaek Seafood. Again...2x what you'd pay in Chiang Mai but here they also have a captive audience because aside from the hotel dining there's not a whole lot unless you ride/drive 15-20 min into town.

You can't miss the park because the road just dead ends into the parking lot. There's a tent with about 4-5 military guys who have you sign in your name, time, number in group, hotel. I read online that they charged but they didn't ask me for any money. It had a tip box there which I put in 20 baht when I left. When I walked into the gate near the big map of the trail a man jumped up and decided he would show me a picture of the peak and tell me how to get there (as though I couldn't read the English map) and basically asked me for a tip. I said in Thai "You're crazy, I'm not tiping you. I can read!"

I got there just before 2 and the sign said the park closed at 4. I knew the hike was long but I decided I would try to get to the top in an hour or just passed in case I had to turn back.

These are nearly vertical.

Thankfully I found a really good walking stick as that helped me hoof it up.

Going and going and going...realized that it was 3.8km ONE WAY and not round trip. I got to a sign saying 1.2km left and knew I could make it by 3. Sure enough 1h5m I made it to the top.

Actually on the way up some dense mist/storm clouds rolled in which nearly made the whole view worthless. By the time I got to the top and came down to some of the other overlooks it was clearing out so I could take some photos.

The shot to get is the one sitting/standing out there on that ledge.

When I was going up I passed a few people coming down. When I got to the top there was a farang couple and a group of 2 Thai couples so I felt I didn't need to sprint back to make it down by 4.

A group I saw pull up when I arrived to start I passed on the way down and were still coming up. Judging by us starting at almost the same time and how long I was up there and how much they still need to hike I would say it probably takes most people not doing it as fast as they can about 1:45-2h.

On the way down I was muuuuuch slower. The cut on my foot from a rock on the beach and just being tired in general and more carful coming down it took me about 1h35m to get down. Even then I saw more people going up so perhaps the 4pm is the cut off to START the hike?

Turning in my scooter, couldn't go far, ate next door at Coffee Club which was plenty of pink kitsch and some really good garlic tiger prawns.

I did Phi Phi Islands my first time in Thailand when I was in Phuket. I was tempted to do a boat trip to Hong Islands or the "Four Islands" but couldn't find anything that looked decent and only did a half day as I didn't want to spend from 9-5 doing that and suck up a whole day.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Some beautiful views there!

I have a friend in Thailand just now and he's been told to watch his demeanour outside ie no smiling/laughing etc.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
Some beautiful views there!

I have a friend in Thailand just now and he's been told to watch his demeanour outside ie no smiling/laughing etc.
Well as I mentioned in Bangkok the black is much more noticeable.

But yes as per a note from the hotel: "Additionally, please refrain from any behavior that may be interpreted as festive, disrespectful or disorderly."
Which I believe goes more with the whole canceling of entertainment for 30 days where revelry for no reason other than being on holiday and getting piss drunk on Soi Cowboy than having to walk around like a sour puss all day.
Siam Paragon and Central World were both packed today and in the food court people are eating, smiling, enjoying time with friends and family.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
^ Great Krabi photos.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Beautiful pictures of the trees
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Thai Airways Royal Silk KBV-BKK A330

10:10 flight leaving Dusit Thani at 8am was more than enough time. Took us about 35 min to get to the airport. He dropped me off at T2 so I just had to walk on the connector back to T1 to the TG check in area.

Luckily not an issue or Royal Silk though I did get a scowl when I walked up and the person in the Y line was about to go to the RS agent but she stopped him and motioned for me.

The lounge is airside and it's a pretty decent space. I like it better than CNX and from what I remember of HKT 2.5 years ago it is nicer here as well. Typical 7/11 ramen bowls and little fruits and cakes offered. The bathroom is halfway across the terminal.

Seriously? Are you that exhausted at 9:30am?

A reef is starting to form at security.

The terminal was absolutely disgusting. Horrible stained ripped carpets, the walls. The vendors made Penn Station look like a place you'd take someone on a date compared to this.

Some people eager to end their holiday lining up and eventually didn't understand why RS/*G/Plat were getting to go in front of them.

A330 with about 10 people in the front cabin. Dated, but comfortable. Not as retro as the A300 I got to fly BKK-HKT-BKK!

A cold lunch plate with macaroni salad, some shrimp (did it really need to be deep fried) and this almond tart which I've had before and I treat myself to one big sugary bite of.

Really friendly and precise crew. Seemed more like they would be doing BKK-LHR A380 F.

One thing with Thai...their dowdy uniforms HAVE TO GO. The dusty and muted purple/lilac/lavender color is neither classic nor modern. The smocks they wear in the cabin are so Kindergarten Teacher it's laughable. The men's suit jackets make me think they are a waiter at Spago in 1997. Now on the l/h flights when they wear their Thai silks that is special, unique and great. But seeing most agents around the airport and then the rest of the flights. Compare that with Thai Smile which has this really vibrant color and great uniform style. Nok and Air Asia even stand out more and don't make you think that this is your granny's airline.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:20 am
Original Poster

St. Regis Bangkok

Hard to complain about St. Regis...I would say it's probably my favorite hotel in town. Quick stay to recharge before heading off.

Conveniently located (attached by a skybridge) to Ratchadamri BTS, 1 stop to Siam, 1 stop to Sala Daeng/Silom. Traffic look horrible so I opted to take the airport train to Phaya Thai then BTS 2 stops to Siam and 1 to Ratchadarmi still only took about 55 min vs. the 1:20 it showed on google for traffic.

Nice and hardly used pool area and fitness center.

The Drawing Room off the 12th floor lobby has big windows and looks out onto the golf course and race track.

Breakfast isn't bad.

Nice little touch the maid left a cleaning cloth next to my glasses one morning.

Things were pretty mellow with the mandatory mourning, so I didn't go out. I did have brunch one morning off Thanon Convent at Indigo French Brasserie. 420 baht set menu with choice of 2 courses.

Bye bye Bangkok...see you in April.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Bangkok Air BKK-REP

This would be my 3rd time flying PG. First time was from Chiang Mai to Koh Samui as they had the non-stop flights. It wasn't too busy of a day and everyone filing in the line ahead of me were able to walk up to podiums.

Now this would be my first time flying ex-BKK INTL not in TG F or connecting (HKT-BKK-CDG). Now I know how the other half lives! Took about 15-17min to get through immigration. I seemed to pick the line that had the agent who took 2x as long to process someone as the other lines. Had I known they wouldn't be enforcing the ASEAN passports line, a huge Chinese tour group plopped in there, I would have just used that line.

This was also my first time really going through BKK's concourses. I wandered around for a bit and then stopped by the Bangkok Air lounge (it's an access for all pax) for a minute before heading to find the (bus) gate.

They do board by Zone 1 & 2 by with a bus for each zone. Which makes sense as the plane loads from the back so rows 1-10 go first to not clog the aisles.

Being in Zone 1 means you'll also get off last.
This was an ATR-600 from what I read is newer in their fleet compared to the 500s. This ATR also was noticeably roomier in leg room and shoulders than the one I took on Kan from Hua Hin. I also had am empty seat next to me.

55 min flight with a good duck noodle dish.

Beautiful landing into Siem Reap.

I had got my visa online and you just print out 2 copies of it in advance. Easy peasy...it seemed 1/2 of the Western tourists went to the Visa on Arrival section. Was very fast to get through, bags came pretty quick. The arrival hall is new, modern with wood and traditional accents. Hoping the departures area feels just as nice.

I had the hotel arrange to pick me up and meet me since I didn't know if it was going to be a gong show or what it was like arriving in REP (still not bad for $17 each way).
I was hoping he was leading me to this old Mercedes!!

Sadly not...I just had an older Lexus.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
They seem to love this old cars in Siem Reap. Aman has an old Mercedes. More a fan of newer cars.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: FT
I can smell the inefficient combustion of that old merc from my office!!! I agree. Too bad that was not your chariot.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels

That looks so much more appetizing than the ubiquitous molded lump of rice in many places around the world.

Many thanks for your comments to my earlier question. I am really enjoying this TR. ^
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

A vintage car would have been quite special for the quick 15min drive to the hotel. However, for exploring Angkor park I'm appreciating newer car with a/c. LM seems to have a few RX300s as I'm in another one yesterday and today that I've been able to hire for my tour.

I've seen quite a few Range Rovers around the city as well.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Spire, HHonors Diamond, EK Gold
I have fond memories of touring the Angkor complex in a Raffles RX300 a few years ago. I felt like a complete colonial twonk for the first hour or so but the cold towel and beer after each stop soon won me over.

Nice report by the way. Your accounts of day to day experiences in exotic locales resonates.

Last edited by FinalCallDXB; Oct 20, 2016 at 8:22 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: trash airline program here
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
A vintage car would have been quite special for the quick 15min drive to the hotel. However, for exploring Angkor park I'm appreciating newer car with a/c. LM seems to have a few RX300s as I'm in another one yesterday and today that I've been able to hire for my tour.

I've seen quite a few Range Rovers around the city as well.
This reminds me of what felt like the hottest day of my life- Ms.Gripevo and I were touring Angkor Wat during the summer heat wave, and stupidly hired a hotel tuk-tuk instead of a car(just to get a more authentic experience...lol). I think I may have drank/sweated out about 10 gallons of water during the 8 hours we were there. Live and learn...
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Uggghhh I wrote half to the for Angkor and accidentally closed the browser so I'll try to re-do it tonight when I get to Vietnam.

Yes the car was a very smart idea on the tour! Though I wanted to tell the driver he didn't have to open and close the door for me. Tuk tuks looked cool but I also feel we were able to do much faster with the car.

So enjoy a photo while you wait.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.